What I learned about archery this week

hflier

WKR
So I have been in a panic for weeks trying to get my bow tuned for my Arizona Bull hunt in 6A later this week. Nothing made sense. I shoot a Bear Legion bow. I was using Gold Tip Extreme Hunter arrows. I could not get groups at all. I began to think I was blind! I mean I had arrows going all over the place no matter what tuning tips I followed. I'm talking 8 inch group radius at 20 yards. Nothing worked. So by reading up a little more here and elsewhere, I went back to square one on arrow selection. Dropped some cash on a dozen Easton FMJ's and Montec G5's 125 grains yesterday. So now I have the recommended spine (thought I did before), helical fletching (insteadof straight), a heavy high quality arrow and a FOC of 12-13. Shoot my first point at 20 yards almost dead center. Adjust a little, and wham, dead on. Groups 1". Now to the broadheads, shoot another field point, then a broadhead. Broadhead a little low and to the left. Moved my rest a little. Then adjust a my knock point a time or two and boom, broadheads and fieldpoints impacting the same. All adjustments produced the correct corresponding changes in arrow flight. Something that was random before.

Moral of the story for all of us newer archers. Man arrows are important!!!!!. Good quality, correct spine, FOC and helical fletching with broadheads can make all the difference. Your groups suck, have you focused on your arrows?

SDHNTR

WKR
Glad you got it sorted out, but man, do yourself a favor and get this stuff worked out long before such an important hunt!

OP
hflier

hflier

WKR
LOL, I been struggling. I don't have many contacts here in OK since I am a transplant. I have a bow shop close by, but they are not exactly customer friendly. They like to sell you things, but not give advice. I have been shooting for the last couple of months, but with field points and that was my downfall. When I started to practice and longer distances for Elk instead of Whitetail and shot some broadheads it all went to hell. That won't happen again. I will not only train my body all year now, I will shoot all year, even in the snow. Also, once I get dial in I am not changing a thing!