Thinking of a new sleeping bag

sneaky

"DADDY"
One shouldn’t have to look hard. FF states it right with the individual bag, AS SHOWN ABOVE in post. One shouldn’t have to read fine print, or Q & A (AS SHOWN ABOVE in post) to find it like WM does.
They list it in the description of every damn bag. What more do you want? Bold print?

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
Another huge SG Chilkoot 15 fan. Fantastic bag and I’ve owned both WM and FF.

So you’re telling me that as a side sleeper, the Chilkoot offers more room that the FF and WM that I mentioned above?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
There is no better bag shape design right now (other than full custom) for stomach/side sleeper than WM's semi rec cut. I'm a stomach/side sleeper who normally changes sides/head position once or twice per night.

I just spent 8 days in my Sycamore MF and Thermarest Xtherm pad with no shelter and I actually look forward to sleeping every night while hunting/backpacking.

I also own the Sequoia GWS with overfill and use the same pad with that bag. For colder hunts/bad weather trips this thing is the bees knees. I probably have 200 or so nights with this set up and a Tyvek sheet for either over head or under sleeping pad depending on moisture. Shake it off, stuff it in the sack and keep on rolling. It's truly a piece of gear I'd never not own for how I hunt/backpack.

sneaky

"DADDY"
View attachment 633897
My FF bag states 900+ right in the description.
You realize that WM also states that most of their down tests at 900+ but once they build the bag the weight of the fabric itself compresses the down to a degree so therefore they list theirs as 850+. Both make nice bags, neither do custom work other than overfill.

So you’re telling me that as a side sleeper, the Chilkoot offers more room that the FF and WM that I mentioned above?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well from a stats point the SG chilkoot is 64" wide at shoulder. The Sequoia is 66" and the puffin is 64"

From a real world standpoint, the SG feels roomier than 64" as I have used 64" wide bags from both WM and FF. I would say the SG feels on same par as the WM badger at 65" wide.

bmart2622

WKR
There is no better bag shape design right now (other than full custom) for stomach/side sleeper than WM's semi rec cut. I'm a stomach/side sleeper who normally changes sides/head position once or twice per night.

I just spent 8 days in my Sycamore MF and Thermarest Xtherm pad with no shelter and I actually look forward to sleeping every night while hunting/backpacking.

I also own the Sequoia GWS with overfill and use the same pad with that bag. For colder hunts/bad weather trips this thing is the bees knees. I probably have 200 or so nights with this set up and a Tyvek sheet for either over head or under sleeping pad depending on moisture. Shake it off, stuff it in the sack and keep on rolling. It's truly a piece of gear I'd never not own for how I hunt/backpack.
What did you think of the SG Chilkoot bag?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
What did you think of the SG Chilkoot bag?
It’s a good bag. Nice and warm. The cut isn’t ideal for me. Quality of stitching and overall down performance long term is in question for me. I’ve used WM since the late 90s and the integrity of their products with a metric crap ton of use is wonderful.

Shit I change positions twice per hour at least.
I’m looking at a ponderosa,sequoia or ff puffin.

Last edited:
The Kuiu got an excellent review in a head-to-head against the Western Mountaineering. I think I'd go that route before a Stone Glacier.

But for that kind of money might as well buy Made in USA.

BKehoe05

FNG
So this year I purchased (2) Hyke & Byke bags. I had seen them on Amazon and then chased it down the rabbit hole until found their website and spoke with their American support staff. They make an American product that quality wise is exceptional at a reduced price. My wife who is a cold cold cold sleeper.. loved her down bag as did I. We spent way too many nights out in Idaho. When we returned my best friend reached out and wanted to know how it went. Told him we loved them. He bought a synthetic bag and his wife got a down bag. They took theirs out to Idaho on a mule deer trip and spent 10 days in theirs and they too love them. You guys should check them out. The quality is high, the price is low. I don’t know how they stack up against the big names but they are definitely worth the buy and won’t break the bank.. and I'm vertically challenged so my wife and I have short versions.. 2.9 lbs for a 0° bag so it’s light enough for darn sure

sneaky

"DADDY"
So this year I purchased (2) Hyke & Byke bags. I had seen them on Amazon and then chased it down the rabbit hole until found their website and spoke with their American support staff. They make an American product that quality wise is exceptional at a reduced price. My wife who is a cold cold cold sleeper.. loved her down bag as did I. We spent way too many nights out in Idaho. When we returned my best friend reached out and wanted to know how it went. Told him we loved them. He bought a synthetic bag and his wife got a down bag. They took theirs out to Idaho on a mule deer trip and spent 10 days in theirs and they too love them. You guys should check them out. The quality is high, the price is low. I don’t know how they stack up against the big names but they are definitely worth the buy and won’t break the bank.. and I'm vertically challenged so my wife and I have short versions.. 2.9 lbs for a 0° bag so it’s light enough for darn sure
They have US based support, but their bags aren't made in the US. They're imported bags. That's how they keep the price competitive.

jblam

Lil-Rokslider
I’m also a side sleeper and bought a sequoia after freezing my butt off one night in another bag. It’s my favorite thing to pack now if it’s gonna be cold out because I know I’ll be sleeping comfortable. A few weeks ago i did a few nights with 10 degree lows no problem. Shook the ice off the bag in the morning and off to the races!

BKehoe05

FNG
They have US based support, but their bags aren't made in the US. They're imported bags. That's how they keep the price competitive.

I was unaware. Thank you for enlightening me. I’m kinda real disappointed I didn’t know that because that was one of those selling points I bought in to.