What hunting rig are you running/how do you use it

IDVortex

WKR
1000014942.jpg
Actually in all seriousness, a 17 F250. Really would like to get a SXS for next spring bear, or even a older 2nd gen Toyota pickup for hunting. Especially spring bear in Idaho.

OP
SilentPursuit

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider
Used my wife’s old Jeep Liberty for the last few years until the head gasket leak started getting worse. Picked up a low mileage second gen tacoma last year that’s been way more capable in the mountains.

View attachment 734581
The Tacomas are sweet no doubt, I wanted one but I didn’t want payments. I have been using my girls jeep jku rubicon which is super capable but absolutely sucks to sleep in and lacks storage space. I’m excited to have a dedicated rig now. Is it a manual or auto?

CorbLand

WKR
I got a 2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab with a topper and roof rack. It'll go just about anywhere and i can sleep in the back of it. I also have a 1999 Toyota Rav4 that i use for bird, deer and antelope hunting. The thing is basically a glorified UTV, AWD with a locking rear diff (5 spd as well). Im gonna hold onto those vehicles for as long as i can!
I daily a 2004 Rav with a five speed. Thing is a beast. Going to sell it to my brother for my niece in September. Going to be a sad little day when it goes.

OP
SilentPursuit

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 13 tacoma which I hate a lot and wish I would have kept my 91 v6 3.0. I miss having a stick shift to cruise down roads with. Camped out of both of them and plenty of room for all the stuff I carry in the back.

The TW is what I used to use the most to get around on scouting trips and going places when the weather is nice, but might sell it and get an atv instead after I messed my knee and ankle up pretty good this year being cut off by a car on a blind corner. Hoping to be able to hike again by the October 10th rifle opener. View attachment 734587View attachment 734588
My only stipulation was it had to be a manual whatever I got. I have the best of both worlds with the 2nd gen 4Runner with the 3.4 swap, can’t say enough how much I love having a tailgate. The only tacos I could find were whooped or out of my price range.

OP
SilentPursuit

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 13 tacoma which I hate a lot and wish I would have kept my 91 v6 3.0. I miss having a stick shift to cruise down roads with. Camped out of both of them and plenty of room for all the stuff I carry in the back.

The TW is what I used to use the most to get around on scouting trips and going places when the weather is nice, but might sell it and get an atv instead after I messed my knee and ankle up pretty good this year being cut off by a car on a blind corner. Hoping to be able to hike again by the October 10th rifle opener. View attachment 734587View attachment 734588
Oh and the bike is sweet, I would love to pick up one but Colorado does not have as many single track roads like Idaho and I would almost be better off with a quad.

a6745f6b785e61a27c96e42e4e41f83c.jpg

2013 4Runner that goes most places

2b203f2e303e0880d8a869caa7a9c2c1.jpg

Pioneer 700-4 to get to the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I have a Gen 4, V8 4Runner with a AWD system in 4H that I bought from a Rokslide member. I've upgraded the suspension and have a slight lift on it. I've beat the living shit out of this thing in the last 2.5 years. Considering dropping a new engine in it. It has 270k on it and has some low compression and burns some oil on startup once the temps drop below 25 degrees or so. I could also probably drive it with low compression for another 50k. Its a beast.

My only complaint is when in 4H, you can't manually shift down below 3rd gear. When coming down mountain passes in the winter, that's a little fast and requires some braking. I've considered regearing it for a lower gear ratio.

View attachment 734579
Re-gearing my Jeep is the best thing I ever did to that vehicle.

OP
SilentPursuit

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldnt be scared of a high mileage rig...

What you picked up is pretty solid though. Stuffing a straight axle under it isnt a big job either. Toss a spartan or round up an axle with a Elocker and that thing will go way more places than you ever thought.

I look at 4runners/sequoias etc etc but always end up with a pickup
E lockers and solid axle is definitely on the list of thangs to do. It will be a work in progress for sure. I’m attending to stuff a 15,000 lb warn winch in the bumper currently. Looks like it’s gonna fit and be super tight but almost perfect, way overkill for a 4Runner but I got a smoking deal on it.

OP
SilentPursuit

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider

JMundy84

Lil-Rokslider
Ye olde meat wagon has hauled more animals out of the woods than I can remember. It has 190k on It and I'll bet 100k is woods miles 3 elk last year alone, my bull and then my wife's bull and Dad's cow at the same timeIMG_20240710_183245263_HDR.jpgIMG_20230919_125353522_HDR.jpgIMG_20231015_093611233_HDR.jpg

Oh and the bike is sweet, I would love to pick up one but Colorado does not have as many single track roads like Idaho and I would almost be better off with a quad.
Yeah I originally got it just for being able to do easy single tracks and road cruising. With the gas mileage it was an easy decision over using my truck and having to go 55 miles into the nearest gas station every few days. Lots of USFS and logging roads here North of Highway 12 and South of I-90!

OP
SilentPursuit

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider
Ye olde meat wagon has hauled more animals out of the woods than I can remember. It has 190k on It and I'll bet 100k is woods miles 3 elk last year alone, my bull and then my wife's bull and Dad's cow at the same timeView attachment 734835View attachment 734839View attachment 734841
Man I need to hunt where you hunt lol do you shoot them and then they roll down the hill to a road so you can load them whole? I love the rig, I’m on my first Toyota and can definitely see why people love them. I’m already full on the bandwagon

OP
SilentPursuit

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I originally got it just for being able to do easy single tracks and road cruising. With the gas mileage it was an easy decision over using my truck and having to go 55 miles into the nearest gas station every few days. Lots of USFS and logging roads here North of Highway 12 and South of I-90!
I have always wanted a dual sport something light enough to hit the woods. Must be from all the dirt bike riding growing up.