What cartridge for a custom rifle.

Nhenry

Lil-Rokslider
That's a pretty awesome setup you have. I decided to ditch the ultralight plan and just try to build something that is relatively lightweight, well balanced, and simply cool to look at (similar to your rig). As far as cartridge choice the Ackley cartridges all peak my interest. I was thinking about going with a 250 AI because a close friend of mine has one but I am also interested in 280 AI, 25-06 AI, 7mm-08 AI, and 243 AI. Also thank you for the suggestion!
6.5-06 AI. Ample power, lots of bullets, not a ton of recoil, and brass can be found easily (25-06 necked up a little and fireformed).

The only reason I would recommend against the 250 AI is lack of good bullet selection. Barnes makes some decent ones, if you can find them, but other than that, Bergers are really your only other option that allows you to get the most of the cartridge.

For me, I would stick to 6, 6,5, 7, or 30 caliber.
I hear this all the time regarding 25s. I just don't understand. You have high and low bc options from several companies that pretty much cover everything. If your gun won't shoot 25 cal hornady 134 elds or berger 133/135 hybrids then you need a different barrel or gun. There's also lower bc options from various companies if you want to go real fast.

Nhenry

Lil-Rokslider
I hear this all the time regarding 25s. I just don't understand. You have high and low bc options from several companies that pretty much cover everything. If your gun won't shoot 25 cal hornady 134 elds or berger 133/135 hybrids then you need a different barrel or gun. There's also lower bc options from various companies if you want to go real fast.
Tons of great options for .257 but little to no factory support with fast twist barrels. I think the Barrett Fieldcraft was the only 25-06 that came with a 1-9, and even that’s too slow for the bergers and elds.

I built a fast twist 25-06 (1-7.5) and it was lightning in a bottle, though I used heavy monos instead of the leaded stuff.

Tons of great options for .257 but little to no factory support with fast twist barrels. I think the Barrett Fieldcraft was the only 25-06 that came with a 1-9, and even that’s too slow for the bergers and elds.

I built a fast twist 25-06 (1-7.5) and it was lightning in a bottle, though I used heavy monos instead of the leaded stuff.
Yeah factory is a different category. Maybe it's wrong of me but when someone mentions "custom rifle" I automatically attribute that to handloading.

Nhenry

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah factory is a different category. Maybe it's wrong of me but when someone mentions "custom rifle" I automatically attribute that to handloading.
Yeah that's proper. I wasn't being combative, just saying where the common conception on the "25 cAl LaCks aLl" comes from.

While I get what you are saying, only having two bullet makers giving viable options for bullet weights above 120 grains doesn’t scream “lots of options” to me.
Even the options in the 110-120 grain range are much fewer than the “average” weights in the ones that I mentioned.

That being said, there are enough options to keep the quarter-bores alive, but, in my opinion, the numerous options in the calibers I mentioned allows for you to get the absolute best combo for your rifle.

My next custom will be a 6 CM. Hopefully more factory chamberings will come along and I won't need a custom.

While I get what you are saying, only having two bullet makers giving viable options for bullet weights above 120 grains doesn’t scream “lots of options” to me.
Even the options in the 110-120 grain range are much fewer than the “average” weights in the ones that I mentioned.

That being said, there are enough options to keep the quarter-bores alive, but, in my opinion, the numerous options in the calibers I mentioned allows for you to get the absolute best combo for your rifle.
I guess I rarely test more than 2 bullets anyway. A good barrel typically produces good results with most bullets for me. I see what your saying though. Some guys test to death.

22 creedmoor 88eldms or 77tmks light recoiling and should be plenty of gun and it’s just been saami approved.

Floridave

FNG
I am doing the same with an old REM 721 action and went with a fast twist 243 for shooting the heavy 6mm bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk