Western mountaineering ratings

Looking for input from those that use WM bags. I know it is a bit subjective,but assuming I use a decent pad, generally are their ratings “comfort” or “survival” In your opinion?

I am looking at a Sequoia or a Kodiak for some upcoming trips.

fatlander

WKR
Definitely comfort, and even that is conservative in my opinion. My mega lite (30 degree WM rating) is warmer than the 5 degree north face one bag it replaced. I’ve had the mega light down to the low 20s and was perfectly happy in light base layers. Same temps in the north face bag required a puffy and I was still chilly. Last weekend, I had to open up the mega lite and hang leg out in the low 30s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKDoc

WKR
^^^^this^^^^

WM states that their ratings are conservative, and I have found that to be true for me.

I have a MF Badger, which WM rates at 15. I have been very comfortable nearing that temp wearing only base layers and a light stocking cap. I do tend to sleep warm, and I do always use a high r-rated pad.

ljalberta

WKR
I sleep cold. I tend to get chilly at the WM ratings in only base layers. As noted here, others are still warm. But the linked FAQ is your best best for a comparison between other brands.

Ultimately, you need to determine if you are a warm or colder sleeper. Once you’ve slept in a number of EN rated bags near their temperature ratings, you’ll have a better understanding of your needs.

I personally prefer a slightly roomier bag, as I can then layer on my puffy and bring the bag temp up when needed.

If you’re going WM, I’d recommend ordering with the overfill. You can get this free or charge theoigh Hermits Hut (call them if all their bags show as out of stock, and they can still put in your order). It’s slightly warmer, but the biggest benefit in my view is less shuffling of down is needed.

stevie

Lil-Rokslider
I've had my Sequoia in the mid teens, had to zip down to hot. So, I'd say comfort.

OP
Desk Jockey
Thanks for the input folks and especially @cornfedkiller for the heads up on the additional rating info. I tend to sleep warm, so I am going to consider the ratings go to go for my purposes.

The down in their bags can be moved proportionally to the top or bottom side of the bag by just sliding your hand over the baffles. This gives you a very wide temperature range. All down on top they easily meet their rating in comfort for most people.

When I hear about someone sleeping cold in a Western Mountaineering, I figure their down is not moved to the top. I'm usually moving down to the bottom to keep from overheating.

Last edited:

LaHunter

WKR
I have been in 0 degrees in my WM Kodiak for a handful of nights, without wearing my base layer and never felt cool / cold. The Kodiak is a legit cold weather bag, and it has enough room to not feel confined.

Climber

FNG

If you’re going WM, I’d recommend ordering with the overfill. You can get this free or charge through Hermits Hut (call them if all their bags show as out of stock, and they can still put in your order). It’s slightly warmer, but the biggest benefit in my view is less shuffling of down is needed.
I just place my first order through Hermits Hut and could not be any happier. I spoke to them on the phone for 10 minutes before ordering and they were very patient and helpful with my questions.
My Badger came with free overfill and I would highly recommend ordering from them in you are interested in a WM. I had my bag in three days from the time I ordered it.