What hunting rig are you running/how do you use it

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider
I finally picked up a hunting rig to drive into the mountains and use as base camp. I got a 1995 Toyota 4Runner with a 3.4l engine and 5 speed tranny swap out of a 99 4Runner. I absolutely love having a true tailgate with the 2nd gen. I’ll be able to fit my coolers in the rig with all my hunting gear and can easily sleep inside for those later season hunts. I’ll have a basket off the hitch and hope to find a decent deal on a platform for the roof. I would love a hard shell clam style rooftop tent but wow are they pricey, almost as much as the whole rig. Hands down I would love a 1st gen bronco but I don’t have an arm and leg to spare. I’m a samurai guy that’s owned more than I can count but unless you tow with a truck to your area it’s not gonna cut it.

What’s your rig and how are you hunting out of it? Post some pics of your rig

IMG_2241.jpegIMG_2237.jpegIMG_2238.jpegIMG_2234.jpegIMG_2232.jpeg

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Some recent posts here to check out…

stv117

Lil-Rokslider
I continue with my 4x4 Tacoma, as worry about the dog getting sprayed by a skunk. In an SUV, a lot of grouse hunters seem to like the Subaru, Outback and Forester.

OP
SilentPursuit

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider
I continue with my 4x4 Tacoma, as worry about the dog getting sprayed by a skunk. In an SUV, a lot of grouse hunters seem to like the Subaru, Outback and Forester.
I never considered having to drive back with skunk sprayed dogs, is this from experience?

OP
SilentPursuit

SilentPursuit

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 734524
This will be her first year in the mountains and gets to make a trip back to AZ this November. Hoping to find a good deal on a camper shell sometime.

Had an 01 Tundra before this one.
Oh man I have a weakness for that color Tacoma, I went and looked at a bunch of them but really didn’t want a payment anymore. Is it an auto or manual?

87TT

WKR
I finally picked up a hunting rig to drive into the mountains and use as base camp. I got a 1995 Toyota 4Runner with a 3.4l engine and 5 speed tranny swap out of a 99 4Runner. I absolutely love having a true tailgate with the 2nd gen. I’ll be able to fit my coolers in the rig with all my hunting gear and can easily sleep inside for those later season hunts. I’ll have a basket off the hitch and hope to find a decent deal on a platform for the roof. I would love a hard shell clam style rooftop tent but wow are they pricey, almost as much as the whole rig. Hands down I would love a 1st gen bronco but I don’t have an arm and leg to spare. I’m a samurai guy that’s owned more than I can count but unless you tow with a truck to your area it’s not gonna cut it.

What’s your rig and how are you hunting out of it? Post some pics of your rig

View attachment 734430View attachment 734431View attachment 734432View attachment 734433View attachment 73443
Have you tried flat towing the Sammy behind it yet?

Attachments

• IMG_3252a.JPG
    IMG_3252a.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

CorbLand

WKR
Oh man I have a weakness for that color Tacoma, I went and looked at a bunch of them but really didn’t want a payment anymore. Is it an auto or manual?
Auto. Thought about manual and it definitely does have its benefits but the auto is just convenient.

I feel you on the payment. Would have kept the 01 but my wife totaled it.