What do you use to swap your blades?

I use the 2 blade havalon. 1 big blade can do 1 elk easily. The small blade is for a guthook, and I carry a couple small replacement blades in the hard case in my kill kit. If I lose the edge on the big blade I'll swap the guthook for a small blade and put the gut hook in the hard case.

The thought of walking or tripping into someone's left behind scalpel blade is pretty horrifying. Ya'll should be cleaning up better after yourselves.

Bugger

FNG
I would like to hear more answers for this question also. For those who stick the blade into a tree, are you leaving them there or taking them with you so someone else doesn't get stuck with it at a latter time. Aren't the blades stainless steel? So it's not like they are going to rust away quickly. To me, whatever you leave on the mountain is still considered trash.
Dispose the same way everyone else should. The question was about removal not disposal.

I carry a small hemostat for when my hands are too slick or the blade is stuck. Typically break the blade or can get it off with my fingers easily. I bought the blade removers and thought they were a good idea poorly executed into production product.

Only use havalon 60A blades as they are the best by a good margin

Beendare

WKR
Yep, its just a matter of time with slippery blade and fingers.

My guide buddy loves the Havalon but finally sliced up his hand pretty good. He typically uses 4-5 of these blades per elk…..I don’t get why guys like these.

ljalberta

WKR
Been using either a Havalon or Tyto since 2016. I have never had a difficult time replacing a blade with my hands. For the first blade, I open the blade wrapper half way, slide the new blade on. When replacing, use the old wrapper and cover the blade, then slide the old blade off, already back inside the wrapper. Fold that up and every piece makes it into the disposal bin at home. You guys snapping blades, have you ever lost part or a fragment that you couldn’t find?

TheTone

WKR
I was just thinking how great it would be if the replacement blades actually had “don’t litter” printed on the package. I’ve found so many blade sleeves on the ground over the years

fmyth

WKR
Yep, its just a matter of time with slippery blade and fingers.

My guide buddy loves the Havalon but finally sliced up his hand pretty good. He typically uses 4-5 of these blades per elk…..I don’t get why guys like these.
4-5 Havalon blades per elk?