Wet tarp/tent in backpack.

What do you when you’re backpacking and your tarp/tent gets soaked?

• Dry bag inside backpack

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • Exterior bag on backpack

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • Shove it in you pack because everything else is water proofed

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • You consider your $600 shelter is disposable so you leave it on the side of the mountain.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters

Felton

WKR
What do you do when your tarp or tent gets wet and you’re ready to move on hiking?

Do you have a dry bag it goes in and then into you pack?

Maybe a mess pouch on the outside of your pack for wet items?

FlyAK

FNG
I’ll put it in a dry bag. If it’s not raining when I pack it up I can get it pretty dry just by shaking it and using a small sponge to wipe up moisture or condensation on the inside. Works really well.

I’ll take it out to dry as soon as conditions permit though. Even if I’m just going to be glassing for a few hours. That way when I get to my campsite for the night it’s dry.

Personally, I hate strapping things to the outside of my pack, even if the tent would dry quicker. Risk of snagging and tearing while moving isn’t worth it. Plus it looks sloppy and my time in the Army has ingrained in me not to have my pack look like a “gypsy camp”

schmalzy

WKR
I’ll put it in a dry bag. If it’s not raining when I pack it up I can get it pretty dry just by shaking it and using a small sponge to wipe up moisture or condensation on the inside. Works really well.

I’ll take it out to dry as soon as conditions permit though. Even if I’m just going to be glassing for a few hours. That way when I get to my campsite for the night it’s dry.

Personally, I hate strapping things to the outside of my pack, even if the tent would dry quicker. Risk of snagging and tearing while moving isn’t worth it. Plus it looks sloppy and my time in the Army has ingrained in me not to have my pack look like a “gypsy camp”

Firmly agree. Few things drive me crazier than a bunch of stuff haphazardly strapped and bouncing around and snagging on a pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Felton

Felton

WKR
I’ve been entertaining the idea of hyperlite exterior mesh bag. It attaches the outside of the bag and could store wet items.

Strap it to the outside like always. That's where tents belong. Put them horizontal on the top for better weight bias, on the back vertically if snagging is an issue. On the bottom works too. Saves room in the pack for an item that doesn't need to be in the bag for protection or anything.
80cacd8a26c4937a8dc9d134340035fd.jpg
4ff1f266db26ac8a04bd31d654c94f52.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

My Warbonnet GT goes into its silnylon pouch which is roughly Nalgene sized. That goes into the side stretch pocket of the K2 3500.

Citizen

FNG
Wondering if the load shelf with xpac on the hell bender would be just the ticket. Many bags have pals on the bottom and some cord could secure the wet tarp and it will just drip on the ground.

sargent

WKR
I usually carry a Mountain Laurel Designs Prophet that has an exterior mesh pouch much like the one you are looking at. That's where the tent rides. I've also strapped in across the top of the pack like in @PathFinder 's second photo. It's great being able to pack everything else up in the tent while finishing my coffee, hop out, drop tent and go.

jp08ee

FNG
I agree with strapping it to the outside when wet. I'll using put it in a breathable mech pouch and strap it tight to the outside back or bottom.

*zap*

WKR
If you do not have a mesh pocket then it gets placed into stuff sack and strapped on pack, tie stuff sack draw cord to something on pack for extra insurance.

Maverick1

WKR
I use an 8x10 tarp so this is easy. Put it inside a 1 gallon ziploc bag. Stuff that inside backpack to keep it protected. Stop mid day to let it air dry. Good to go.

Part of the reason why I’ve never used a tent. Rains on almost every trip, usually at least one day, sometimes more. Wouldn’t want to hassle setting up a tent mid day to let it dry out, then packing it all up again. A tarp is easy.

WKR
I just stuff it in the bottom of my pack with other stuff that can get wet. My waterproof pack liner goes in above that with anything that needs to stay dry. I never understood the rationale of a "wet" bag for wet stuff inside a backpack that you try to keep dry with a rain cover that is fully open in the area where you need to have useable shoulder straps.

Clarktar

WKR
Strapped to outside as long as I'm not busting through really nasty brush. If so I put it in bottom of pack and keep dry stuff at top of pack.

I use a mesh merlin (maybe it's a different name/model) that attaches to outside of pack and can compress down. Love that feature of the seekoutside packs. Great for wet tent, or quick access for other items. Usually late afternoon I can pull tent out give it a few shakes and it's mostly dry by then.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk