What hunting rig are you running/how do you use it

OP
SilentPursuit

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider
The only hunting rig I am " running " is me. At 61 I don't run as much, but walk a really good ways. I use it to get away from crowds, and from those " running" the roads on rubber tires. ( I hate when asked what yea " runn'n").
Well I use to step out my backdoor and be able to hunt on the east coast but unfortunately now I have to drive 4 hours away to hunt here in Colorado. So yes I like to have a dedicated rig to get me to my hunting area and store all my stuff while I’m out for a few days hunting. I have never been “truck hunting” in my life, it seems like no fun and no reward. Seems awfully common here in Colorado and Wyoming but it’s not for me.

OP
SilentPursuit

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider
New to me this year ‘98 Tacoma 4 cyl 5 spd with manual everything and I love it. Added a headache rack and truck box, Lexus seat swap, and a customized 4Runner center console I worked up. Great mpg and thoroughly impressed with the ability to crawl through the nasty stuff.
Nice truck, congrats. Definitely a solid rig

Pdzoller

WKR
IMG_5422.jpeg2017 Tundra double cab. Absolute base model with mud tires and a canopy. Secondary base camp and use it like a side by side. Tows my little trailer just fine and keeps my gear dry. Need to get a bigger fuel tank installed. I got a little TW coming for exploring old blocked up forest service roads.

Poser

WKR
Wow that’s pricey, I like to do all my own work. I do believe you can get a low miles JDM 3.4 for around 2000$.

I need the V8/4.7. You can definitely find them online for around 3k, but I’m told to be extremely wary of the actual mileage at that price. The price quoted above has a 5 year warranty.

Duh

WKR
Got this pretty mint 2003 TJ with a winch and a little lift last year. Thing was absolutely clean when I got it and its since seen a lot of death. Will absolutely hold two grown men and 2 quartered out bull elk but the fenders rub haha.

It made a 1500 mile one way road trip in a day and then the same trip back a week later.

Attachments

• IMG_6060.jpeg
    IMG_6060.jpeg
    425.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_6204.jpeg
    IMG_6204.jpeg
    266.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_6278.jpeg
    IMG_6278.jpeg
    112.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_6968.jpeg
    IMG_6968.jpeg
    298 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_7154.jpeg
    IMG_7154.jpeg
    269.1 KB · Views: 46

IDVortex

WKR
View attachment 7360612017 Tundra double cab. Absolute base model with mud tires and a canopy. Secondary base camp and use it like a side by side. Tows my little trailer just fine and keeps my gear dry. Need to get a bigger fuel tank installed. I got a little TW coming for exploring old blocked up forest service roads.
How do you like a single axle for a TT?

Do timing belt and be prepared to do head gasket at some point with the 3.0. Looks super clean and minty, love it! Also check the radiator to see if it’s been replaced, it’s another weak point on the 2nd gen’s. Luckily mine has been changed out for an aluminum with electric fan. Solid rig for sure
Do you have a link or brand/part number for the radiator with fan? My has an aux fan for supplemental engine cooling but it’s not a great unit. My radiator has a hairline crack on the mounting bracket so it’s due for a replacement.

F250 with a 6.7 Powerstroke. 4 doors, leather seats and a short bed. Some suspension and drivetrain upgrades. Stockish height.

I'll take it places many people are scared to go.

Ranchhand bumpers, exterior lights, a winch...

It all gets used. Sometimes real hard.

ArmyAg97

FNG
Ha I get that, I have never been one to care about looks and cosmetics. Longevity and reliability is all I care about. This is why I bought one with a dent so it doesn’t hurt when I put the next one it. My girl is into wheeling and rock crawling and in those groups if you have no scratches or dents you’re not doing it right and probably mall crawl.
I have a 2003 Ford Excursion with a V10. Love, love, love it. I could probably sell it now for more than I bought it for in 2017. It fits a queen sized mattress in the back and still has room for gear. 35's with Old Man Emu springs that gives it ~6 inch lift.

Last edited: