What are your thoughts on the Kung Flu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobbyboe

WKR
It is every Americans choice to wear a mask or not. Not yours but thanks for your concern.

Why the aggression? The guy was stating his opinion.

This whole thread is an absolute joke, a bunch of dudes puffing their chests, calling out others because they think their opinion is worth more.

I don’t understand why grown *** men can’t have a civil conversation. Sheesh! Wish mods would just shut this **** show down. There is little useful conversation going on now, just a measuring contest.

Mike7

WKR
Let's try another one:

Who woulda thunk, that possibly, putting a barrier between your (infected) exhalation and others might have some effect on virus transmissibility? Rocket science, I tell ya.

Mr. Jeremy Howard, mask proponent is giving his opinion. Did you read how he sites evidence which actually contradicts his hypothesis?

Let's try another one:

Who woulda thunk, that possibly, putting a barrier between your (infected) exhalation and others might have some effect on virus transmissibility? Rocket science, I tell ya.

Not peer reviewed. If you wanna wear a mask go for it. 90% of the people I see wearing masks are doing so incorrectly or half assed however you’d like to put it.
Same with gloves.They wear gloves to go to Walmart and shop. They touch the cart, every item they put in their cart, the dirty ass self check out centers, your car keys, phone, wallet or purse for some of you, then get in their car touch a whole bunch of shit and then take the gloves off. Now honestly did that really help anything.

Mike7

WKR
Why the aggression? The guy was stating his opinion.

This whole thread is an absolute joke, a bunch of dudes puffing their chests, calling out others because they think their opinion is worth more.

I don’t understand why grown *** men can’t have a civil conversation. Sheesh! Wish mods would just shut this **** show down. There is little useful conversation going on now, just a measuring contest.

How are people supposed to learn, if they are never challenged when they are misinformed?

There are people on here who are actually interested in exchanging information and learning new information that comes out, while some are focused only on their political point of view, and in doing so can mislead others. Should they not be called out to explain themselves, or is this a college snowflake zone.

And you cant divorce politics from science, because most of these issues are well over 50% politics.

Holy shit bro you’re posting research articles from Vanity Fair trying to convince people to wear a mask. Vanity Fair, really?
Are you going to quote someone from The View next?
Sorry I saw it somewhere else talking about this study, I'm not sure what vanity fair is, but here is the study.

Either way I just dont think it should be too much to ask that we wear a mask if we're indoors close to other people.

Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk

Holy shit bro you’re posting research articles from Vanity Fair trying to convince people to wear a mask. Vanity Fair, really?
Are you going to quote someone from The View next?
Sorry I saw it somewhere else talking about this study, I'm not sure what vanity fair is, but here is the study.

Either way I just dont think it should be too much to ask that we wear a mask if we're indoors close to other people.

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
Some folks just do not care for the government telling them they cannot do things like work, camp, fish, etc. They also do not care for other folks telling them they need to wear a mask.
There has been so much contradiction from the actual experts on masks, gloves, the kung flu itself that no one knows what to believe....and we are really just in the infancy of this virus.....I do not see any rhyme or reason for why some places are getting slammed and other places are not other than the places with great health care have a greater % of susceptible people and some places the people are just unhealthy in general.....like countries with lots of fat slobs/high smoking/high % of elderly.

I bet the majority of people who want everyone to wear a mask are in a highly susceptible group.....I see a lot more very large people out walking than I ever have before..

I think we will be dealing with this for quite a while into the future and we do not know who to trust for accurate information because everyone has an agenda.

Went to the food store yesterday and very little meat, cannot use the coffee grinder/good bulk coffee selection because of kung flu and also cannot get bulk nuts because of kung flu....but I can handle all kinds of things that other folks will touch......just makes no sense.

Thank God my gym opens tomorrow.

Last edited:

Bobbyboe

WKR
How are people supposed to learn, if they are never challenged when they are misinformed?

There are people on here who are actually interested in exchanging information and learning new information that comes out, while some are focused only on their political point of view, and in doing so can mislead others. Should they not be called out to explain themselves, or is this a college snowflake zone.

And you cant divorce politics from science, because most of these issues are well over 50% politics.

This site is a place for civil conversation and discussion, not chest puffing, alpha vs beta, type a vs type b, left vs right. Specifically relating to you, haven’t ready many of your posts and my comments were directed towards you. They were made generalizing that most of the substance within this thread is garbage.

Regarding wearing of masks, it is known that masks reduce the spread of viruses in general. That’s not debatable. How big of a reduction specifically Covid related, who knows, but better than not wearing one for sure..... Surgical or cloth masks will do little to protect you, but will reduce the spread of your saliva and mucus particles, thus lowering the possibility of spread if you are positive asymptomatic. Is it a good idea to wear them in more heavily populated area or if you feel concerned. Yes, it’s your right not to wear one too.

As far as the virus in my state, I’m seeing interesting trends in some counties that lead me to believe that the virus is less severe than the current stats show. At this point until more people are tested and also antibody testing is done, I won’t know if I’m correct in my theory. I don’t think it’s as sever as most think, but that being said, I’m not ignorant to dismiss the importance of ppe use to limit exposure and reduce the spread.

Bobbyboe

WKR
Personal review of the Covid response:

I think we as a country were slow to respond. Anyone with two brain cells could see this virus was going to hit the states.

I agree with the initial closures due to the possibility of over stressing our healthcare and first responders, in addition to not having appropriate supplies and people needing to be educated.

I disagree with the hospitals laying off employees. They should have taken this time to cross train staff in icu procedures.

Now that we have stabilized and have a surplus of supplies, I feel we should open. With opening, people in areas of higher infection should use common sense and use ppe equipment.

Testing should continue and also increase the availability of antibody testing. When we have a larger sample size to compile stats, then we as a country will know where we’re heading.

There is no reason for another closure unless local hospitals are overrun. We need herd immunity or a vaccine, both of which won’t happen soon. This virus won’t go away, even if we shelter in place for 12 months. It’s here to stay.

My 2 cents.

Last edited:
Not peer reviewed. If you wanna wear a mask go for it. 90% of the people I see wearing masks are doing so incorrectly or half assed however you’d like to put it.
Same with gloves.They wear gloves to go to Walmart and shop. They touch the cart, every item they put in their cart, the dirty ass self check out centers, your car keys, phone, wallet or purse for some of you, then get in their car touch a whole bunch of shit and then take the gloves off. Now honestly did that really help anything.

quite a bit of science progresses without randomized tests. For example, there are no randomized tests in astronomy but they have still managed to learn about the universe. Peer review is a valuable element of vetting science but it is not critical. It is just one element of how scientists evaluate the effectiveness of research. I say these things as a professional scientist whose work is peer reviewed. And I am regularly conducting peer review. This virus is moving fast and society benefits from scientists posting and using papers pre peer review though that introduces a bit more uncertainty.

Further, when I’m grinding metal or sanding wood I wear safety glasses. It doesn’t keep 100% of the particles out of my eyes but pretty dam close. I’ve never seen a peer reviewed article about safety glasses and I don’t need one. Masks not only help you from getting “debris in your mouth it has the added benefit of keeping your crap from spraying all over everyone. I don’t need a peer review article to tell me masks work cause I was born with a modicum of common sense.

Your point that masks are useless because people are careless is true to some extent, but most people who care about protecting their health are doing their best to be very careful with what they touch and how they handle things. Even if 50% of them aren't, that's still better than 100.

That "study" is what I would call a "computer-generated model".
If computers can't accurately predict weather beyond a week, for which they have decades of patterns and history to go off of, how is a model of a virus infection going to be accurate when they haven't been able to observe anything very similar with modern technology. Especially for 100-200 days out? They don't even have accurate data to feed the computer!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Bobbyboe

WKR
That "study" is what I would call a "computer-generated model".
If computers can't accurately predict weather beyond a week, for which they have decades of patterns and history to go off of, how is a model of a virus infection going to be accurate when they haven't been able to observe anything very similar with modern technology. Especially for 100-200 days out? They don't even have accurate data to feed the computer!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

What would be better, no model forecasting, or some forecasting even though the data is incomplete?

quite a bit of science progresses without randomized tests. For example, there are no randomized tests in astronomy but they have still managed to learn about the universe. Peer review is a valuable element of vetting science but it is not critical. It is just one element of how scientists evaluate the effectiveness of research. I say these things as a professional scientist whose work is peer reviewed. And I am regularly conducting peer review. This virus is moving fast and society benefits from scientists posting and using papers pre peer review though that introduces a bit more uncertainty.

Further, when I’m grinding metal or sanding wood I wear safety glasses. It doesn’t keep 100% of the particles out of my eyes but pretty dam close. I’ve never seen a peer reviewed article about safety glasses and I don’t need one. Masks not only help you from getting “debris in your mouth it has the added benefit of keeping your crap from spraying all over everyone. I don’t need a peer review article to tell me masks work cause I was born with a modicum of common sense.

Your point that masks are useless because people are careless is true to some extent, but most people who care about protecting their health are doing their best to be very careful with what they touch and how they handle things. Even if 50% of them aren't, that's still better than 100.

The virus is not going anywhere. A vaccine is quite a ways off. Do you plan on wearing a mask for the rest of your life to protect yourself?
I am over it. I’ve been working the whole time. Haven’t wore a mask or the silly gloves. If a business requires I wear a mask, I will shop else where.
I don’t care if you choose to wear a mask just stop pushing this agenda that everyone should be required to wear one in public. It just wears thin.

The virus is not going anywhere. A vaccine is quite a ways off. Do you plan on wearing a mask for the rest of your life to protect yourself?
I am over it. I’ve been working the whole time. Haven’t wore a mask or the silly gloves. If a business requires I wear a mask, I will shop else where.
I don’t care if you choose to wear a mask just stop pushing this agenda that everyone should be required to wear one in public. It just wears thin.
The masks aren't to protect you. It's to help reduce the spread of your germs if your asymptomatic, or still in the incubation period. Perhaps saving the life of someone not lucky enough to be as young and healthy as yourself.

It's just selfish to not wear one inside a closed space with other random people. It's a simple task, that could save someone life.

Funny how the people who won't wear a mask are the same Karen's that want to tell a women what to do with her body because "every life matters"

This right here.

jmez

WKR
Thank God science isn't based on common sense.

I mean, why'd we ever quit blood letting? Virus is circulating wouldn't it be helpful to run 50% ofbit down the drain?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

The masks aren't to protect you. It's to help reduce the spread of your germs if your asymptomatic, or still in the incubation period. Perhaps saving the life of someone not lucky enough to be as young and healthy as yourself.

It's just selfish to not wear one inside a closed space with other random people. It's a simple task, that could save someone life.

Funny how the people who won't wear a mask are the same Karen's that want to tell a women what to do with her body because "every life matters"

You vehemently crusade for saving all the obese asthmatic diabetics from a virus but killing 900,000 babies every year is just meh, oh well.

Pretty sure you’re the Karen, Karen.

How the F did you make that jump.
Anyway if masks are so effective yours should save you. Right?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.