What do you use to swap your blades?

Gotcha_

FNG
Have a tyto replaceable blade knife. What are yall using to safely swap blades backpacking?

The side of a tree. Bend the tab out, dig it into the side of a tree and pull backwards. Fingers don't ever go past the back of the blade. Similar process for loading. Push into the tree to load. But maybe this is a pizza crumb style? Probably more refined ways. I'd like to hear what others say.

OP
Gotcha_

Gotcha_

FNG
The side of a tree. Bend the tab out, dig it into the side of a tree and pull backwards. Fingers don't ever go past the back of the blade. Similar process for loading. Push into the tree to load. But maybe this is a pizza crumb style? Probably more refined ways. I'd like to hear what others say.
My dad always said if its stupid but it works, it aint stupid. Good idea here.

rclouse79

WKR
Are they the same blades as a havalon? I usually take those off with my fingers. When I shot a bear my fingers were greasy enough to make it a struggle. I bought some of those havalon plastic blade removers and they are pretty slick.

jmez

WKR
You use your fingers it's only a matter of time. I don't care how careful you think you're being. I break them off in the ground or on a tree.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2024 using Tapatalk

I use a mini multi-tool to swap replacement blades. When the mechanisms get gunked up with fat and tissue, I don't want my finger tips pulling on blades.

The better question might be "what are you doing with the old blade after removal?"

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
he better question might be "what are you doing with the old blade after removal?"
I would like to hear more answers for this question also. For those who stick the blade into a tree, are you leaving them there or taking them with you so someone else doesn't get stuck with it at a latter time. Aren't the blades stainless steel? So it's not like they are going to rust away quickly. To me, whatever you leave on the mountain is still considered trash.

I am going back to a fixed blade Buck 110 "lite" so I do not have to change blades. For me the weight difference is so small as to not be worth the effort of changing blades. I also prefer the strength of a conventional knife.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’d recommend not using your fingers. They’re sharp and dead elk are a long way from the hospital of a decent first aid kit.

Jab into any wood, tree, sagebrush, etc. Bend until it snaps. It’ll snap at the cut out since it’s the thinnest part. Discard remnants.

Start the new blade just enough to hold it in place then push it into same piece of wood, point first, don’t torque. It’ll snap right in.