Are any "waterproof" boots/hikers truly waterproof?

Alaska92

FNG
So the question is, outside of a rubber style boot, do you expect your waterproof hikers or mountain boots to remain dry in these conditions or will they all eventually get wet?
Yes I expect mine to stay dry and they have. You have to buy the right boot. The two make and model of boots that you mentioned did not surprise me that they failed. The proper gaiters and boots with a high rubber rand combined are a thing. Properly constructed boots that have a European origin are virtually the only boots that will consistently perform like they’re intended.

S.Clancy

WKR
Outside the obvious of rubber muck style boots, are waterproof boots that have a Goretex/sympatex/Bdry liner truly waterproof?

Here's my reasoning for the question:

Hunted the CO MZ season last week. Thursday afternoon and all day Friday we got rain. Wasn't a downpour but as you know, walking through wet grass and brush for hours gets you pretty wet. I had two different pieces of footwear that I used. First was a set of Oboz Arete Mid Waterproof (i believe these have replaced by the Katabatic style) . I was happy with the support and comfort but they got soaked through. Second pair is my Schnee's Beartooth. These also eventually got wet on the inside. Both are "waterproof" with their respective breathable liner.

So the question is, outside of a rubber style boot, do you expect your waterproof hikers or mountain boots to remain dry in these conditions or will they all eventually get wet?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Ryan
No leather or fabric boot will "not get wet" under those conditions due to physics.

The conditions you described constituted 100% humidity (soaked vegetation) outside of the boot, dry inside the boots. Your boots resists liquid water infiltration but are breathable, so water vapor can move freely out OR in. Because the humidity is lower inside your boot, and the boot is permeable to water vapor, over time the humidity outside will move inside until those values are approximately equal. That means soaked boots. Even with really good, leather, expensive boots this will happen, maybe to a lesser extent.

The only real solution to this is wearing boots that don't allow the transfer of liquid OR vapor, aka rubber boots.

Alaska92

FNG
Only until the Goretex wears out…..then they are not. There’s only a certain amount of flexes that membrane can take and still be effective. JMO
The right boot construction and leather treatment can minimize what “work” the membrane has to do. I have 2 pairs of boots that have been through the worst conditions Alaska can dole out for many years and still totally waterproof. Many, many “flexes” on them. Proprietary leather/synthetic treatment from some of the European boot makers can be important for longevity.

Muley Tag

FNG
The right boot construction and leather treatment can minimize what “work” the membrane has to do. I have 2 pairs of boots that have been through the worst conditions Alaska can dole out for many years and still totally waterproof. Many, many “flexes” on them. Proprietary leather/synthetic treatment from some of the European boot makers can be important for longevity.
Ha….okay. 🙄