What's the deal with everyone using suppresors?

I don’t have a strong opinion either way about suppressors and brakes. But pop tarts?

Pop tarts ARE dangerous! They are made of the most dense material known to mankind. Depleted uranium? BAH! If you happen to be too close to the top of the toaster, when they come up, there’s a good chance to slice your head right off. They should only be prepared with adult supervision and proper safety gear.

It’s a little known fact that over 950,000 people were killed last year by the simultaneous consumption of pop tarts and Mountain Dew. When the two are mixed in the stomach, it produces so much gas that people just swell up and die. Of course Big Sugar and their paid for politicians are suppressing the whole thing. (see what I did there?)

WCB

WKR
As stated before I have not bought one sort of on principle of the tax stamp and blah blah blah...just not sure in what world anyone could think a brake is better than suppressed. I won't tell guys to shoot suppressed or not shoot suppressed. I have 100% asked a client to shoot his un-braked rifle when I was a guide and follow the old saying of "friends don't let friends shoot brakes"

I don’t believe shooting suppressed helps with second shots on animals due to I’ve seen animals run and stay after the first shot with both suppressor and muzzle breaks.
If you bought a suppressor and am trying to justify why you got one, all you need to say is I like how it reduces the noise. That’s enough right there! I might get one just for that reason only.
I'll take you Predator hunting sometime. While I have had doubles, triples, and quads with unsuppressed rifles. Sometimes shooting a Coyote, and instantly cranking a distressed or injured pup sound immediately has turned a animal spooked from the gun shot around. It was very rare that a coyote coming in would just keep coming or pause for a second and then continue on. 90+% of the time you shoot and they take off.

Started hunting with guys that shoot suppressed ( I don't). Almost instantly noticed most times if the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th yote was a decent distance out they would barely miss a step. And if they were in the wheel house majority of the time they spin take a couple quick steps and look at the dead coyote we just shot or it flopping around. It got so obvious that I started taking the back Coyote and leave the close or first ones for the guys running suppressed.

Sorry, you specifically said people who don't think hearing protection is needed with a suppressor are mistaken after quoting numbers below 140 dBA. See quote below. If you worded that poorly, fine, but at least admit it was poorly worded rather than argue that you did not say what you clearly did.

"Let me try this again" implies I worded it poorly. JohnJohnson gets to assume implications are legit, so I'll say "Let me try this again" implies that.

First off, none of us are really interested in what terminology you have heard used before, knowing what you have heard before and what you have not, in the every day world, doesn't mean squat.

The reason to bring up (using sneer quotes no less) the fact one has not heard a term before is to imply that those who use it are somehow ignorant on the topic. Given that it is a common term, in common usage, all it shows is a lack of experience with other user subgroups rather than ignorance on the part of those who use it.

Whatever...🙄

I don’t have a strong opinion either way about suppressors and brakes. But pop tarts?

Pop tarts ARE dangerous! They are made of the most dense material known to mankind. Depleted uranium? BAH! If you happen to be too close to the top of the toaster, when they come up, there’s a good chance to slice your head right off. They should only be prepared with adult supervision and proper safety gear.

It’s a little known fact that over 950,000 people were killed last year by the simultaneous consumption of pop tarts and Mountain Dew. When the two are mixed in the stomach, it produces so much gas that people just swell up and die. Of course Big Sugar and their paid for politicians are suppressing the whole thing. (see what I did there?)
Finally, someone gets it.

So, I guess what I really need to post is YES! suppressors are an absolute must and I am foolish to think that wearing ear pro is not doing me any favors while using a muzzlebreak shooting at the range in the wide open air.

I had no idea that the concussive forces are causing me irreparable harm both to my hearing and internal anatomy.

I am thankful this discussion has occured because now I am more experienced on the matter. I should never have expressed anykind of opinion or bias because it clearly was wrong, wrong, wrong.

Is that what you're looking for @Marbles?

ManBun

FNG
I'll take you Predator hunting sometime. While I have had doubles, triples, and quads with unsuppressed rifles. Sometimes shooting a Coyote, and instantly cranking a distressed or injured pup sound immediately has turned a animal spooked from the gun shot around. It was very rare that a coyote coming in would just keep coming or pause for a second and then continue on. 90+% of the time you shoot and they take off.

Started hunting with guys that shoot suppressed ( I don't). Almost instantly noticed most times if the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th yote was a decent distance out they would barely miss a step. And if they were in the wheel house majority of the time they spin take a couple quick steps and look at the dead coyote we just shot or it flopping around. It got so obvious that I started taking the back Coyote and leave the close or first ones for the guys running suppressed.
I appreciate the offer and the reply. Learn something new everyday! Never designated myself to hunting coyotes before so had no idea how suppressor sound works with them. Only popped them off when they gave me an opportunity while big game hunting.
When I was talking animals I should have stated big game animals I have hunted and have experience with, Elk, Mule deer, Black Bear and Antelope.

WTFJohn

WKR
Especially for those [of us] that shoot less than 10 rounds per year.

So, I guess what I really need to post is YES! suppressors are an absolute must and I am foolish to think that wearing ear pro is not doing me any favors while using a muzzlebreak shooting at the range in the wide open air.

I had no idea that the concussive forces are causing me irreparable harm both to my hearing and internal anatomy.

I am thankful this discussion has occured because now I am more experienced on the matter. I should never have expressed anykind of opinion or bias because it clearly was wrong, wrong, wrong.

Is that what you're looking for @Marbles?

I'm not sure why you have such strong opinions based on an admitted sub 10 shot round count for a year (!!!).

Stalker69

WKR
The most coyotes we have had come in at the same time has been four, we got the four of them and this was before buddy has his suppressed. Got two almost to the call, and the other two kept coming in, didn’t even look as though they heard the shot. Have had it happen many times on two at a time. One down and other just stops and looks at dead one. Or turns to run but wonders why his buddy isn’t running. I can’t say we have noticed any difference when my buddy shoots his suppressed, some run some don’t. Same thing un suppressed. Now if we have some one with us and they move , or yell after they shoot. Gigs up.
Pigs seem to be the same, sometimes they scatter, sometimes barley flinch, some times run off and come back, sometimes may not see them again for weeks or the same group (or boar) ever. Can’t say they react any differently no matter what you shoot them with. Bow, pistol, shotgun, rifle, suppressed or not.

Last edited: