What and how do you carry your sidearm in the highcountry?

Just how a guy would that would draw carrying on the waist band with a winter coat on in public. left hand pulls coat up and right hand draws. I carry appendix inside the waist band with multiple layers on in the winter. Practice practice practice is the key...I am by no means a speed shooter but I am efficient and smooth.

Too be honest most times my outer layer is kind of tucked up behind it when I put it on anyways so mostly uncovered anyways. Most important part on wearing long clothes is making sure you clothing is clear when you are holstering. I have seen multiple occasions where clothing gets caught in the trigger guard and gun goes off while holstering.
Fair point. Your post inspires me to go for a cross-draw OWB setup. One that I can easily move from pack belt to waist belt and back.

These guys make just such a thing for my Glock 20. https://www.crossbreedholsters.com/product/the-reckoning-holster/?ref=fp-top-sellers

I only carry on bow hunts. The USMC will teach you to always keep your rifle in arms reach, so even doing stuff around camp or breaking down an animal, it’s close and ready to grab and use.

On a bow hunt, I’ve used a Safariland ALS tied with a little creativity and 550 cord so it sits tightly to the bottom of my AGC KISS. The way I tie it and the way I have the straps nice and snug, it’s high enough that it’s not tapping on my belt or anything. There is still potential for it to make a little plastic knocking sound when you bend over though. This was a budget solution that actually worked quite well. Security of the ALS is excellent, but also instantly available.

Next hunt, I will likely purchase the Kenai or something similar. I think I’d like it up higher and somewhat hidden is not a bad thing.

One lesson from the guy and his dad that just got mauled out of Kenai, Ak:

Don’t use a holster with a retention strap that you have to undo to draw. His first attempt a drawing he couldn’t get his 10mm out of his holster…..then the bear was on him tossing him around.

I've hunted with a leg/drop holster a few times. Some pro's & con's, but it works out alright. I've carried a couple varieties of Glocks (10mm or .357sig)

I carry a glock 21 on an eberlestock bino harness. I always used to carry it on my hip in a holster but my pack puts pressure on it, causing the screws to come loose. So I made the switch to the harness holster and absolutely love it!

I carry my spray underneath my bino harness pointed away from my body. In a pinch I can operate the spray with one hand and the business end is already pointed at Mr. G Bear. S&W 629 on my hip belt with 305 grain HSM hard cast. Heavy gun, pain and a pain the rear end but I shoot it better than my 10mm.

I know of too many goofy encounters with big predators to not have some insurance.

I usually hunt bear country so I use a strong side drop holster as that is what I have found is the quickest draw for me. Attached to my belt, not my pack so it is always on me if I decide to drop my pack. FNS 40 with TLR 7 light shooting Underwood 200 gr hardcast. I try to only carry my bow or rifle on my left side so my right is always free to draw quickly if needed.

I'm changing my method this year. Posted earlier about using the Marsupial holster under their bino pack. Carried great, but I also refused to carry chambered since the muzzle covers anyone on my left side. I just bought a Gunfighters chest rig to wear behind my bino harness. Think I'm really going to like this setup.

Back