Wet / Cold weather prep.

Segan

FNG
Just curious if anyone does anything different with their archery equipment for later hunts that could have a wet and cold environment? I'm going out on the extended archery hunt this weekend and watched the forecast calling for some snow. Hopefully it's not a whiteout and there is some visibility.

One thing that I do when I am building my setup initially is that I use a Limbsaver odorless liquid OR string wax on ALL my screws: sight, rest, quiver....

Anything that gets mounted to my bow has it on their threads to prevent any type of precipitation (snow or rain) from getting into my threads and rusting them up on my bow.

One thing that I do while I am sitting in sold weather like that is every 30-40 minutes I draw my bow and go through all of my shooting lanes and holding a few seconds on different objects in them and then let down. Typically at full draw for about a minute or so. It'll keep your muscles warm and you as well. Plus it will make things easier when that shooter comes in.

swat8888

WKR
I'm about to embark on an elk hunt this weekend and its calling for rain/snow with barely above freezing temps during the day and teens at night. Any issues with bow getting wet all day and freezing at night?

When hunting in the snow I have had my release get wet and then later freeze and quit functioning. When it's really cold like that I end up with the release inside my glove to make sure it stays dry and warm.

RUTTIN

WKR
I too am headed out on the Front, I have a week off of work to chase them big ole muleys. I am prayin for the snow to dump. Like was stated earlier any moving parts you may have on your bow, its a good idea to just make sure they are still moving every once in a while. I had a drop away rest not want to move one time because it was froze, check your peep site often to make sure there is no ice or snow buildup in it. Check your knocks to make sure they don't have any snow and ice in them. Good luck to you on the Front.

OP
S

Segan

FNG
I too am headed out on the Front, I have a week off of work to chase them big ole muleys. I am prayin for the snow to dump. Like was stated earlier any moving parts you may have on your bow, its a good idea to just make sure they are still moving every once in a while. I had a drop away rest not want to move one time because it was froze, check your peep site often to make sure there is no ice or snow buildup in it. Check your knocks to make sure they don't have any snow and ice in them. Good luck to you on the Front.

Ruttin, how did you do on the front? I think you where praying on the heavy side we had a lot of new snow. I did notice my peep collected snow/ice but other than that everything seemed good as far equipment goes. We took some noodle soup and hot chocolate it really hit the spot.

sk1

WKR
i got skunked on the front saturday, too much new snow....saw a few elk belly deep working down a ridge too far for me to get to, i was already in easily 6 inches above my knees on the ridge i was at. now that things have settled a bit, i am going out for tomorrow evening and all day wednesday

as far as my bow in late season i have never had any issues other than snow in the peep or on the pins, but that's pretty easy to brush off or huff your warm breath onto to melt it off.....the only thing i really do is make sure i dont have any ice/snow packed in where your cams roll over prior to drawing back so the string stays on like it's supposed to....pretty sure i read a magazine article about iced up cams years back and the string popped off while he was coming to full draw on a nice buck

The worse the weather is... the less people to compete with. I can't wait for my late season hunts to kick off! I don't do much different with my bow or accessories...

OP
S

Segan

FNG
SK1, Good luck it should be good. IMG_0129.jpgThis is what we were dealing with about half way in. And it got deeper.

Goober

Lil-Rokslider
I actually am sitting in the house right now, thawing out the rest on my bow. Froze up on me today and cost me a fat doe. I have a QAD Ultra Rest HD. Full containment drop-away style. I was out in the rain all day the day before yesterday (40 degrees), threw my bow in my truck and forgot about it. Got out yesterday, rest was frozen down, could not flip it up. Thawed it with my hand (now my hand is freezing) got it to flip up, and it promptly froze in the up position. Brought the bow inside for 14 hours, worked fine this a.m. prior to heading out. Froze up again today. Needless to say, that rest is going away. I wont tolerate equipment failure, especially expensive equipment. I thought about oiling it, but it specifically says on the rest DO NOT OIL.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I actually am sitting in the house right now, thawing out the rest on my bow. Froze up on me today and cost me a fat doe. I have a QAD Ultra Rest HD. Full containment drop-away style. I was out in the rain all day the day before yesterday (40 degrees), threw my bow in my truck and forgot about it. Got out yesterday, rest was frozen down, could not flip it up. Thawed it with my hand (now my hand is freezing) got it to flip up, and it promptly froze in the up position. Brought the bow inside for 14 hours, worked fine this a.m. prior to heading out. Froze up again today. Needless to say, that rest is going away. I wont tolerate equipment failure, especially expensive equipment. I thought about oiling it, but it specifically says on the rest DO NOT OIL.

Interesting... Given that scenario though, what rest would not freeze up? Whisker Biscuit, others?

I just threw one of those pieces of crap away when it failed (fortunately, I caught it in time and it didn't cost me an animal) and just replaced it with a good ol' standby Trophy Taker Pronghorn. Might not be fancy but, for me, it's always been really reliable.

Maxhunter

WKR
I was out there Saturday and the snow was almost up to my chest. I always just wipe my bow down and leave it in the house over night and have never had a problem! When on a hunt where I don't have the luxury of drying it off I leave it out side and cover it up with a tarp or plastic garbage bag. I've never had an issue an issue.

Goober

Lil-Rokslider
I have the owner of the local archery pro shop talking to QAD about the issues. As much as I was avoiding the whisker biscut, I am looking more serious at it now. That, or the old 2-prong Trophy taker. I refuse to tolerate equipment failure on a $130 rest, when there is a $40 option that won't fail.