What are you getting charged for tanning Bear hide?

Couple questions. I don't need any more rugs, and really on the fence on keeping hides but I got a pretty nice one I want to simply tan, that's it. What are you getting charged in your area? I get the taxidermist would have to turn ears, paws, flesh , salt etc but the prices seem to be getting to the point of why even bother taking a bear hide out of the woods, or any further than a check station?

600ish is what I'm being told.

Anyone have a place to send hides for tanning once the initial prep work has been done? What are they charging you?

Last edited:

Redjones

FNG
Local shop has a price listed of 100.00/linear ft for hair on tan,if you want a rug its listed at 260.00/linear ft including felt backing.
Not sure how current these prices are.

Greg

WKR
Last one I had tanned was $350. That was 2-3 years ago though. I'm good to around $400 maybe $450.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
$400 on my last on. The other spot in town is $600-700.

dk88

FNG
That sounds similar to what my taxidermist in Montana charges, last year's prices were $55 a foot and im guessing they went up slightly since then.

wytx

WKR
A wire brush wheel on a grinder will flesh out paws quite nicely after they are split.
Moyle Mink tans bear hides for $173.25, why send them anywhere else? Just ask for intact fur dressing instead of taxidermy tan. They must be fleshed and dried hides though.

dkhor

FNG
A wire brush wheel on a grinder will flesh out paws quite nicely after they are split.
Moyle Mink tans bear hides for $173.25, why send them anywhere else? Just ask for intact fur dressing instead of taxidermy tan. They must be fleshed and dried hides though.
Just checked out their website, great recommendation man!

lkwoolsey

WKR
Couple questions. I don't need any more rugs, and really on the fence on keeping hides but I got a pretty nice one I want to simply tan, that's it. What are you getting charged in your area? I get the taxidermist would have to turn ears, paws, flesh , salt etc but the prices seem to be getting to the point of why even bother taking a bear hide out of the woods, or any further than a check station?

600ish is what I'm being told.

Anyone have a place to send hides for tanning once the initial prep work has been done? What are they charging you?
Check out Sebring Tanning....it's in Florida, but his prices are quite a bit cheaper. Gotta ship it, but it's no biggie if you salt it. He does awesome work. His website doesn't have a price listed for bear, but elk is about $75, and he does quite a few animals. I'm sure he could quote you a decent price.

Buffalo

FNG
I used moyle mink for my fall 21 bear. It was $190ish out the door for just the tan. Took about 3 months. I did have to flesh, turn and salt the hide. It wasn’t that difficult but a bit time consuming for a first timer.

$30-35 linear dry tan. Unfortunately the tannery I used is in process of relo as the local wastewater laws have changed.

EdP

WKR
Bingo on what Buffalo did. Find a taxi to split and turn the paws and head, or just cut them off. You don't have to do the paws and head. A bear skin is still nice to have. Cut off the paws and head, flesh the rest, salt and dry and send to Moyles.

CREillY

Lil-Rokslider
I brought a couple here, slow turn around time. they do batches of 500 at a time, large operation. I just brought them my frozen hide. Still waiting on the results, but from what they had hanging I was very impressed. It's a garment grade tan, so it was the a little softer than the standard dried leather I get from my taxidermist.

They also can make custom garments. They have some for sale on the website. I might have them make a black bear vest once they are tanned.
1661288672521.png1661288870601.png

Shipping Information:

Pricing:
1661288568928.png