What I don't bring on a backpack hunt anymore!

tttoadman

WKR
I prefer to go stoveless and have dry food only. I think I am done messing with solar panels. It never worked out for me very good.
Soft shell jacket

Wool sweater. I now have a proper 4 layer setup that is good for all weather.

Folding and fixed blade knives in sheaths are gone. Now a havalon and a 2 oz multi tool.

Saw is gone.

DSLR with a 75-300IS lense. Imagine the bulk on that pile.

A guy talked me into taking my mini tripod chair last year. I don't think I will fall for that again.

I have ditched the second flashlight for a mini keychain light as a backup.

This does seem to be one of those lists that can keep going on and on.

JDeanP

Lil-Rokslider
It's easy to forget the things you need to put in your pack. Sometimes it takes some reminding of the things to leave at home.

Not that I listen or anything.

bowuntr

WKR
Some good stuff here....

I always evaluate my gear and suprise myself with what I'm willing to leave behind... and the heavy stuff I'm willing to take. Like my SLR camera, I wouldn't go on the mountain without it. Then, my first aid kit wouldn't save a mouse.

One guy I hunt with is harcore and I wouldn't expect him to carry anything that is not absolutely necessary. Well... last year on top of the mountain he whips out a one pound bag of salami, a box of crackers and a can of squeeze cheese.... WTF... Everyday he taunted me and made me watch him eat that stuff. He finally shared after a few threats. I'm bringing my own this year. The give and take is always a battle... Ed F

gethuntin

WKR
I see a few mention they only take a rain jacket for an outer coat. Are you guys still packing a puffy for warmth. And what are some good options out there for rain j jackets for weight and quietness? I have a marmot precip that I like for the price but it's a bit noisy.

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a used mini leatherman (squirt P4) on ebay couple years back to replace the full size. It was $9. They are all over ebay. Airport security confiscations.

This also counts as my back-up knife. The blade sure is short but I'm sure I could do some damage with it!

ethan

WKR
What was your intention for the bucket? Seems like an odd item.

On a hiking trip with a friend once who had a collapsable gallon "bucket" like that. I thought it was pretty silly at first, but it actually had a lot of uses from washing dishes to purifying water, etc.... I still don't pack one, just sayin...

I definitely have paired down the things i take over the last several years. I take very little extra clothes anymore. One pair of socks on my feet and one extra pair.

I only carry one pot for cooking, drinking coffee, oatmeal, whatever...

I still carry an extra compass and more than one way to start a fire, as in multiple lighters!!

I still carry to much in my first aid kit.

Well, I took trekking poles with me on a scouting trip last week, for the very first time. Those will be staying home from now on too. I think they actually made it more difficult for me than easier.

Thats one thing ive dumped. Hate those things.

Trekking poles are the only thing ive permanently dumped from my kit. But some things I dont carry all the time.

Extra "camp" water bag. Only carry it when I know water sources will be few and far between and I need to stockpile.
Misc clothing. I dont carry a stocking cap or warm gloves in September. I ALWAYS bring two pair of socks, whether its two days or 20 days. Change my socks at noon EVERY day.
Certain foods. Short "long weekend" hunts, ill skimp on food a bit knowing I wont be in long.

I do carry two sources of fire, compass/map/GPS, and a basic first aid kit (tape, anti-bacterial and iodine) religiously.

I still carry a pocket knife in addition to a critter cleaner knife. But, I always have a pocket knife on me anyway, old habits die hard.

I carried one of those white "ultralite" stake hammers on my first trip in case I couldn't find a rock of the proper size along with my entire collection of Hanes underwear, cotton sox for each day, bdu s & Wrangler jeans! I did save weight by cutting my toothbrush in half.:)

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
They do have a learning curve. A curve I have up on, I look like a dumbass trying to use them. They are nice for steep downhills though

I used them all the way up and didn't like them then, and downhill is when I gave up on them. Strapped them to my pack and all was well again.

No stove, no coffee. Stove always goes.

Absolutely! Sometimes I even take it with me on day hunts for afternoon coffee. Nothing like a hot cup of coffee mid afternoon on the mountain on a cool dreary day.

Last edited:
Whisper lite stove with two pots and a pan.
Tent
Blue tarp
Water filter I use pills or boil my afternoon cup of coffee at a water source.
Contacts and cleaner. Lasic :)
Bear hanging stuff
Pillow
Camp chair. I carry this during hiking/scouting but not hunting.
Rain pants
Pistol

Hasn't saved me too much weight though as a done went and added a para stove, axe, tripod and spotter.

Funny how some thighs are love it or leave it. I would never go without my trekking poles. Others will carry a stove just for coffee.

I almost forgot. I also stopped carrying a gps a few years ago. I'd still pack it to a new area but have found it tougher and tougher to get lost with a paper map and compass.

bobhunts

WKR
I am a work in progress. Leave a ton of stuff that I think I might use. I think about what I might use on one day. That seems to whittle it down pretty quick! Seems I always over pack food. That is my learning curve. Bob.

littlebuf

Banned
What I don't take on a backpack hunt any more?

City boys and flatlanders