What do you look for in a Bino?

If looking to buy my first pair of good binos. I mainly hunt Georgia and Ohio for deer. There are so many considerations with optics I don’t know where to focus. I keep getting caught up on edge to clarity and low light performance, but does that really matter. I know this sounds crazy but It’s stressful when you don’t have access to try multiple brands. Price wise id like to be between $1000 and 1500.

How quickly my eyes adjust from going back and forth from looking through to not.

The longer it takes for your eyes to focus, or if you have to blink a couple of times after you looked through them, those aren't for you. Brand is irrelevant.

ChrisAU

WKR
You can get some 8x40 Zeiss SFLs in your budget if you look around, they simply won’t be beat in that price range and they also have some of the best glass out there, are super lightweight, and have great ergonomics. My 2nd pair will arrive tomorrow. I’d get NL Pure 8x42s for the FOV if they were half a pound more and didn’t cost 1.5x! Otherwise there is no other all around bino I’d have.

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Leica geovid R, range finding binos in that price range. I took a step back in glass quality this year to go to range finding binos. It cuts out a step.

I look for field of view.
First thing I notice when looking through a different pair is does it look like I'm looking down a paper towel tube?
Immediate deal killer for me.

taskswap

WKR
This is a super opinionated question because everyone has different priorities. I do think most folks who care at all about "glass" usually end up owning more than one set of bino's. I have a pair of 10x42's and a pair of 15x56's.

I personally believe glass quality is more important the higher you go in zoom range. My 10x42's are pretty low-end but it doesn't really affect their use at all. Sure, compared to my friend's Swaro's, I can tell the difference - if I use them both side by side for a few minutes. But out in the field, just with mine? They're 100% fine. But in the 15's, I definitely notice the difference, and honestly I think anything about 12x is pretty unusable if it's not high-quality, regardless of the maker.

I carry the highest zoom whose weight I feel like dealing with for the day. That means I usually have my 15's for most trips, and I grab the 10's if I want something lighter for an afternoon hike or something like that.

YMMV

mcseal2

WKR
If I could only have one optic my Leica Geovid HD-B binos with the rangefinder built in would be it. Having the rangefinder built in means I use it on almost every shot, even when time is short. It makes me more effective. The glass has been surpassed by some of the best new models, but it's still excellent and it works very well with my eyes. Some binos I find myself wishing I could click the eyepiece out one more notch than they have, but not those Leicas. Swaro EL Range is another option if they work better for your eyes. Probably have to go used to find any in your price range, but both companies have good warranties.

If you don't need the rangefinder any of the really good 8x binos would probably serve you well. I have 10x for western hunts and open terrain, but 8x is hard to beat in more timbered areas.

I have Swaro 15x SLC's for use off a tripod or window mount, but those would not be my choice if I was only going to have one binocular.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
There's so many great options available in the price range you're looking in. Your timing is great as we just started our July 4th Sale. It's our pleasure, as a long standing supporting vendor here, to discuss the different available options and special opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have the time. Thanks