What cartridge for a custom rifle.

Currently building a 25-284 though that's a bit of a hotrod for the ranges you mentioned. I too would go with something out of the norm, not for any practical reasons, but just cause.

Ernie

Lil-Rokslider
It's good to see you posting here!!! I don't have any experience with Tuebor but that's good to know. Glenn replaced a set of rings of his that were 10+ years old that I broke. They were from back in the day when he started selling them on the hide and that was all he made.
Thanks!
Matt was trained by Speedy Gonzalez. In the hunting world that may not mean much, but in the comp world that is notable. My Batman lightweight bench pistol is getting a remodel, and a Tuebor action is part of that-Speedy is doing the work to boot. Life is good!

rootacres

WKR
7 SAUM
20"-22" Proof
168 VLDs in that 2800-2900 fps range
Plenty of energy for everything you listed without being a big recoiling monster.

So far for me, from deer to elk, nothing has made it more than a few steps.

I too like the the 280 AI, you just need a long action. The 7 SAUM you can get by on the right short action unless you want to run the really heavy for caliber 7mm bullets.

I have a question...what is a person gaining by purchasing one of the above mentioned rifles or a gunwerks. Seriously can't imagine a reason to have a 7800 gun. Coule you not use a rebarreled tikka, rem 700, etc.? Or even a factory tikka with a carbon stock and not achieve the same level of accuracy, weight, functionality, etc.? Are people buying these guns for the name? I'm genuinely curious. I can see justifying the cost of a ~$3000 rifle but past that I find it a stretch to see ANY benefits!

SDHNTR

WKR
Gunwerks exists because of their marketing and for no other reason. They sell thousand yard “proficiency” out of the box. And a fool and his money are easily parted. And they aren’t $3000, they are more than twice that.

There is certainly some added value to a custom rifle over a factory Tikka in terms of fit and finish and quality of construction. Whether that results in greater accuracy is debatable, but some people will pay more to have nicer stuff. A Toyota Corolla will get you from point a to point B, but yet Mercedes-Benz still sells cars by the thousands.

Gunwerks exists because of their marketing and for no other reason. They sell thousand yard “proficiency” out of the box. And a fool and his money are easily parted. And they aren’t $3000, they are more than twice that.

There is certainly some added value to a custom rifle over a factory Tikka in terms of fit and finish and quality of construction. Whether that results in greater accuracy is debatable, but some people will pay more to have nicer stuff. A Toyota Corolla will get you from point a to point B, but yet Mercedes-Benz still sells cars by the thousands.
I never claimed them to be $3000 but I agree with your points made. It's just hard for me to comprehend that kind of coin when a guy can buy factory rifles and factory ammo that is indeed 1000 yard proficient. I've seen plenty tikkas come off the shelf shooting 3/4 inch 5 shot groups with factory hornady ammo.

SDHNTR

WKR
I never claimed them to be $3000 but I agree with your points made. It's just hard for me to comprehend that kind of coin when a guy can buy factory rifles and factory ammo that is indeed 1000 yard proficient. I've seen plenty tikkas come off the shelf shooting 3/4 inch 5 shot groups with factory hornady ammo.
Yes, but they are also ugly, made of plastic parts, all one action length, and built with an eye towards cost savings, of course. I’m just playing devils advocate here, nothing wrong with that. Some people care about the finer things, myself included. I like Rifles that look and feel nice, as well as shoot accurately. I’m willing to pay a premium for that.

Since you are a reloader, my vote would be for a 7-08AI. I can push 162 grain ELDX to 2800 fps out of a 20" barrel. The recoil is not bad either, but my rifle is about 2.5 lbs heavier than what you are trying to build.

OP
D

Dustin B.

FNG
Since you are a reloader, my vote would be for a 7-08AI. I can push 162 grain ELDX to 2800 fps out of a 20" barrel. The recoil is not bad either, but my rifle is about 2.5 lbs heavier than what you are trying to build.
I haven't thought of that yet. I'm really considering trying an Ackley cartridge.

I haven't thought of that yet. I'm really considering trying an Ackley cartridge.

I built one on a Tikka action a few years ago. 20" Bartlein barrel, Rem Varmint contour, spiral fluted, threaded 5/8-24 for a suppressor, McMillan Game Hunter edge fill stock, Mountain tactical bottom metal, factory M+ mags, Burris XTR signature rings, Nightforce SVH 4-14X50 scope.

With a healthy dose of Varget and Lapua brass I am getting 2808 fps with a 162 grain ELDX. Using a "light" load of H4350 and Lapua brass I am getting 2790 with the 150 grain Nosler LR Accubond. I can push that up to 2890 and still be a good bit away from pressure signs.

WKR
Easy. Just build a .223, 6mm creed, 6.5 PRC, 280AI, or 338RCM. One of those should work.

OP
D

Dustin B.

FNG
I built one on a Tikka action a few years ago. 20" Bartlein barrel, Rem Varmint contour, spiral fluted, threaded 5/8-24 for a suppressor, McMillan Game Hunter edge fill stock, Mountain tactical bottom metal, factory M+ mags, Burris XTR signature rings, Nightforce SVH 4-14X50 scope.

With a healthy dose of Varget and Lapua brass I am getting 2808 fps with a 162 grain ELDX. Using a "light" load of H4350 and Lapua brass I am getting 2790 with the 150 grain Nosler LR Accubond. I can push that up to 2890 and still be a good bit away from pressure signs.
That's pretty impressive!

BAKPAKR

WKR
To give you an idea about weight, my Remington 700 in 280 AI weighs 7 pounds, 5 ounces scoped with a 3-9 Trijicon. It has a 22” Benchmark Remington KS contour barrel and it is bedded in a McMillan Remington KS stock (27 or 28 oz before bedding). For me, this weight is a good compromise between ease of shooting and the ability to hand carry all over the hills.

IMG_9847.jpeg

OP
D

Dustin B.

FNG
To give you an idea about weight, my Remington 700 in 280 AI weighs 7 pounds, 5 ounces scoped with a 3-9 Trijicon. It has a 22” Benchmark Remington KS contour barrel and it is bedded in a McMillan Remington KS stock (27 or 28 oz before bedding). For me, this weight is a good compromise between ease of shooting and the ability to hand carry all over the hills.
That's a pretty awesome setup you have. I decided to ditch the ultralight plan and just try to build something that is relatively lightweight, well balanced, and simply cool to look at (similar to your rig). As far as cartridge choice the Ackley cartridges all peak my interest. I was thinking about going with a 250 AI because a close friend of mine has one but I am also interested in 280 AI, 25-06 AI, 7mm-08 AI, and 243 AI. Also thank you for the suggestion!

That's a pretty awesome setup you have. I decided to ditch the ultralight plan and just try to build something that is relatively lightweight, well balanced, and simply cool to look at (similar to your rig). As far as cartridge choice the Ackley cartridges all peak my interest. I was thinking about going with a 250 AI because a close friend of mine has one but I am also interested in 280 AI, 25-06 AI, 7mm-08 AI, and 243 AI. Also thank you for the suggestion!

The only reason I would recommend against the 250 AI is lack of good bullet selection. Barnes makes some decent ones, if you can find them, but other than that, Bergers are really your only other option that allows you to get the most of the cartridge.

For me, I would stick to 6, 6,5, 7, or 30 caliber.