What Choke and shot size? Chukar/Quail

IdahoElk

WKR
I'm using Improved cylinder and 6 or 7 1/2 copper plated in my 20 ga. seems to be working, what are you guys using?

I prefer #6. I find it has more knock down energy for the longer shots. !2 gauge over under Red Label Improved/modified. I also use my 20 gauge RL.

I roll with 7.5 on Quaill, Mod. or IC. They are DOA when i do my part. No experience with Chukar but do prefer 6s for grouse.

Chukar, 1 oz #6 in 20 ga with IC and Mod chokes.

Quail, 7/8 or 1 oz of #7-1/2 (or #6) with IC and Mod in 20 ga.

Sometimes use the 16 ga with the same shot size and chokes.

Last two years it’s mainly the 28 ga auto with a Mod choke for chukar and Sharptail grouse with a 7/8 oz reload of #6 shot. Would have shot California quail with the same combo but didn’t get into any on the two days we hunted them, combo with Huns and chukars. Was a poor bird year there.

Last edited:
Over the dog, 8's in the loose tube and 6's in the tighter one for chucks... both 8-7.5's for quali. I have a bunch of SxS guns so chokes vary a bit. Most are IC/mod.

For quail, I like #7.5 shot, 1oz loads in 20ga. For whatever reason, 1oz loads are harder to find, but I much prefer them. As for Chokes, IC & Modified paired together if I'm shooting an over-under. If I'm shooting a semi-auto, I almost always run an IC for most everything. I'll go to a modified if I'm hunting spooky pheasants that like to bust way out in front of the dog.

I just shoot #5 for all upland birds. Perfect combo of knockdown power out to 50 yds and pellet density. I pattern my loads for my Franchi Affinity 12ga, modified choke (it's an extended choke I can't remember which brand, but I've had it for 10 years). I'll be shooting some roosters this weekend and some chukar in UT in 2 weeks.

Quail/pheasant/chukar I like #6 through ic/mod, they’re a tougher bird to me. Grouse #7.5 skt/ic usually up close and personal. Dove #7.5 or 8 mod/full if they don’t want to decoy that full choke helps reach out there a bit when pass shooting. If they’re really being shy the full with #6 will reach out and connect, great for big shoots on large fields. I run a 20ga for everything but ducks, I’ll be trying the 28 this year on upland.

Lots of variables. Two different birds, two different needs.

The best quail loads I've used were the 1 oz 7 1/2, 12 gauge WW/AA's @ 1350 fps. Impact velocity makes a big difference. Choke depends on whatever you can hit with. One ounce loads tend to pattern fairly tight.

Chukar are bigger and depending on how well they hold, makes a big difference on what load a person uses. My standard Chukar load isn't what most would consider ideal. I never patterned it, (but I will) think it was pretty bad. Sure killed a lot of birds. 1 1/8 oz number 7 @ 1565 fps. Browning invector plus improved modified choke. If I were start from scratch with a new load. it's be your basic 1 1/4 oz of 6's @ 1330 fps.. I would take the time to shoot it at paper.

Back