What binoculars should I get for a first time hunter ?

Mikhail

FNG
I’m just getting into hunting and new a set of binoculars, what kinda of spec should I get?

I hunt deer, elk, hog etc… I live on the west so I glass a lot of hillsides and mountains.

Budget 500ish

Should I get: 8x42 or 10x42 or 12x50 or 15x etc….

And what budget tripod would you guys recommend?

I’ve always been partial to 8x42’s. I they are a bit more versatile. Maven is a solid choice and so are vortex vipers in that price range.

peterk123

WKR
I have been using 10x42 meopta meostars hd. Fairy new to western glassing. Cost me a grand. Worth every penny. The difference is when you have low light. Elk 100 yards away? No problem. Put it on a tripod and it's next level.

Like people will tell you.... buy the best you can afford.

OP
M

Mikhail

FNG
Anything but vortex. Stick to 8x or 10x because it's difficult to steady 12x or 15x without a tripod.

Do you have a budget for a tripod? Glassing with binos on a tripod is a game changer.
Nothing crazy for the budget for the tripod 100-200

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Check Doug at Cameraland. Solid guy with great knowledge.

How soon do you want/need your optics? Don't forget about the used market. You can find decent deals if you watch out. Maybe spend another $100 for some used binos that will give you a step up above the regular priced $500 binos.

I once saw some Zeiss Conqueat HDs on Craigslist for $450! Guy sold em before I could get em.

Check out Adorama, EuroOptic, B&H Photo and CameraLand for their used/clearance sections.

$500 is kind of the "tweener" amount, it's between the "Really Good" glass and the "Good Glass."

If I had $500 I'd look for some $800-1000 glass thats used. Might have to wait a little and scour the sites, but they're out there.

Fjellvei

Lil-Rokslider
Refurb vortex diamondback HDs 10x42. If available grab them from aaoptics.com for factory refurb , it's under 120 bucks, transferrable warranty blah blah , easy choice for me

Drenalin

WKR
I’d throw the Leupold BX-4s in the mix, either 8x42 or 10x42 for my tastes. Mine were under $400 new, seems used ones are going for $350 to $400 now. I like the Promaster tripods, but I don’t know if they’re exactly budget…they were running a decent sale on their website a few days ago. Maybe an aluminum 522 if you’re a sitting only type.

Honyock

WKR
8x42 or 10x42 Watch the optics classifieds at the bottom of the forum list. Lots of good binoculars at discounted prices. Get the best that you can afford.

Jvick23

FNG
I’ve been happy with my vortex viper hd 10x42. I’d look through a few different brands. Everyone’s eyes are different.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Lots of good advice here and I'll second to buy used. Highly likely the pair you buy will not be the pair you use for the next few years so let someone else absorb the deprecation over new.

Search early and often on craigslist and offerup. I found a pair that way of new, 10x42 Vortex Viper's for $125. I searched 2-4 times a day (a little luck never hurts) and agreed to meet soon after our initial contact.

Good luck,

Eddie

Frazier92

FNG
I picked up a set of second hand Nikon 10x42's and a harness for them for $100 from reddit. I figured they'd be good for a starter pair. I've been using them for about 3 years in the midwest (IN) and haven't even looked at another set. So all that being said a secondhand pair have served me perfectly well and cost me a fraction of the cost as a new-er hunter.

Things will probably change as I'm planning a west coast hunt in the next year or two.

TheGDog

WKR
Definitely go for at least 10x in good-ish quality glass. (Really love my 10x42 Zeiss Conquest HD. ) They're a significant degree better that you instantly notice! and more enjoyable to use than stuff in the price range you're initially stating. And 10x will do you well as a general all arounder that handles like 99% of most hunters needs.

The only reasons to go 8x would be if you know you're only going to be in thicker environments, and you believe you're not going to be using them on a Tripod hardly ever. And if you are going to be hand-checking on things while hiking up the trail and huffin' and puffin'. Then 8's can sorta will help with the shakiness of trying to use them while your pulse is pounding. But even then a set of 10's in the better glass will make you change your mind about that!

Biggest thing I also noticed besides the sharper image with good contrast... is that the pricier binos you get a deeper "Depth of field" in the view! Which means you focus on one object, but you can still see fairly in focus for a significant number of yards in front of and behind the main object you focused at.

Doesn't sound like much of a thing, but it really helps your brain more quickly process a lot more image data, so you can grind thru territory you're scanning thru on the Tripod even faster. Without having to do as much re-focusing all the time.

I noticed on the lesser binos.. that "Depth of field" was significantly more narrow. (And there is always this ring of fuzziness to certain width around the perimeter of the image in the binos. On the better grades you don't have that.) With a narrow Depth of Field, you focus on your main object, and if there's something front/behind of your object... even if not that far away from it.. it still requires you to focus the wheel in order to see that other thing not much farther away from your initial object you focused upon, in order to see that other object in sufficient focus.

Had Vortex DiamondBacks + Vultures before, but after a handful of years in the field. One day they eventually failed on me out in the field. The eyecup assembly, the adhesive seemed to have failed. Maybe the heat and sun cooking them? I dunno. I used it as an excuse to upgrade, got on here and kept looking for Nicer binos in classified until saw one that fit the budget I was willing to do at that time. Found the Zeiss for $750 at that time. Was so impressed I bought the 15x as well, later on down the line.

Last edited:

tony

WKR
Doug put me in a set of Kowa BD 2 XD 10 x 42.
Mystery Ranch chest rig off black orvis, believe it was on clearance.
Tripod Sirui traveler 5cx off Amazon. I got this to go with a small spotter I have
Aziak makes a compact mount for binos to put on a tripod I want to try

Check Doug at Cameraland. Solid guy with great knowledge.

How soon do you want/need your optics? Don't forget about the used market. You can find decent deals if you watch out. Maybe spend another $100 for some used binos that will give you a step up above the regular priced $500 binos.

I once saw some Zeiss Conqueat HDs on Craigslist for $450! Guy sold em before I could get em.

Check out Adorama, EuroOptic, B&H Photo and CameraLand for their used/clearance sections.

$500 is kind of the "tweener" amount, it's between the "Really Good" glass and the "Good Glass."

If I had $500 I'd look for some $800-1000 glass thats used. Might have to wait a little and scour the sites, but they're out there.
Good advice here.
I really like the wider field of view and depth of my 8X 15yr old Nikons.

I bought a pair of Sig Zulu 7 in 10X and they're good but I somehow keep going back to the 8X Nikons.

Once you use 8X for a long time, 10X feels like a paper towel tube.