What do you carry in that backpack??

Millerdyl

FNG
I carry the same stuff as you almost to a T. I use a backpack for also attacking my climbing sticks and platform.

vienna sausages
lil debbie snacks
flashlight
giant water bottle
extra magazine or ammo depending on which rifle
vienna sausages
rainsuit
lil debbie snacks
grunt call
estrous can
rattle bag
knives
rangefinder
vienna sausages
lil debbie snacks

Yes I know I have lil debbies, and vienna sausages listed 3 times...no it isn't a mistake lol fat man's gotta have fuel for the furnace :)

I use a fanny pack when hunting my family land in AL.
When I hunt NF lands here in SC I use a Mystery Ranch Mule and use the shelf area to hold my climbing sticks and Predator platform as I'm saddle hunting 95% of the time. If I use my Summit Viper, I switch over to the Cabela's Fanny pack.

I carry in range finder for bow hunting, binoculars, calls, hydropak, kill kit/tags, etc in my pack. I transfer much of that over to the fanny pack. Might throw in a couple of Coors to the fanny pack if I'm sitting in one of our converted dumpster- deer stands. I'll post pics of those at some point when I think about it.

From experience, if I don't bring it, I wish I had it. Many times finding a better camp, better place to set up, or get cold... a storm rolls in.. what exactly do you expect to carry the meat out in? Truck hunting rules don't really apply....

Blue72

WKR
After decades of mountain biking/hiking/hunting in the woods.

it’s been my experience that the guy who DOESN'T bring a backpack or a small pack tends to be problematic. They tend to be inexperienced and are the first ones with injuries, gear malfunction, suffer dehydration, depleted of electrolytes, and constantly asking you for your stuff.

I don’t mind helping out. But when it becomes constant, sometimes I rather just go out on my own

Deerfield

Lil-Rokslider
I whitetail stand hunt in PA and used to carry a small shoulder strap. The last couple years I have used my big Mystery Ranch Terraframe 80. It’s usually pretty empty.

Extra layers
Food
Thermos
Sitting pad
Headlamp
Grunt tube
Estrous can
Contractor trash bag (more on that in a second)

Obviously not enough for a large frame pack. The real reason is that it is an absolutely miserable spot to drag deer out of; pretty much straight up. One of those spots where you drag ten feet and slide back five. What I have done the last couple years is wrap the deer in a trash bag and pack it out whole.

4A99741C-7163-47EE-91A8-42B4352FD04D.jpeg

jktex

FNG
East Texas boys need backpacks for those portable spotlights.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Michael54

WKR
I use a backpack for PA whitetail hunting. It accommodates being able to both stand and stalk hunt.

Typically I carry the below in/on my pack:
Flashlight and/or headlamp
Field dressing kit
Thermos
Food
Nalgene bottle of water
Hot hands / toe warmers
Clothing layers including hand muff & balaclava
IFAK
Pen for tags
Collapsible stool w/closed cell cushion if walking
TP
Lens pen / wipes for optics
Rangefinder & binos if I'm not wearing a harness
All of this minus the stool and plus a roll of tp 😁

Foxsoup

FNG
Couple of the spots I hunt don’t have road access, I also tend to shoot things close to last light when I work the next morning. So if I’m going to have to pack a deer out why make an extra trip to the truck to grab a pack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maz7869

FNG
Water
Jerky
Thermacell x2
TP
Headlight
The extra layer or rain gear take up most of the room

Wrench

WKR
My best friend almost died of hypothermia on a deer hunt. I won't go more than 500 yards without the stuff to keep me alive in the place I'm in. In some places that might be a cell phone. In my haunts, that means fire flashlight and the means to get it going and keep it going.

I've been stung, bitten by spiders, messed with mean plants, been cut, broke laces, stuck cases and ripped gear.....all simple self rescue stuff, if you have the skills and tools.

But as always,

Location.
Location.
Location.

bullnose

FNG
Whatever we want to carry. Snacks/lunch; water; power bank for phone; field dressing kit; extra pair of heavier or lighter gloves, socks, and extra hat, depending on what the forecast is; headlamp; a book for when it gets slow; boot blankets; and a first aid kit. Try stuffing all that in your pockets!

Last edited:
My backpack seems light until I put my water , lunch and coat in there. For day hunts I take less and less every year.
But to answer the question.
Mittens
Rain cover for pack
Headlamp
Deer drag or game bags depending on location
Small first aid kit/ survival kit (geared toward a night in the woods)
repair kit (spare waistbelt buckle whatever small wrench to tighten scope screws)
Kill kit
Sanitary Kit
Fixed blade knife
lunch
water bladder
Tec kit ( power cell, charging cord for Iphone and headlamp)
two way radio if we are using them.

notes:
add rain gear if rain or snow is expected
I carry my iphone and extra ammo in my bino harness
iphone is my gps and camera.
I cant stand to have my pockets full of crap. I like all my gear in a pack.

For short sits out of a blind or my climbers that I drive up close I have a med size fanny
with : bottle of water, headlamp, snacks or a sammich, thats about it.

Last edited:

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I can tell alot of you don't go in before dark and come out after dark doing all day sits and/or walking a few miles. Sure you can get by walking 200 yards from your side by side to your stand for your evening sit with your fanny pack and snack. Try walking in miles before dark and staying till after dark in the mountains using your pack of crackers stowed away in your fanny pack lol

I dont carry a huge pack, but I do have food, extra layers of clothes, water, and a kill it for boning out deer to pack out. I have carried my jetboil before when I wanted to have a warm cup of soup, I considered that a luxury lol

Wrench

WKR
A mature buck boned out fits in a 22mag pack.....but I can't fathom it in a fanny pack