What cartridge for a custom rifle.

Dustin B.

FNG
I am planning to build a Remington 700 custom rifle but can't make up my mind on what to chamber it in. I want something that can kill deer, sheep, and potentially elk. I also want my gun the be pretty light so I want something that is pretty light recoiling.

OP
D

Dustin B.

FNG
I've put quite a few hunting rifles together and if I was in your shoe's I'd pick the 280 AI, I sure like mine.
How bad do you think the recoil would be in a lightweight rifle (about 7lbs.) I've heard a lot of good things about 280 AI and would love to have one.

Ernie

Lil-Rokslider
I am planning to build a Remington 700 custom rifle but can't make up my mind on what to chamber it in. I want something that can kill deer, sheep, and potentially elk. I also want my gun the be pretty light so I want something that is pretty light recoiling.

What is your skill set when shooting from field shooting/hunting position in terms of max distance?
Do you reload?
What weight do you want the rifle, scope and all to weigh?

SDHNTR

WKR
Need more info. Any decent centerfire will kill deer, sheep and elk.

I'd really recommend reading the .223 for elk thread before deciding on a caliber. My big takeaway was that velocity at impact matters a ton! For example I have a 7mm rem mag. With a 162 eldx that thing is still above 1500 fps at 1400 yds. I will never kill an elk at 1000 yds. Too much gun...
So if I was picking a new cal, I would probably pick a bullet and a max range I wanted to shoot at. Keeping in mind the minimum impact velocity for that bullet. Then I'd probably find the mildest recoiling bullet in that area and that'd be my pick.
Idk if this helps but that's my take.

JD Jones

WKR
How bad do you think the recoil would be in a lightweight rifle (about 7lbs.) I've heard a lot of good things about 280 AI and would love to have one.
My 280ai fully loaded with optic is 7.2# I do not have any reservations with the recoil and I’m not a fan of thumpers. Now that said I use a muzzlebrake on this one

OP
D

Dustin B.

FNG
What is your skill set when shooting from field shooting/hunting position in terms of max distance?
Do you reload?
What weight do you want the rifle, scope and all to weigh?
I am comfortable shooting up to 400 yards and I also do a lot of reloading.

Ernie

Lil-Rokslider
Creed family or the 308 family is capable of 400 yards up to elk.
You can surely go bigger if you want.
Are you wanting to go total custom?
Total weight of rifle plus scope?

OP
D

Dustin B.

FNG
Here is some additional info for the people who asked. I plan on my rifle being about 7 pounds or under with a scope. I am comfortable shooting out to 400 yards but don't plan on shooting over 350.
List of components I plan on using:
.Shaw barrel
.Bell and Carlson mountain stock
.And a Leupold scope (not set on that)

BjornF16

WKR
22 CM 7” or 7.5” twist shooting 88 ELD-M

6CM 8” twist shooting 103 ELD-X or 108 ELD-M

Both very lethal inside your max range limit of 400 yards and both light recoiling

Put a SWFA 6X or 3-9X on it and you’ll be all set.

Read the .223 and 6mm big game threads as well as Scope field evaluation threads

OP
D

Dustin B.

FNG
7# with a scope is pretty light. What action are you using?

Pencil Barrel?
Yes. I plan on using a very thin barrel and a super lightweight stock. The action will just be a Remington 700 adl. I'm hoping it will weigh 7 or less.

SDHNTR

WKR
Imo, you are spending too much time chasing ounces on paper rather than practicality in the field. Rethink things imo…

7# rifle and scope is hard to shoot well.
Pencil barrels suck.
Far better scope options than Leupold.

Spin a quality #4, 22”, .308 or 6.5 cm. onto your 700. Nightforce SHV. Be happy.

Last edited: