What gear was a pleasant surprise?

Over the last few years a few things come to mind:

Cabela's/Icebreaker merino SS and LS shirts on clearance for $17 and $19. Liked them so much after one season that I sold all my First Lite.

Cabela's original Microtex and Microtex Lite on clearance for $20 per shirt/pants. Great stuff.

Zamberlan Dakota boots on clearance at Amazon for $89........retail $290. Best hunting boots I've ever had on my feet.

Gerber Gator S30V knives with B&C handle on clearance at Cabela's for $29.99. After getting the first one, I bought 5 more.

KUIU Yukon gaiters on sale for $50.

As you can see, my preference is toward great products at "deep" discount.

My Wrangler hiking pants that I now have around ten pair. My Jetboil and my REI sleeping bag. My Honda generator.

Leucotape (for blisters) - Legit option over any band-aid or other tape option (thanks to Snyder for that)
Tenacious tape - For everything else not skin related, millions of uses
Kifaru Urban Ruck - IMO beats any other EDC pack out there,

Factory loaded Barnes TTSX ammunition. I haven't shot factory loaded ammunition in several years. I wanted to switch to copper bullets last year but didn't have time to work up a load for my 30-06. Apprehensively I purchased a box of the 168 grain Barnes TTSX ammo. This ammo shot better in my rifle than I could have every hoped and provided one shot kills on three deer ranging from 75 to 375 yards. I was pleasantly surprised!

My Wrangler hiking pants that I now have around ten pair. My Jetboil and my REI sleeping bag. My Honda generator.
I second the Wrangler pants. Outstanding value, I wear them all the time. They've made small changes, but I will be buying more. The shorts are great as well.

Pleasant surprises:

1) Cabelas Outfitter HD binoculars. Hard to find but worth 5x as much as I paid for them.

2) Eberlestock Dragonfly pack. Got it for under $200 new on clearance and I love it.

3) Tikka rifles (as someone said, boring in a good way).

4) Kings Camo polyester pants. Best $40 I've ever spent on hunting clothes, period. Never seem to get dirty, dry fast, are warm when it's cold and cool when it's hot. I have no idea why they are so good, but I'm glad I bought two pairs when I did.

I second the Wrangler pants. Outstanding value, I wear them all the time. They've made small changes, but I will be buying more. The shorts are great as well.
Ditto x10.

I discovered those Wrangler hiking pants at a Wal-Mart in Durango, when a sweet lady who worked in the clothing area directed me to them. I bought two pair that day, and have worn the crap out of them since. My wife thinks they look good, and I haven't found a situation they weren't suited for, from cold weather hiking and camping to kayaking to surf fishing. They are just fantastic pants for the money.

I was pretty impressed with my Ruger American Predator 6.5 I bought last year. Pretty nice shooter for $400 and us lefties don't have much besides Tikka in the mid to low budget range.

Good socks made a huge difference for me and then my buddy convinced me to buy the Helinox chair zero and that thing is amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a useful thread.

I will second prAna Zion stretch pants. The first pair I purchased set me back $90. They are something like $58 on Amazon right now. They are light, tough, stay clean and best of all extremely comfortable.

I will second (third, etc) AGC Cub binocular harness. I had quit carrying glasses during TN deer season because they are a PIA dangling and I hated the old elastic harness thingy. The Cub is the bomb. I’ve got a WY elk trip this fall and I’m looking forward to carrying this thing.

Souls vide immersion heater. I’m grinding a LOT less venison because every cut I’ve thrown at it turns out great.

Havalon knife.

Many years ago a girlfriend got me a pair of Leupold Wind River 10x42's.
She's gone, but still have the binos.
Also, a Cabelas fleece daypack that has to be 25+ yrs. old.
A pair of Cabelas Mtn. Hunter boots that refuse to give up.
HH rainwear.

My merino wool base layers from Midway USA have been great. A lot cheaper than some of the big brands but extremely comfortable and very warm.

Back