What are you getting charged for tanning Bear hide?

I brought a couple here, slow turn around time. they do batches of 500 at a time, large operation. I just brought them my frozen hide. Still waiting on the results, but from what they had hanging I was very impressed. It's a garment grade tan, so it was the a little softer than the standard dried leather I get from my taxidermist.

They also can make custom garments. They have some for sale on the website. I might have them make a black bear vest once they are tanned.
View attachment 443702View attachment 443704

Shipping Information:

Pricing:
Definitely will be contacting these folks.

Have a lot of bears around me with white on their chest. Unfortunately full or chest mounts of bears are not appealing to me...and not functional.

So Im in the rug/blanket camp I guess...still sad I wont be able to use the beautiful white if things work out with one of those bears.

So open for recommendations.

Big_wals

Lil-Rokslider
Never had them do a bear, but between my brother and I we've had USA Foxx tan a couple dozen raccoons, beavers and coyotes. Very reasonable prices and seems to be a high quality tan. Highly recommend them

WCB

WKR
Personally I would avoid USA Foxx...at least I wont use then again. The stuff I have gotten back from them is good but have been getting the run around on a Beaver I brought to then in 2020. Gave plenty of time in regards to pandemic but going on over 2.5 years and told a couple more months since last November in stupid. Some how I've gotten 4 deer done in a year, an otter tanned and various other pelts back from other tanning operations but they haven't finished Beaver from 2019

Last edited:
I brought a couple here, slow turn around time. they do batches of 500 at a time, large operation. I just brought them my frozen hide. Still waiting on the results, but from what they had hanging I was very impressed. It's a garment grade tan, so it was the a little softer than the standard dried leather I get from my taxidermist.

They also can make custom garments. They have some for sale on the website. I might have them make a black bear vest once they are tanned.

Shipping Information:

Pricing:
View attachment 443699
I had brought a small bear hide a guy was getting rid of to give to my parents and it took almost 4 months longer than they originally quoted. When they fleshed it they went pretty deep and the final product looked pretty thin and patchy. They then gave me the tanned hide and told me I would have to turn ears, lips, paws, and sew shot hole and eye lids myself. Their clothes look nice however I was definitely not impressed with what I received.

Northpark

WKR
I just learned how to tan all my own stuff. It’s easy to order the supplies online and there’s some good YouTube videos showing how to do everything. For $100 and some time on a Saturday fleshing I can tan several deer size hides or a bunch of fur barer type hides.

I did this axis doe hide (have done several of these) that now sits on my chair. I have another one on the couch.

I did leave a bear hide at the taxidermist in Alaska this spring just to avoid flying with it. Think it was about $600 if I remember right for a tan.353AD01F-1DFC-453E-8656-7ED25B86AD82.jpeg

knale87

Lil-Rokslider
Was quoted approximately $500 for a euro and the hide tanned in SE MT

Erict

WKR
Assuming you are able to get the hide properly prepped, I'd go with Moyle as well. Two types of tanning for them - "intact fur", which leaves a soft, flexible hide, and "taxidermy tan", which is self-explanatory.

I have skinned and fleshed plenty of coyote, fox and deer, but my brother's 220 lb black bear this weekend was a first. He wanted dorsal cut so we couldn't gut it first. It was 70 degrees when we got started, 2 hours after the kill. He had zero experience with fur. Getting the hide off and skull out went fairly easy. He worked on the meat while I worked on fleshing the hide. I used my fleshing beam and a Necker fleshing knife for most of the greasy work. I left him to do the paws, split the lips and ears. Let's just say it took a much longer than I would have guessed. I'm not sure I'd skin and flesh another WARM bear for $1000. I've always respected the artistic side that goes into taxidermy, but now have a new appreciation for the grunt work they do and the prices they need to charge.

AKBC

Lil-Rokslider
Assuming you are able to get the hide properly prepped, I'd go with Moyle as well. Two types of tanning for them - "intact fur", which leaves a soft, flexible hide, and "taxidermy tan", which is self-explanatory.

I have skinned and fleshed plenty of coyote, fox and deer, but my brother's 220 lb black bear this weekend was a first. He wanted dorsal cut so we couldn't gut it first. It was 70 degrees when we got started, 2 hours after the kill. He had zero experience with fur. Getting the hide off and skull out went fairly easy. He worked on the meat while I worked on fleshing the hide. I used my fleshing beam and a Necker fleshing knife for most of the greasy work. I left him to do the paws, split the lips and ears. Let's just say it took a much longer than I would have guessed. I'm not sure I'd skin and flesh another WARM bear for $1000. I've always respected the artistic side that goes into taxidermy, but now have a new appreciation for the grunt work they do and the prices they need to charge.
Dorsal cut on a bear? What is his thought on that?

dieNqvrs

Lil-Rokslider

Shipping Information:

Pricing:
View attachment 443699

Eff this company! I have 2 mountain goat hides with them that have been there 3 years and they are shifty and flighty about why it is taking this long. I think they sold them, ruined them or lost them. I asked them to return them back to me and they said they are in process over 10 months ago. #neveragain! #effthem

dieNqvrs

Lil-Rokslider
Personally I would avoid USA Foxx...at least I wont use then again. The stuff I have gotten back from them is good but have been getting the run around on a Beaver I brought to then in 2020. Gave plenty of time in regards to pandemic but going on over 2.5 years and told a couple more months since last November in stupid. Some how I've gotten 4 deer done in a year, an otter tanned and various other pelts back from other tanning operations but they haven't finished Beaver from 2019

Same run around experience for 3 years with 2 mountain goats. Never again for me.

dieNqvrs

Lil-Rokslider
Best 2 tanning companies I have used are the Wildlife Gallery in Michigan and Moyle in Idaho. Flesh and salt And send to them and both are professional quality services.

Local shop has a price listed of 100.00/linear ft for hair on tan,if you want a rug its listed at 260.00/linear ft including felt backing.
Not sure how current these prices are.

Greg
In Alaska I always heard around 100-125 per linear foot for tanning. That was a couple years ago, however

MDR

FNG
My last bear (5'6" or so) was $400. I had already boned the paws, split the lips and turned the ears. Haven't had one tanned in 2 or 3 years now.

CREillY

Lil-Rokslider
Got my bears back yesterday. The price was 25$ a linear foot plus 100$ to flesh them. They really fleshed the hide skin, which is their "Garment grade and I'll have to soak and turn the paws myself. Over the quality seems good for 250$ a 6ft bear. I'm not sold on the garment grade, thin flesh, but I guess they've been doing it that way for 40 years and it doesn't hurt the integrity, even in Garments.

My guy (now retired) did his own tanning and I got my 6'6" rug in 6 weeks for $320 (including shipping).

IMGP3241.jpg
IMGP3244.JPG