What do you run in your elk pack???

OP
Article 4

Article 4

WKR
What's your go-to? I haven't gotten to the point of being comfortable pushing myself physically, but hope to start this year and want to be prepared so the pain doesn't discourage me.
I only have rescue meds, thankfully I don’t need anything more than -over the counter aleve for normal aches and pains

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I pretty much run what I am going to run in September elk season
Yep, September elk season is about the only running I'll do all year.

I "run" a lightweight daypack with only the essentials that weighs 15-17lbs filled mostly with water for the day........so that I CAN "run" and be extremely mobile while bowhunting elk, without any restrictions from a large heavy pack on my back.

Last edited:

bz_711

WKR
In Backpack
Phone / Compass / Calls
Radio / ZOLEO
Tags / Wallet
Water / Food / water filter (purifiers)
Knives / Sharpener / Game Bags
Walking sticks
Glock (bearspray?)
Rain Gear
Jacket or vest / Puffy / Socks
Rope / duct tape / zip ties
Headlamps / batteries / charger&cord
flint / lighter / first aid / pain relief
chapstick / wipes
Small tripod
first aid / poncho / emergency blanket
latex gloves / cut-proof glove
bow kit (allens,D-loop,peeptube,fieldtip)
gloves / stocking hat
rangefinder (battery)
trash bags / tyvek

TaperPin

WKR
My day pack is about like most who pack a lot - having to stay out overnight expectantly a few times has me packing more than I should, but it is comforting to have it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it.

It’s old fashioned, but I always have waterproof topo maps of the area and check the map once in a while, especially in unfamiliar country - it helps to plan side trips to scout areas nearby.

Axlrod

WKR
My day pack is about like most who pack a lot - having to stay out overnight expectantly a few times has me packing more than I should, but it is comforting to have it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it.

It’s old fashioned, but I always have waterproof topo maps of the area and check the map once in a while, especially in unfamiliar country - it helps to plan side trips to scout areas nearby.
Why do you call it a day pack if you stay out overnight expectantly?

NXTZ

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, September elk season is about the only running I'll do all year.

I "run" a lightweight daypack with only the essentials that weighs 15-17lbs filled mostly with water for the day........so that I CAN "run" and be extremely mobile while bowhunting elk, without any restrictions from a large heavy pack on my back.
Serious question for you, what would you say is your average pack out distance/process? Kill an elk, process the meat, then go back for a hauling pack?

My elk hunting is all day hunts, and I’ve been considering leaving my frame pack at the truck and just using a small pack for the essentials. Curious about strategies; I realize it’s an extra trip (I guess I could always “run” back) but I hate having a frame in most of the areas I hunt, so that’s a trade off I’d consider. I’ve also never killed an elk, so I’m trying to remain within a few miles of the truck as I figure this out. Appreciate your thoughts.

Randle

WKR
Serious question for you, what would you say is your average pack out distance/process? Kill an elk, process the meat, then go back for a hauling pack?

My elk hunting is all day hunts, and I’ve been considering leaving my frame pack at the truck and just using a small pack for the essentials. Curious about strategies; I realize it’s an extra trip (I guess I could always “run” back) but I hate having a frame in most of the areas I hunt, so that’s a trade off I’d consider. I’ve also never killed an elk, so I’m trying to remain within a few miles of the truck as I figure this out. Appreciate your thoughts.
My answer for what you describe was I got a MR pop up frame and it works great for 1st load out.
I have hauled 3 elk using it and it works

wytx

WKR
My daypack is just large enough to carry out the first load of boned out meat to the truck or campo for the pack frame. Smaller daypack is much quieter than a large pack frame and easier to get through the thick stuff without much noise.
Watched some guys trying to sneak through the timber with their pack frames on one year, we could hear them coming long before we saw them, they never saw us, lol.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I would guess that an average of all kills would be somewhere around 1.5-2 miles in. Furthest was about 6 "map" miles years ago, closest was......really close. But 1.5-2 seems to be very common.

I can always carry something out that first load. But I'm 6'6" with long legs......so hiking is not one of my weaknesses. I would rather hike out to get my hauling pack than carry it around for 20+ days during the season while hunting. I hardly even recognize that my daypack is on my back generally. But I'm always fighting with something with my frame pack on. My bino's and bugle tube don't hang right, top of the frame is constantly catching on branches, etc, so makes a lot of unneeded noise, waist belt foam is too thick, the pack makes me hotter so I sweat even more than I already do......no thanks.

I seem to shoot a lot of bulls in the evening. So that makes it easy......break them down, hang the meat or quarters, and then hike out. Get some sleep and then come back in the morning to start hauling. When I shot my moose a few years ago I was actually helping a buddy on his elk hunt that evening. There were three of us, so two of us started breaking down the bull while the third hiked out for hauling packs. So we did that packout in the dark and got back to camp at about 0330.

Last edited: