What I don't bring on a backpack hunt anymore!

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Another member came up with this thread, so I can't take credit, but lets list the items that we use to bring on a backpack hunt that no longer make the cut.

This will be very informational for newbie backpack hunters, so please post your list.

Sharpening stone (I bring a havalon)

Several extra socks and underwear (buy merino wool)

canned food (I know, crazy, but I would bring it in my younger days)

0 degree sleeping bag for September hunts (Buy a good 20 and save the weight)

First Aid Kit (Duct tape and pain killers now)

D rings (Looked good in the movies, but stupid idea)

Bow press (probably the worst thing to pack on a hunt...keep it in the truck)

Cotton clothing (I'm blaming this on ignorance and poverty)

More than 1 set of pants (Bring what you wear in)

Regular soap (I use Sea to Summit dehydrated now)

A set of Allen wrenches (I bring the important ones now)

Energy Drinks (I bring pills now:) )

I'll post more as I think of them:)

dotman

WKR
So do you still carry the can opener :).

Tool kit to cover any bow issues (only take small pliers, extra material for d-loop and allens that fit the sight)
The 3 extra pairs of socks i always had but never used
First aid kit, what good is a band-aid?
Extra batteries (use lithium and if they die you will still survive)
Extra food (seemed to always pack an extra day)
Wet wipes (great idea but i seem to always forget i have them)
Bar soap (grand ideas of creek baths)

Last edited:

Hoyts n Mulies

Lil-Rokslider
This thread will be useful for me!

Used to carry headlamp and two flashlights. Now I only take in one flashlight.
Only bring one bladder bag now.

I've been considering leaving my bow repair kit at the truck. I've got a little portable press in it but it's about 3lb's. My first backpack hunt I was hiking in at midnight with my bow strapped to my pack and a stick got between my strings and rolled my string off my cam and down onto my limb. Without that press I'd have been walking the 8 miles back to the truck in the morning instead of hunting elk. Ever since then it's hard to leave it behind.

Last edited:

gil_wy

Lil-Rokslider
All of what Aron said (I do carry super glue in my med kit so i'm not quite as daredevil :) )... Plus I don't pack in a stove anymore... Vaccum sealed bagels sandwiches for me now... HATED having to cook at the end of a long day...

Gman

WKR
Dookie trowel
Food that I have to prepare and cook - all hot water all the time.
Mini coffee shop, all sorts of silly presses and gadgets - Via is my friend!
Heavy pots/pans - I've leveraged my kid's education for titanium wherever possible
Non-backpacking shelter - fat fiberglass poles, oh man.
Too much ammo on rifle hunts. Still carry about 7 shells but used to carry like 20.
Eggs once - seriously.
Like others said way too much clothing. One of the biggest weight losses I made was refining my clothing system and trusting that you need less with high quality stuff.
Full on multi-tool. Now carry small Swiss army knife for around camp and hunting knife.

I'm sure theres more but that's all I'll admit right now.

Lawnboi

WKR
Everything thats been said, minus the first aid kit. I keep a little more with me then that.

Im done carrying wet wipes, and deoderant.... im going to stink even with both so no point in taking them.

Only 1 set of long underwear, merino. I can do with that, im not that stinky of a person.

I need a 20 degree bag as well!

Man oh man... LEt me see....

Too much clothing, you don't need as much as you think, like its been said buy merino wool and quality gear.
Too much survival gear *signal mirrors, waterproof matches, etc* Bic lighter and cotton balls with vaseline do just fine, its not like you're going to need to survive for a month.
2 heavy duty knives *Havalon now*
Lots of people take too much in their first aid kit as well, you'd be surprised what you can do with duct tape. People need to realize that you are going to be a few miles back in, but that huge gash and what not can be closed with duct tape and surgical glue and you can walk out if need be.
I have a few more I just can't think of it at the moment...

BMB

Lil-Rokslider
Dutch oven.....yeah i did it a couple times during season, thing weighed like 6 or 7 lbs. (i chalk that up to being a dumbass)
potatos.......excuse above. although a elk loin/potato dinner was awesome after 7 days.
10person group First Aid kit.....i was a wee bit nervous at 19
walmart brand dome tent (6person)......i was 18 and had NO money, but a strong back.

I never brought camp shoes. I have seen many bring crocks. If you are glassing all day your feet cant be that tired and I am at camp 35-45 minutes at night before I am in the bag.

Yukondog

WKR
Dookie trowel

That is hilarious!! I can't stop laughing about that. I imagine a guy with a spade thrown over his shoulder singing "It's off to work I go". Awesome!

For me: Too many clothes. Stick with one of each and usually two merino boxers and two darn tough socks.

Food - my buddy took a 5lb bag of trail mix. I tend to over pack as well.

Extra knives - now Havalon and Juice Leatherman (maybe soon to be squirt leatherman)

Long time ago I would carry ALL my water for a trip.

Car keys, Wallet and Phone. I have recently arrived on this train. I spend good money on saving 6oz and then I dump my wallet, keys and phone in my bag!! Here is the kicker - 16oz. That is what my stuff weights. Spend hundreds to save and then at the trailhead turn around and squat to the tune of ONE POUND. Never again.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Soft shell jackets stay behind and no more than one pair of socks other than the ones on my feet

hooker

Lil-Rokslider
Haha great thread! Lotz got covered here. Gotta add this pile of crap to the list of my things that are NOT "Rok" solid.

Gerber sliding saw. DON'T DO IT!!!!!! :)

slim9300

WKR
Dryzone Portable boot dryers (good idea in theory but paper towels are MUCH lighter, work faster and can be burned)
Multiple sets of clothes (I still like a second pair of merino wool socks. Call me soft)
A Jacket that isn't also my rain coat
An external frame pack for the pack in and out, and a small daypack for hunting
Extra food
Black Diamond Tri-Pod Bivy (Unless you love a coffin and a soaked bag)
30 degree bag (My 15 degree Helium is perfect for me for on typical 20 and 30 degree September nights)
Soap (2 large body wipes every 3 or 4 days work great and I don't have to get into another 40 degree mountain stream)
A bungee chord

Last edited:

slim9300

WKR
Another member came up with this thread, so I can't take credit, but lets list the items that we use to bring on a backpack hunt that no longer make the cut.

This will be very informational for newbie backpack hunters, so please post your list.

Sharpening stone (I bring a havalon)

Several extra socks and underwear (buy merino wool)

canned food (I know, crazy, but I would bring it in my younger days)

0 degree sleeping bag for September hunts (Buy a good 20 and save the weight)

First Aid Kit (Duct tape and pain killers now)

D rings (Looked good in the movies, but stupid idea)

Bow press (probably the worst thing to pack on a hunt...keep it in the truck)

Cotton clothing (I'm blaming this on ignorance and poverty)

More than 1 set of pants (Bring what you wear in)

Regular soap (I use Sea to Summit dehydrated now)

A set of Allen wrenches (I bring the important ones now)

Energy Drinks (I bring pills now:) )

I'll post more as I think of them:)

What pills do you use Aron? I was thinking about sneaking a 6-pack of Red Bull into my partner's pack next year, but maybe I can save him the pain and suffering. =)

cmeier117

WKR
Love this thread! I know a lot of people that need to read this especially me! My father in-law's friend took 80lbs of gear on a 2 night trip last year! I am trying to find a picture of him, and Daren if you made it on this site I am sorry but 80lbs!!!!