What age do the kids start carrying packs?

My elder, boy, is 10 this year and just shy of 70 pounds I'd say. I was contemplating getting him a backpack for our western Kansas deer hunting this fall. To be honest I'm not sure what he'd carry in it. Maybe a water, some snacks, and he could stuff his puffy in there when he doesn't need it. That's probably the maximum, unless he kills something, then I'd for sure put the backstraps in there so he could feel like he packed it out himself. But I'm a little concerned it'd just be another thing and slow him down. We tend to cover about 8 miles a day walking the prairies and our thicker prairie grasses can make for slow youth walking. I expect anything I'd buy would be in that 3 to 4 pounds range. Seems weird to plus up 4 pounds of gear to carry <10 pounds of gear. He could always sling a game bag over his shoulder should we get lucky. Thoughts?

gburk

WKR
For our boys, as soon as they were old enough to come along, they would carry a pack. We had an old Gregory kids pack that was small and lightweight.
Like you said, some water, snacks, wet wipes, a lighter, just the essentials and nothing heavy (or fragile!!)

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
My daughter started carrying a small pack with water, snacks, and a few items she wanted to bring at 5. Half the time it ends up in my pack, but it makes her happy.

As soon as she is big enough to fit something with a frame I plan to start working it in.

I think it depends on the kid. I would rather introduce it on hikes, because then it doesn't matter as much if it ends up strapped to my pack.

Let him be useful and work. Carry is own stuff at a minimum. His bino's, knife, snacks, water, headlamp, rain/cold gear.
Teach him the privilage of hunting comes with responsiblities too.
Teach him "that's not heavy" by letting him try your pack.
Soon enough he'll be carrying your gear for you so you can keep up.

OP
Dos Perros
Soon enough he'll be carrying your gear for you so you can keep up.

That's a good way to look at it.

This kid just seems to have no sense of urgency. We have done lots of hiking, almost none of it him carrying anything, and he's always lagging behind. The only time he was really on my hip was after we stepped over a fresh pile of grizzly bear shit.

Edited to add: I do think he's strong, and tough, he's just always distracted by what's between points A and B, and not too focused on getting to point B.

eric1115

WKR
Last edited:

Marshfly

WKR
Literally looking at these this morning for my 9yo. He will be 10 next month and ready for his first big game hunt with a tag in his pocket.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I just bought my kids this pack at Dunham's sporting goods for 24 bucks on sale

Obviously not designed to carry heavy meatloads etc. but they can throw their bino's, knife, snacks, water, headlamp, and such in it, and might still have some room to put a backstrap or two in it to ease the weight on old dad for our upcoming trip

On our eastern whitetail hunts this pack should work just fine as well

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
One if the highlights of my oldest son's first deer was a front quarter in his own backpack. He was 10 and this was just the right thing for him. Jacket, food, water, etc during the hunt and just right for a front quarter. .
View attachment 777394

I haven't weighed it, but it's not a hindrance and it's now on its third ten year old first year hunter
View attachment 777391

I really like that pack, will save this for later as an upgrade to the cheap pack i just bought my kids, thanks!