Western Style Standup Glassing Tripod/head Suggestions

AZinAK

FNG
Looking for suggestions for a good tripod and head combo that would lend well to big glass (15x56) and mostly glassing while standing. It would be ideal to also be able to use it sitting as well when needed. 6' tall and weight isn't an issue. Ease of use (not overly complicated leg deployment/stowing) and stability being key.

Last edited:
How tall are you? Are you wanting something ultra light? Are you wanting something ultra compact for carrying? What's your budget?

I use an Oben CT-2491 for what you are talking about. I'm 6' 5" and use the Outdoorsmans Pistol Grip head with my 15x56 Kaibabs and I can stand and glass comfortably without extending the neck and obviously can be used while sitting.

The only thing I wish was different about it is that it would have snap lock legs instead of twist lock. It weighs 3.5 pounds and costs about $300.

You did not say how tall; you are. But these are our best for standing if you are 6' or taller. They can all be used sitting as well

Sirui N series. Any of them and they are all on great promotions. Slik CF634, CF834 or if you are NOT backpacking the new CF934. Any of these with the Sirui VA5 fluid head would be a fantastic option. Give me a call to go over the specs

Joel
516-217-1000

Lots of discussion and info here:

Take a look at the No Name Junior tripod from Two Vets Sporting Goods. I used one this year and was really happy with it.

I use the slik cf-634 carbon tripod with outdoorsman pistal grip head, swaro 10x42els. Amazing setup and nice and light. I'm 6'1 and it can go higher than I can see with it

I'm a little taller than you and I like the Outdoorsmans tall tripod with the center post extension and the pan head for standing while using 15s. It works while sitting. It is not featherweight. Leg deployment is very simple. And it is stable. check check check.

The slik is very stable and nice and light. My buddy has the outdoorsman tripod super nice just a little too heavy for me.

Really Right Stuff (RRS) tripods are top of the line. Expensive but I've yet to see anything that is as stable. Made in the USA.

Looking for suggestions for a good tripod and head combo that would lend well to big glass (15x56) and mostly glassing while standing. It would be ideal to also be able to use it sitting as well when needed. 6' tall and weight isn't an issue. Ease of use (not overly complicated leg deployment/stowing) and stability being key.
Get a big Outdoorsmans aluminum tripod, thicker walled legs = better in wind, and Outdoorsmans heads specific to scope and bino adapter. Big fan of outdoorsmans, exellent warranty/repair service too. Its my main workhorse.

I’m 6’5” I went with a slik tripod and benro S2 head. Did a ton of glassing while standing this year and loved the set up. I’d have to look back at which slik model it is

For those of you that are +/- 6’ and use a 634....are you having to extend the center column?

As mentioned earlier, the anvil-30 on a 24L really right stuff tripod would do you very well. They’re American made and expensive but worth the cost. The added benefit of being able to mount a rifle directly to the tripod(through a arcs Swiss or 1913 rail) is a nice perk as well.

Slik 733 or 724 for price, weight, durability. Very sturdy with wind. Manfrotto 290 extra carbon if weight isn’t issue. 3.4lbs. Slik 634 if backpacking and weight is an issue. But if primarily STANDING, go with the first 3.

Back