What happened?

Without a necropsy it’s hard to definitively say. My GUESS is you are correct in that you hit one of the spinal processes and that knocked him down.

Your bullet weight is fine. A heavier bullet would yield the same result. Shot placement trumps everything.

Bears challenge me a bit with their kill zone too. It’s not the same as deer and elk.

Better luck next time.

TuckTruck

WKR
I’ve seen a few bears hit and lost, between the fact that they plug up quick and don’t bleed a lot, and the fact that it can be a little tricky on where to aim. But lately Ive had really good luck aiming just a touch forward from center of center. Better luck next time!

IDVortex

WKR
Your bullet weight is fine. A heavier bullet would yield the same result. Shot placement trumps everything.

Bears challenge me a bit with their kill zone too. It’s not the same as deer and elk.

Better luck next titime.
I was thinking of the kill zone and not realizing how it is different from typical animals.

It might be worth your time (unless I can find it and I'll link it here) but to look for a few pics from Form that show the size of the lungs and such on a bear. I think it's in the .223 thread. (I'm not even comparing or saying you should use a different caliber, so don't take it as that, just might be worth looking at kill pics and data on that aspect)

It might be worth your time (unless I can find it and I'll link it here) but to look for a few pics from Form that show the size of the lungs and such on a bear. I think it's in the .223 thread. (I'm not even comparing or saying you should use a different caliber, so don't take it as that, just might be worth looking at kill pics and data on that aspect)
I aim for the middle of the middle. What challenges me is how to locate this at certain body angles upwards or downward when they are broadside.

I shot my bear twice this year. Both rounds hit lungs, but the further, quartering away shot hit much better lungs.

rclouse79

WKR
If at all possible, I would try go after the animal that night, especially if rain is in the forecast. Looking for a bear at night is a high stress endeavor but having an armed buddy along helps calm the nerves.

Wrench

WKR
The first bear I killed went about 150 yards after losing his lungs. I swore I missed. Not much blood to work with. I don't know what you could do differently other than anchor the shot in the cns.

Moosehunter

Lil-Rokslider
High hit is my ges. I did that multiple years ago. Was able to get another shot in him when he got back up. But I had hit above the spine. Rolled like crazy off cliffs and everything. Then just eased off like no big deal. Next shot did him in

IDVortex

WKR
I aim for the middle of the middle. What challenges me is how to locate this at certain body angles upwards or downward when they are broadside.

I shot my bear twice this year. Both rounds hit lungs, but the further, quartering away shot hit much better lungs.
I apologize, just realized my message was directed at you😂
I meant to mean what you said made me think of the bear Vital size and the OP should look into the vital size of a bear and shot placement!

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
Funny you should mention it. He was initially at 35 yards and I actually backed up to 375 to look cool on IG. Darn. Guess I screwed up. I’ll know for next time!

Surprised by all the negativity here. I was just asking where you think I hit the bear based on his reaction to the shot. I know I made a bad shot. No need to rub it in, but if it makes you feel superior, more power to you, I guess.
Nothing to add to your initial question since I have never shot a black bear, I have joined on bear hunts before tho.

But as a response to the snide comments. It's the internet and people feel cool behind their lap top/phone. Truth is that every hunter has missed/screwed up, and if you haven't its because you haven't hunted long enough and you can't call yourself a hunter.

I've screwed up 3 times taking shots that didn't work out. I felt like shit every time and still do. If you don't try and learn from it and get better, you are not much of a hunter. So kudos to you because that shows that you are trying to improve.

Hadn’t thought of that possibility. I was thinking the shot must’ve been closer to the spine to make him drop, but maybe a shoulder hit would do the same thing. 🤔
Yeah, who knows. That could produce the same kind of scenario. I’ve just know of a couple black bears that have absorbed shoulder shots, appeared pretty much dead, then rallied and been tracked down (very much alive) in nasty places and then killed. They are tough when you hit them wrong and die quickly when you hit them right.

I don’t mean to offend you or anyone else, but I think getting close before pulling the trigger is very helpful on bears. Even the big ones are not that big (in terms of target area). And there’s a lot of fur and fat that can make it hard to pick the right spot. And the shoulder can sometimes stop a bullet, so if you miss forward it can mean worse than some wasted meat. Plus, most people spend a lot less time looking at bears than say elk or deer, and so are less familiar with their target. I have no doubt took the best shot you had under the circumstances, but among my friends, the experience is that bears shot under 100 yards tend to die right there. Bears shot at over 300 yards…not so much.

OP
I
Yeah, who knows. That could produce the same kind of scenario. I’ve just know of a couple black bears that have absorbed shoulder shots, appeared pretty much dead, then rallied and been tracked down (very much alive) in nasty places and then killed. They are tough when you hit them wrong and die quickly when you hit them right.

I don’t mean to offend you or anyone else, but I think getting close before pulling the trigger is very helpful on bears. Even the big ones are not that big (in terms of target area). And there’s a lot of fur and fat that can make it hard to pick the right spot. And the shoulder can sometimes stop a bullet, so if you miss forward it can mean worse than some wasted meat. Plus, most people spend a lot less time looking at bears than say elk or deer, and so are less familiar with their target. I have no doubt took the best shot you had under the circumstances, but among my friends, the experience is that bears shot under 100 yards tend to die right there. Bears shot at over 300 yards…not so much.
That’s a good point. And something to bear in mind for next time. If you can get closer, do it. I don’t think I could’ve in this situation as he was across canyon and dropping anymore would have probably made him disappear from my line of sight. But like I said, something to bear in mind. Thank you for the follow-up.

OP
I
Nothing to add to your initial question since I have never shot a black bear, I have joined on bear hunts before tho.

But as a response to the snide comments. It's the internet and people feel cool behind their lap top/phone. Truth is that every hunter has missed/screwed up, and if you haven't its because you haven't hunted long enough and you can't call yourself a hunter.

I've screwed up 3 times taking shots that didn't work out. I felt like shit every time and still do. If you don't try and learn from it and get better, you are not much of a hunter. So kudos to you because that shows that you are trying to improve.
Thank you. I’ll just keep practicing and hope for a closer shot next time.

OP
I
If at all possible, I would try go after the animal that night, especially if rain is in the forecast. Looking for a bear at night is a high stress endeavor but having an armed buddy along helps calm the nerves.
That is one thing I wish I had done differently for sure, besides making a better shot initially of course!

Yoteassasin

Lil-Rokslider
Every lost bear I've seen has been from a high shot . They have a lot of fat and hair above their back . It would be easy to shock him / knock out with a shot on the high side of the spine and have him jump up afterwards. It could very possibly not be a fatal shot .
My advise would be closer ... like 300 yards and shoot lower .
POA is a big thing , during the pursuit and shot your adrenaline is pumping and muscle memory takes over . A lot of deer hunters aim high ... I've always aimed low. The heart rests almost at the bottom of the chest cavity .

TSAMP

WKR
The peanut gallery does seem a bit hostile these days. I'll take this guy joining to discuss his experience over the other 5 guys that joined same day to load up the classifieds with their "old kit" for 15 dollars less than new prices.

I gotta wonder if I stumbled on this site today if I'd see the value and actually join or not..