What do y’all do when the elk are just too high up?

Curious about whether I’m just a big wuss. I was consistently seeing elk this week but about 2k higher than I was (I was at about 7500). I just said screw it and tried other country.

Do you guys sometimes try to gain that elevation (either that same trip or the next one) or do you wait for weather to push em down?

BDRam16

WKR
I’m not sure where you were, but if you had 2000’ of elevation above you this early in the season I would say you’re hunting too low. If you don’t want to go that high either move to an area where your elevation is the upper limit or be willing to go up there. They won’t have any reason to come down until either the snow or the hunting pressure makes them.

OP
Minute_of_Antelope
I’m not sure where you were, but if you had 2000’ of elevation above you this early in the season I would say you’re hunting too low. If you don’t want to go that high either move to an area where your elevation is the upper limit or be willing to go up there. They won’t have any reason to come down until either the snow or the hunting pressure makes them.
Yeah that was my thinking anyways when I bailed. That I was just entirely too low and would need to reattack with a different plan…

OP
Minute_of_Antelope
Thinking about this comment more, this Is really good input. I hadn’t thought of the upper limit thing but that makes total sense. Thank you

taskswap

WKR
Honestly I wouldn't even think about "going up". I think about "going down". Start at 12,000' at the end of August and knock off 1000' or so every month after that. By October I'm usually around 9000-10000.

Where I hunt, 6-7k is where they winter.

Wrench

WKR
Where I hunt, if you're under elk when the sun comes up... and the wind isn't crossing hard, you better cut across the slope before you get thermaled and then make your climb.

I was at 9200' today looking at a herd of elk at about 10,800. 5 bulls. There is NO getting to these elk. The terrain is impossibly steep.

OP
Minute_of_Antelope
You have to hunt the elk where they are. You will have to decide if where they are is beyond your capability and determine if you can readjust your plans to get up to them or give up that area and move.
it’s not so much a capability thing as much as it seemed a wildly inefficient effort given all the other variables that go into bow hunting.

That’s why I’m curious what others do and it seems like a mix of hunting at the wrong elevation and maybe me being a bit of a b*tch