What is the attraction of elk hunting?

I'm probably strange, but give me a cliffy hardwood Ozarks ridge about 2 miles from the truck, with the whitetail rut rolling, and I'm a really happy guy.

But no one else should do it.

You'd take that over a bull bugling, pissing himself, and destroying a tree in front of you?

Hunters are optimistic. We know 90% of the time we are going to fail, but focus on the 10%! Guys are looking for a fun hunt with buddies in the mountains and if successful, you get delicious meet! That said, I’m going to avoid the crazy OTC areas and hunt my low point draw areas

I wish hunting clients looked at it that way. The vast majority do not.
OTC most are fine with a 10% success rate. Once you crack open the piggy bank for a guide you expect the success rate to increase some. Can’t imagine an outfit staying in business for long if they can’t beat OTC odds

OTC most are fine with a 10% success rate. Once you crack open the piggy bank for a guide you expect the success rate to increase some. Can’t imagine an outfit staying in business for long if they can’t beat OTC odds

Yeah, virtually 100% of current day guided clients expect to kill. For them, it's all about the killing, rather than the hunting. Guided clients almost always look at a hunt as a kill-fest, rather than an actual huntIng adventure. Sad.

Attraction of elk hunting?

Well, I'll say I grew up east coast. Most years ( last 30+ ) I have taken at least 2 whitetails., sometimes 4 or 5. Have gobs of small racks and 8 shoulder mounts ALL whitetail.
If you have ever archery hunted September and had a bull in close and bugle in your face you should or would understand the attraction.

I'll argue for most shooting a mature bull on an OTC tag comes harder than a mature whitetail. At least that's my opinion from experience.

I have chased OTC and general tag bulls in Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana.
Elk=5
Me-0
Been so close multiple times.
I go as far as to say " Elk Hunt attraction? "
Nahh......its an addiction, that's become all encompassing.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I get it. If I lived east of Colorado I'd be willing to pay $800 every September just to come out and camp in the mountains for a week plus. Might as well throw in an elk tag too if I was going to be here anyway. Deer don't interest me much at all, they don't bugle. If elk didn't bugle, I doubt I'd be hunting them at this point. I still remember the first time I heard elk bugle. I was 2 and we were camping on the Upper Green in WY in September of 1967. Those elk started up soon after sundown on both sides of the valley. Kept me awake most the night, and all I could think of was "some day, I'm going to be hunting these wonderful creatures". It's been an addiction ever since.

Last edited:

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
I don't hunt public land but do hunt a OTC unit in CO. After hunting elk during bow season for several years, I have very little interest in chasing whitetails at home. I tell people that haven't been elk hunting that is similar to taking the very best parts of deer hunting and spring turkey hunting and combining them together. Elk taste better than deer too IMO. Then there is the scenery, the cool mountain air in September with no humidity. Everything about it is awesome. Hearing a bull bugle is the most majestic thing in nature and that is why I keep coming back. Any excuse to spend time out west is good for me and, with a bow in my hand, it takes the cake.

You'd take that over a bull bugling, pissing himself, and destroying a tree in front of you?
I wouldn't. Hell, watching the bull i killed in the Bob standing on that bald ridge for the first time at 500 yards, his giant horns swaying side to side looking for the "challenger", and then turning and marching our way stiff legged and hackled up... Literally still dream about it today.

mikeafeagin22

Lil-Rokslider
Elk hunting in the mountains is a super unique experience.

I grew up in the upper Midwest - we sat in a rifle blind from 5am until 5pm, freezing our dicks off, HOPING a deer walked by. Everyday, same thing, for at least a week. We absolutely loved it.

It is literally the most boring hunt ever. I moved to colorado 16 years ago and started mountain hunting right away. You couldn’t pay me enough to go back and sit in a blind all day like that again.

You and I are spoiled. We live in colorado - it’s a beautiful and amazing place. Most of these people live in a shit hole town in the Midwest, zero scenery, not much wildlife. Coming to colorado for an elk hunting is absolutely the highlight of their year.

Don’t take what you have for granted ;-)
I think you hit the nail square on the head right here..

Fuenstock

FNG
What’s the attraction?
A freezer full of quality meat and the solitude.
Im lucky to live where I hunt so it’s not expensive or hard for me to get out after them.