What does it take to kill a grizzly?

OP
Luke S

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
Details on the grizzly
  • First shot through the chest took out one lung and "bruised" the other. Apparently it was filling with blood according to a medical friend who looked at my pictures. It also punched through one side of the heart. This shot was at a downward angle. Engrance and exit holes were about 1.5 to 2 inches. Similar to what a .358 did to several black bears. The holes through the lungs were smaller, maybe .75 inches. Again, my medical friend points out that the lungs probably shrank up as they deflated to the hole in the live bear might have been bigger.
  • One follow up through the brush was a miss, another nicked the hind leg
  • The final follow up angled in through the stomach behind the ribs and stopped in the heart. We found a section of jacket there.
The bear ran maybe 50 yards and piled up. My son is convinced the last shot dropped it. I'm not sure, I think it was about to drop one way or the other and that might be why it slowed down enough for the final shot I took.

Overall I was perfectly happy with my .308 on a grizzly. Now to be fair, a 6 foot grizzly is nothing huge, I shot a black bear that was a similar size. But your average interior grizzly probably won't be bigger enough to matter. I'd still like to take apart a 10 footer and see how much difference there is in bone size, etc.

But my .308 with match bullets did similar damage to my old .358 with premium bullets while being easier to source ammo/reloading stuff for and giving me longer range.

My nurse practitioner friend said he doubted a bigger hole in the lungs would kill an animal (or person) much faster in his experience. He said the only thing would be that a really small hole might seal up as the skin moved around and that would slow the inevitable death as the lungs collapsed. So yes a FMJ bullet might be slower to kill with a lung shot. But, once there is a hole in the lungs/chest cavity that doesn't seal, nothing lives long.

Lando

WKR
736cceb0d1b0bd19c2de99255824ac07.jpg

6.5 cm dropped in his tracks. 8’8 brown
b4a0f2956cc3b0f35e6bed162613aa8f.jpg

bear and a boone and crockett skull
0d9d1df9c32870c118e233cda87cf4f5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Which bullet in the 6.5 CM did you use?

jdub17

FNG
The real answer is whatever you think is necessary. For me that's a 7 rem mag.