what are your top 3 items not to cheap out on?

dotman

WKR
1 - Pack
2 - Shelter
3 - Optics

I have found that you don't have to pay an arm and a leg if you find a boot the fits you right, my Asolo boots were under $100 and work great for me. My old Hoyt Turbohawk was deadly and not nearly as expensive as my Carbon Element.

Rocky

WKR
Boots .. If you can't get there you can't hunt them
Optics......If you can't see them you can't hunt them
Pack.... If you can't carry your gear or game you might as well stay home

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
Definitely won't cheap out on boots and optics, don't know what the 3rd is. I try to get quality on everything as the rest of the items previously listed are important. The heel fell apart on my 10 year old Perfekt Hunters last week, now I need to replace them. That creates a dilema as I don't think the new ones are as good and my feet have changed in that time period. I have good sheep hunting/mountain boots and just need 200-400 gram insulated for elk and deer. Need to get this done before I go back to Utah to chase cats. Man, thoe rocks are hard on boots.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
IF I had to choose.

1) Boots
2) Clothing
3) Pack

Funny thing how there are some very good hunters on this site, and yet we are all diverse in what we may or may not consider to be the most important items. I've got $2300 Swaro binos that never even made the trip with me on my last two elk hunts. My last elk hunt didn't even have binos or spotter in my pack. Everything really depends on how, what, and where you are hunting.

I know the thread asks what 3 are the most important to you. To answer that question in whole I think every item I need is important in its own right. I work a 40 hour week desk job to support my family. I also work as a Personal Trainer for another 10-15 hours per week to support my hunting needs. I don't golf, bowl, jetski, drink, smoke, etc. If it isn't family or work related 95% of what I do revolves around hunting, even in the "off season". That said I feel no qualms about buying the best of what is available for my hunting adventures. I guess it just comes down to priorities.

Matt Palmquist

Lil-Rokslider
Ya, I meant to preface my post by saying most of my hunting is done in the plains states so that is why those are my top three...for elk hunting it would be different for sure, but I just don't hunt the mountains as much as most of the guys on this site....top 3 would be different for high country elk vs high country deer as well.

sodak

FNG
1. Planning
2. Attitude
3. Physical Conditioning

I figured I would go a different direction here. If you do these, you are set. I guess you could lump what everyone is saying here in planning.

Hawker

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with Sodak. It seems to me that to many people think gear is gonna get it done. I rely on myself. As I always say my ass follows my mine.

sodak

FNG
Maybe I need to explain my post a little more. I've seen people with nothing more than flip flops, a cigarette, and a camel-hair blanket out hike our best equipped troops in the mountains. I've also seen people wrap all of their supplies in a blanket, flip it over their back, and go over high mountains. Each group thought nothing of it. Yhea, they would probably sell a relative for the quality gear that we take for granted. Things can get miserable and deadly when we are out for days (or even hours) on a mountain. But, no amount of gear will make up for what is between your ears and the planning that you have done before hand. That being said, I have seen many plans slide down a KY-lubed pole into a steaming vat of excriment pretty quickly.

Just my thoughts fueled by too many scotch drinks.

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
For me, clothing is a given. If you are not prepared for what mother nature sends your way, you should probably find another hobby. For me, the most important items to not "cheap out on" is:
Boots - (hard to hunt, especially in the mountains) without the support, comfort and warmth of a good pair of boots.
Backpack - Whether you are using a pack for a multi-day backpack hunt or just a day pack, comfort and the ability to carry heavier weight can make a hunt miserable or pleasant.
Shelter - (tent and/or bivy sack, sleeping bag and pad ) are important. Hard to hunt if you don't get decent rest in at least a semi-comfortable environment.

Mike7

WKR
Boots, sleeping bag, and optics...because I just have never found an item that actually works really well is also cheap in these three categories.

I like having a good pack, tent, and clothing a lot for the increased comfort and decreased weight, but have made due in the past by picking good quality cheaper objects from these categories.