What are the top factors determining where you live?

OP
WBrim

WBrim

WKR
20 years ago I would have said a high girl to guy ratio…

Now it’s my wife, like I already said…
That was a big part of why I moved to go to school where I did- and then I met/married my wife and moved right back where I started!

jtevanMT

Lil-Rokslider
I moved to MT 23 years ago with two small children because I did not want to raise them in a big city. I have never regretted that decision. After raising 3 kids in MT (youngest is 14 now), quality of life is still the #1 priority.

tony

WKR
Moved from northern Ohio to southern Ohio in 1991. SE Ohio is really its own state. Met a girl from across the river in WV. Well things lead to things and we ended up with a child. I took a job in WV we moved in together. Spent 25 years together, and well she decided it was time to part ways. My actions over the years played a big part in it I'm sure.
Anyway, I now date a girl back in Ohio and spend most my time over there. I really can't give a reason I keep a place in WV now. I have no family in WV, my daughter lives and works in Pittsburgh and my folks are still in northern Ohio.
WV has its issues but, if you love freedom, the outdoors, great firearms laws, hunting and fishing. Its a damned good state.
I'm roughly 3 hours from my folks and daughter. I'm a nurse and can go to any of the 50 states and work and I have no wife to dictate where I can go. I've got the most easiest nursing job I've had and it pays pretty OK as well. With that, I keep in the back of my mind I may have to move closer to mom and dad in the next few years. They do well in their 70's but they are slowing down a little and I make a trip about once a month to help out. I really don't want to live in a democrat ruled area though.
If I do get a chance to move anywhere its got to be a red state. I know politicians are liars and assholes for the majority of them.
I personally feel for any chance of freedom its the only way.

Wife and her family for me. They're all in the same town as us just a few minutes down the road. Massive help with childcare. Great people. Not sure if we'll ever move but the mountains definitely draw me. There's a ton of outdoor opportunity close to me so that keeps the nomad feeling a bit at bay. Currently taking about one hunting trip per year out west to scratch the itch.

Pikespeak

Lil-Rokslider
Work, period. We lived in MO for work, then McDonnell Douglas was bought by Boeing and we were offered very lucrative positions to move to the Seattle area. It was a no brainer because of the money. And we have loved it here, the fishing/crabbing/clamming etc is right in our alley. Hunting, meh. But I have been quite successful recently. The political situation is a bit disturbing though.
We came out 3 years ago and I’ve never been more depressed in my life with no sun. We’ve since left. Buddy moved out soon after me and had the same experience. How do you manage?

Recreation, family(in-law and mine), familiarity, agriculture pays pretty well in rural areas here. I see upward potential without having to go to a big city. Wife is remote and rural development program got us fiber optic so that’s nice!

gabenzeke

WKR
I was born here. Started work right out of high school. Took a promotion thinking I would leave Iowa later when I had more money and move to Montana. Chased more money until I was married. Then had kids. Now I'm a lifer.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

CorbLand

WKR
Moved here for school. Got a job. Got married. Bought a house. It works for now but hopefully will find the opportunity to get out in 5-7 years.

Could live in many worse places.

MattB

WKR
Years ago I told my wife I was moving to the mountains for elk, deer, lion Barbary sheep and anything else I can draw a tag for she said let’s do it .Bought a place in south central NM , got 5 horses and all the gear to make a good hunt. I hate the liberal politicians in NM, I hate the drugs, I hate the violent crime here but I love the mountains, I love theThe big canyons,the ponderosa pines, the hunting. NM is a beautiful place run by some very liberal stupid politicians.
Same here for CA, except for the 5 horses.

JFK

WKR
Family and my career are what keep me where I’m at. We live close to the the coast in Ca but in more of an ag area with a pretty high cost of living. It’s alright. Definitely some things I love and some things I don’t like about it. The thing is, I’ve looked at other states and the wages are so much lower elsewhere that it’s not really cheaper to live there when you consider employment prospects. Houses are cheaper but I’d make 75% less doing the same job.

Trial153

WKR
We live a i. beautiful area, fantastic schools, low crime, Mountain View’s. Welcoming community full of mostly good people. Rural yet close enough to amenities that we aren’t lacking for convenience or comfort. My wife and I both have family near by. Earning potential is just about unlimited for educated professionals or skilled labor and tradesmen. Not much not to like.

Last edited:

Stalker69

WKR
It's where my wife and I were born, it's " home". Grew up on the same block actually, and live about a mile from there now. Our oldest son now lives in the house I grew up in.

Fitzwho

WKR
I lived in Midland as a kid and grew up around West Texas. When I came back in 2012, it was for the oilfield money. Went from making less than $60k to making 3 times that (most years). Wasn’t a hard move at the time as I went to work at the same company as my brother and my parents were still in town.

Brother moved to Dallas 4 years ago and Dad retired and moved to the lake in 2021. So other than the money and it being a better starting point to hunting the west than moving 300-500 miles further east/south, there’s not much here for me. It’s not a bad place to raise a family though. But if I moved to San Antonio or Corpus Christi we would be closer to my family and my in-laws. My wife will be inheriting some property down there, so been looking hard for some new opportunities down there. But nothing yet.

OP
WBrim

WBrim

WKR
Talking with a buddy today, I sort of decided a couple factors that will likely play into the next place.
1- no more of this horrible traffic, if at all possible
2- somewhere without curb and gutter everywhere. I know that seems odd, but it seemed to make a guideline some guys understood…

NWT Canada for me, and its only for the hunting and fishing as the town sucks lol. never had to look for work and no draws for hunting, I get my caribou, moose, black bear, and sheep tag each and every year. Goes along with my wolf, grizzly, and wolverine tags. only beef that has been purchased in the last 15 years is for fathers day when we get the prime rib for the BBQ. 5 minutes from my house there is no cell service and don't see a soul, works for me till my wife wants to move. -40 and dark in the winter is hard but we try to get south for a couple weeks each January or February to help keep our sanity, or what's left of it

Blacktocomm

Lil-Rokslider
Honestly one of the main drivers for us is state income tax/property tax. My wife and I are in our prime earning years and moving to an income tax state could end up costing us a lot.

So state income tax and proximity to an office while we are waiting for a couple more promos are the main drivers.

Maybe in 5-7 years that will change, but tax landscape is a huge factor and probably will remain to be.