What caliber would you start a hunter with?

I live and hunt in Oregon, hunting mostly deer, elk, and the occasional pronghorn. I am looking to get a couple of young hunters into the sport and am curious about your experience for a young hunter and a caliber of choice. I am looking for something that is capable of all of Oregon's big game, has reasonable recoil, long barrel life, and ample ammunition availability. Something they can use now and well into the future. I have narrowed my selection down to either a 6.5 Creedmoor or a 308 with reduced recoil loads. Any experience going either way?

I know there are other great options, but I am sold on either of these two avenues...

wesfromky

WKR

JMundy84

Lil-Rokslider
Beat me to posting this same link

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
How old are they and what size human? They need to develop skills to handle and function a rifle safely on their own before ever going "deer hunting".

A good recommendation can be made with some more information.

Finn16

WKR
I started my son off with a 270 Win with reduced velocity handloads. As he got bigger, I increased the FPS and the recoil that goes with it. He was big for age so he didn't need a youth stock to start with but I'd go that route for smaller kids and then switch to an adult stock as they grow into one.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
There you go, this is great!

Go into that thread, use the search function and then use the "everywhere" drop down and change to "this thread". Next go to the bottom where it says "by:" and type in @Formidilosus

Then read and report back.

WCB

WKR
6.5crd, 7mm-08, 243, 6mmcrd etc. I think getting an adjustable gun set up will help a lot also. I properly fit gun is more enjoyable to shoot and easier on the shoot. So if you can find a caliber above in a normal weight rifle (not light weight) with adjustable length of pull and cheek weld. That is where I would put my money.

MT-nuffgun

Lil-Rokslider
Out of the 2 you listed, 6.5 creedmoor with light loads. Personally, with kids, I’d go even lighter if state game laws let me. 6mm creedmoor, .243 Winchester, 6arc. Plenty of evidence on this forum proving the 6mm/243 as a “all around” hunting caliber. Heck a lot of guys prefer a .223 Remington and after seeing the proof, I cannot argue against it.

Friend of mine was known locally as a "gunsmith" and people often came to him for advice.
He got a call from a gentleman who needed help getting his son ready for his first trip to Colorado. He had bought the kid a rifle and the kid just could NOT hit anything with it!
Mitch met the pair at a local shooting range.
Dad told the kid (12 years old, maybe 110 pounds) to shoot one round to show Mitch.
When the kid pulled the trigger, a choking cloud of Texas dust erupted in front of the bench due to muzzle blast, the kid's cap flew off and recoil nearly flipped him off the bench!
Mitch asked dad what the rifle was.
It was a .300 Wby Mag!
Mitch told dad, "The first thing you need to do is get the kid a rifle he can shoot!"

Dad bought the kid a .243 Win. The pair had a fine trip and Jr. killed a mulie bigger than Dad's!

There are WAY too many fine, low recoil cartridges out there to start a kid on heavy recoil.
In fact, if I started a kid that I would be hunting beside, a .30-30 Win is a fine starter cartridge.....and within it's capabilities, it will take anything on the North American continent!

.257 Rbts
7×57 Mauser
.243 Win

What about AR calibers?