What cartridge for a custom rifle.

CorbLand

WKR
350-400 yards is not really stretching the envelope too far.

6.5 creedmoor would be one I would consider. Light on recoil, easy to find a load that works, not hard on barrels.

OP
D

Dustin B.

FNG
What other rifles do you have in your lineup? With a 400 yard max I would go light (22, 6, 6.5 Creed).
I have a Remington 700 bdl in 22-250, a browning bar in 243, another bar in 270, a Mossberg Patriot in 6.5 creedmoor, and a couple Winchester model 94 in 30-30. I'm kinda leaning towards 6mm creedmoor, 280 AI, and 250 AI.

Antares

WKR
If I was building a new gun today, it would be a 6CM shooting the 108 ELDM. Personally, I’d do a Tikka action, not a Rem 700. SS barrel cut as short as I could go while still staying above 1800 fps at 500ish yards. Add a suppressor and an NXS 2.5-10x42.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
If I was building a new gun today, it would be a 6CM shooting the 108 ELDM. Personally, I’d do a Tikka action, not a Rem 700. SS barrel cut as short as I could go while still staying above 1800 fps at 500ish yards. Add a suppressor and an NXS 2.5-10x42.
Fantastic approach assembling a delivery system around a projectile with a purpose!

mitchellmountain

Lil-Rokslider
Just had that type of rifle put together using a savage LWH action and a lightweight contoured barrel in 284 Winchester. If you are a reloader the 284 is a good choice. I am primarily a deer hunter with the occasional elk thrown in and that rifle will get it done with 154 grain interbonds out to 500( my max range). Recoil isn't really an issue, but I wouldn't call it light either.

Unckebob

WKR
In terms of weight, my Origin Build comes in at 7.5 lbs with a 20" Criterion threaded barrel on a Grayboe Terrain stock (38oz) on it.

A swap to a lighter stock would get me under 7lbs and I don't have a pencil barrel b/c it is threaded. I cannot touch the 6's though.

I'd look at a seekins element in 6cm. It's a lot of rifle for the money. It's all quality parts, well though out, great stock ergos (though thats subjective), its just a great all around package for the price. I have one in 6.5cm and it's just over 7# with an swfa 3-9, 3rnd mdt mag, and srs mini arca rail. Easy sub-moa 10rnd groups. I've taken it to 700yds+. It's not as easy to shoot at truly longrange for me as a 10#+ rifle, but that's not what it's for. It's a 500yd and in hunting rifle for me, and it does that very well.

I waffled back and forth between 6cm and 6.5cm for a bit but went 6.5 only because I have multiple rifles chambered in 243/243ai that range all-up from sub 7# to 12# and my 6mm niche is filled.

Without having those and starting fresh the element 6cm would've been a no brainer. Good luck in your search!

Also once your barrels toast just send it back to Glen and crew with a check for 500$ and they'll rebarrel for you.

Last edited:

Ernie

Lil-Rokslider
I'm starting to think I should as well.
I know folks here locally that kill elk with 243 Winchester's and 6 Creed's.
They pass on difficult shot opportunities, and wait for the broadside or a head shot.
I use the 110 Accubond in my 25 Creed Pachmayr Dominator (14" barrel).
Even with a 14" barrel (Krieger) my muzzle velocity is 2726 fps, which gives me just over 1850 fps at 500 yards. You can see I have the accuracy at 500 yards for hunting, even in windy conditions.
1800 fps is the minimum impact velocity for the AB to work right.
I don't plan on shooting that far with the Dominator.
I do plan to use it for a cow elk in the future though.
The 1911 frame makes it more difficult to be accurate with infield positions than my XP-100's
25 Creed, 25 Sooper (25-308 Winchester), 25 SAUM, 25 PRC are all options for a short action set-up. I have a 25-284, but it is on a single-shot action. With a magazine, you would need to go to a long action, or use a single-shot action.

My 25 PRC
MVK6Rygl.jpg

Some initial load development at 100 yards, shooting prone.
Lym81QFl.jpg

Ernie

Lil-Rokslider
I'd look at a seekins element in 6cm. It's a lot of rifle for the money.
Glenn makes really good stuff. He is a real good guy and a good LR field shooter to boot.
You can say the same about Matt at Tuebor as well. He is just not as well-known yet.

Glenn makes really good stuff. He is a real good guy and a good LR field shooter to boot.
You can say the same about Matt at Tuebor as well. He is just not as well-known yet.

It's good to see you posting here!!! I don't have any experience with Tuebor but that's good to know. Glenn replaced a set of rings of his that were 10+ years old that I broke. They were from back in the day when he started selling them on the hide and that was all he made.