Thinking of a new sleeping bag

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can tell you that the WM and FF ratings are pretty spot on for a normal sleeper.

If you’re looking at another manufacturer, it’s worth comparing fill weight to a near WM or FF model. If the fill weight is close (and they are using higher end down (850+), then you can be pretty sure they rating will be good to go.

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
Be doing yourself a disservice not to check out Cumulus. I've got a WM bag, have slept in FF bags, and both are excellent. What neither offers is is customization. Cumulus does, and uses the same materials as FF. You can get custom colors, pick your material, down fill amount, percentage of down fill on top and bottom of bag, size etc. Best thing is they're still less expensive than either WM or FF. I'm all for US made gear, but neither WM or FF are using domestic down. It's all imported... most of it from Poland. Just another option to consider.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

I really like the semi-rec style. I can’t find where cumulus offers that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
Taiga works out of Vancouver would be another worth looking at. I run both WM and Taiga, if I was to do it all over again I’d 100% go Taiga for both my bags. On par quality wise with WM at half the cost.

Any idea Which one would most closely mimic the roomy semi-rec bag of the puffin or sequoia?

Decker9

WKR
Any idea Which one would most closely mimic the roomy semi-rec bag of the puffin or sequoia?

They list a barrel style and mummy style, I only have experience with the mummy. The Shangri would be their barrel style with hood, without a hood would be the Scheherazade.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I really like the semi-rec style. I can’t find where cumulus offers that

The semi rectangular bags are roomy, but come at the expense of more room to heat up. Something to keep in mind

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
The semi rectangular bags are roomy, but come at the expense of more room to heat up. Something to keep in mind

Yeah, but I have too many sleepless nights as a side sleeper trying to make a normal mummy bag work. I need to make a change.

Mudd Foot

WKR
Have owned a FF Flicker, and currently running a Puffin 20° Long. Both products are fabulous.

pirogue

WKR
Feathered Friends Puffin or Western Mountaineering Sequoia? Any other similar bags worth looking at? I’m not interested in a quilt.

Thanks for the input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in

I can tell you that the WM and FF ratings are pretty spot on for a normal sleeper.

If you’re looking at another manufacturer, it’s worth comparing fill weight to a near WM or FF model. If the fill weight is close (and they are using higher end down (850+), then you can be pretty sure they rating will be good to go.
The FF site tells you they use 900+ down( which you don’t see much anymore, and you love it for compresses smaller and weighs less. I haven’t been able to find down count on WM site. Not revealing may be taken as “not proud to say”

Htm84

WKR
The FF site tells you they use 900+ down( which you don’t see much anymore, and you love it for compresses smaller and weighs less. I haven’t been able to find down count on WM site. Not revealing may be taken as “not proud to say”
They are pretty tight lipped on the subject

Attachments

• IMG_3309.jpeg
    IMG_3309.jpeg
    255.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3308.jpeg
    IMG_3308.jpeg
    192.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3307.jpeg
    IMG_3307.jpeg
    193.3 KB · Views: 51

cjdewese

WKR
As a side sleeper, it's worth at least looking at zenbivy's website. Their bed system can be very roomy without drafts.
If you are a side sleeper, I'd recommend this route. I just got my lite bed and am really excited about it. I roll a lot in my sleep and I can't get this thing tangled up. At least worth looking at if comfort is one of your top priorities.

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
If you are a side sleeper, I'd recommend this route. I just got my lite bed and am really excited about it. I roll a lot in my sleep and I can't get this thing tangled up. At least worth looking at if comfort is one of your top priorities.

I’m stubborn. 0.00 interest in anything but a sleeping bag.

nrh6.7

WKR
You should look at Valandre also. Been talked about some on RS, but WM and FF seem to be the go to bags.

They are out of France and harvest their own down and go into great length explaining the process. Link

I own two from them and the build quality is incredible. Their marketing is a bit strange, but they're French...

Htm84

WKR
I just overlooked that. Thanks for pointing it out. Having a 900+ bag, and having had others, with lower count, I’d be picking the 900+ count bag
this is on WM FAQ section. I really don’t think you can go wrong with either WM or FF. I bought a feathered friends and am super happy with it.

Attachments

• IMG_3311.png
    IMG_3311.png
    530.2 KB · Views: 30

sneaky

"DADDY"
Lol, they actually state 850+ and are open and honest about it being "at least 850 if not higher". You obviously didn't look very hard.

pirogue

WKR
Lol, they actually state 850+ and are open and honest about it being "at least 850 if not higher". You obviously didn't look very hard.

One shouldn’t have to look hard. FF states it right with the individual bag, AS SHOWN ABOVE in post. One shouldn’t have to read fine print, or Q & A (AS SHOWN ABOVE in post) to find it like WM does.