Cold weather gloves

Brooks

WKR
I’m looking for a good pair of gloves for cold and wet weather hunting 0 to 20 degrees or so, rain and snow. I’ve looked at Kuiu and Sitka they have a pretty good selection of cold weather gloves. What are some tried and true cold weather gloves? A lot of times I wear wool liners and insulated leather mittens but I’m looking to use gloves that work.

z987k

WKR
Like everything, layers. I always run the head synthtic gloves you can get at costco for like $15. I have probably 10 pairs of them. Over that, I run either a goretex mitten when I'm skiing or on a backcountry sled trip. I like Burton there. Hunting I find a goretex glove, but try them on with my under gloves on, so I'm usually at least 1 size up. There's so many good ski and snowboard gloves under $80, I don't usually see the reason to pay hunting gear prices. Unless you have to have camo gloves.

Stumbled on Mountain Hardwear Firefall gloves last year and love them. My hands don't do cold well (like 45-50 degrees is cold), but these have done ok so far. Otherwise OR had a two piece glove/mitten that had enough wiggle room you could shake the mitten off your shooting hand.

*zap*

WKR
Check what outdoor research offers, plenty of choices with liners.....mitts and gloves. you might also check on masley cold weather flyer gloves, they offer some good dexterity if you get the fit right.

Last edited:

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Merino fingerless gloves with a trigger mitt style glove over them if it’s super cold or wet. Do yourself a favor and buy a pair of Oyuki Pep Trigger Mitts.

SonnyDay

WKR
I have actually had great luck with the ~$65 Cabelas gloves. They're waterproof-ish, have good ergonomics for doing stuff, and last several seasons.

Adding for those looking for winter gloves. I wanted something that would handle fairly cold temps in between my soft shell gloves and my mittens. Got inspired by this thread and ordered a pair of kuiu northstar gloves. I was worried about fitting as I have XXL hands and their biggest size is XL. They arrived today. XL fits. It will be a while before I have the weather to test them but they seem warm and fairly well built. I will post impressions once I get some days in the field with them.

68Plexi

WKR
I live in the mountains and worked in the ski/snowboard industry for a little over 10 years. There isn’t a single brand I could get to last an entire ski season that wouldn’t wet out or come apart eventually. The closest was an OR over mitt. Burton, BD, North Face (the worst), Dakine, Gordini, etc.

As some others have said, a good liner glove with a mitten over the top will be the warmest. I bought the KUIU Northstar glommet and they have been plenty warm enough with a thin liner underneath. I will actually take my finger out of the trigger slot and treat it like a mitten unless I need the dexterity. I’m not snowboarding in them for a full season but they have been dry and warm for two seasons. At the sale price they are at right now ($84?) they are a steal IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in the mountains and worked in the ski/snowboard industry for a little over 10 years. There isn’t a single brand I could get to last an entire ski season that wouldn’t wet out or come apart eventually. The closest was an OR over mitt. Burton, BD, North Face (the worst), Dakine, Gordini, etc.

As some others have said, a good liner glove with a mitten over the top will be the warmest. I bought the KUIU Northstar glommet and they have been plenty warm enough with a thin liner underneath. I will actually take my finger out of the trigger slot and treat it like a mitten unless I need the dexterity. I’m not snowboarding in them for a full season but they have been dry and warm for two seasons. At the sale price they are at right now ($84?) they are a steal IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great to hear, I purchased a set of the North star Glommet's today, Have some buddies with the KUIU Down Glommet's and they love them. I liked the leather palm of the North Star. for $84 I couldn't pass them up.