West elk wilderness success?

Hey everyone, I am getting ready for my DIY elk backpacking hunt in the west elks. I was wondering if anyone has been up there in the area yet, and if they have any input on what the elk are doing there. I am going up there on the 14th through the 28th with two other friends, planning g on packing in several miles of the trail head. Anyway, just curious if anyone had had any success or stories they want to share about the area. Thanks for reading.

Straight6

FNG
What part of the West Elk are you headed? I was just there hunting deer this past week and found quite a few elk. No bugles, but most of the cows had bulls in with them. The elk were much more active than the deer, that's for sure! I noticed quite a few wallows starting to be used in a couple canyons. Most of the elk had moved off the tops of the mountains and were down around 8,500-10,000' in elevation.

cormech

FNG
I was in mill basin and the castles till my hunting partner twisted his knee bad. Saw a lot of deer and the couple of bull we saw were grouped up with cows and slowly moving down and east. Most hunters were up high and we're pushing the elk down. Ran into more deer hunters then elk hunters and they were quite helpful in locating elk. If my buddies knee would have held out we both could have gotten a chance at at least one stalk.

OP
D
That's unfortunate about your buddies knee. I hope he is doing ok, and thanks for the reply. Hopefully we can get in and spot some elk before the start hiding too much.

I am hunting in there this week and hunted last week. Not a lot of talking yet. They are a little but all the bulls we have seen so far have been by themselves. We are hunting up soap creek.

We were in 5.5 miles but ended up finding elk a lot closer to the road.

Good luck. I will let you know how we do on the 13th. That's when we are coming back out.

I just got back from 54 and was on the northern border with 53.

Heard a lot of bugles at night, but mainly quiet during the day. Saw a fair number of elk in the basin, but the big boys were up higher.

A good rain and a cold front got them screaming one evening which was nice. I made a bad shot on a decent 5x5, and saw some nice bulls, but the terrain is just too demanding even for a 28 year old in excellent shape!!!

smj281

FNG
I am headed there in two weeks and we were planning to take mill basin to the castles. Is it easy to enter from 730?