Lets Talk about Bear Scores

bpeay4

Lil-Rokslider
Doesn't look like this has been talked about much but I am curious on peoples input on bear scores.

What's your highest scoring bear? Do western states have smaller (low scoring) bears? Do you see much variance in the bears you harvest? Have you noticed a correlation between score and size or age?

From my understanding a bears skull measurements are most influenced by genetics and not necessarily the quality of habitat or food sources.

I harvested a bear this spring and while it was a respectable bear in my opinion, I was quite surprised when I measured it. It's been drying about a month now and it roughly scores at about 19 12/16. Would not have guessed it to be close to B&C. No clue the age yet and won't get that back from F&G for probably 2 years but he had some wear on his teeth although none were missing or extremely worn down.

Anyways thought it might be interesting to hear others experience.1000003725.jpg1000003727.jpg1000003728.jpg1000003731.jpg

Rogue Bay

WKR
Congrats on a great bear. You’re correct, genetics has much more to do with size than age.

I don’t know what an average would be, but we see a decent number of bears in Oregon between 18” and 19”. Above that, they become a little more rare. My biggest bear was 20 13/16” (17 years old). I also shot one that scored 19” even (3 years old) and one that scored 18 12/16” (9 years old).

We see some huge bodied bears. I’ve personally seen 3 that were over 600 pounds and my biggest was well over 500. We just don’t see the big skulls.

A lot of people bear hunt in WV where I am but most don’t get scored because they are not eligible with gps radio collars on the hounds used for hunting. We do have some big ones I know of one over 600 lbs a few years ago but recently our population has taken a hit from mange. Most people don’t care about bear scores, I guess because there is so much hound hunting. I have killed a few without hounds but nothing big. Probably wouldn’t have it scored even if it was big but that’s just me.

I’ve noticed area has a lot to do with average bear size. I hunt the alpine meadows a lot and an average bear I’d say is 150-200lbs. Anything larger is a quality bear. There are some bears knocking on 300lbs and breaking the 6’ length mark but that is a rare occurrence. Skull size can be all over the map, but you definitely see the larger bears at a lower elevation it seems. There’s been some 20” ones locally and sometimes the body doesn’t correlate to the size.

Not sure if it’s food sources, longer feeding seasons, etc that makes lower elevation bears bigger? The alpine hunting is unmatched for overall experience though which keeps me coming back. I don’t do it looking for a trophy. Plus those blueberry bears are the best eating around.

The record books are out there to search. I think others are on the track that areas that genetically produce bear with big skulls and find one that's bigger than most others.

Of course, to me, hide square is probably the best metric but, even then, not great. With skull size they took a long list of options and settled for the worst.

If it were up to me, I would base the record books on the baculum size. Just me.