Well Kansas is trying to do some dumb stuff

Thess87

WKR
Doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me but for those that live here please call. Don’t just cross your fingers and hope it doesn’t pass. Speak up!!237415D5-F5CB-4AFB-B683-DE166D155F6E.jpegFE29E3B4-8352-42FE-A74A-48F876143664.jpeg2B8B16E5-38BC-4CA4-A7B9-BF73C7B88A45.jpeg

do they think the populations are accelerating too quickly now? I remember whitetail being everywhere in the mid 2000’s in western Kansas.

@Thess87 just curious what your opposition to this is? Just reading it here, I don't like the piece about what seems to be an additional week tacked on to the front of rifle season (still not as bad as NE or SD with rifle during the rut), but the permit piece I don't see how that is really a negative to anything other than revenue for the dept. # of lifetime license holders to total hunting population has to be minimal.

Obviously my opinion here is based solely on the info above, and I may not be seeing the whole picture.

WKR
My place has a ton of rut activity at Thanksgiving. Not a great plan really.

do they think the populations are accelerating too quickly now? I remember whitetail being everywhere in the mid 2000’s in western Kansas.
Whitetail populations were very high 10-15 years ago, but they have dramatically decreased. This isn't just my observation, but from many others as well as KDWPT officials who have noted about a 50% decrease in our whitetail herd.

Total CRP acres in most midwestern states peaked out around 2002-2005. In most of those states, CRP acres have decreased by 2/3. At the same time, most of the trees planted as part of the great plains shelter belt have all died. Most of those shelter belts were pulled over the last decade and not restored - both on CRP and land already in production. It would be a guess, but between CRP and shelter belts removed, I would guess some midwestern states have lost 75% of habitat over the last 15-20 years.

At least in the upper Midwest where cover is necessary, deer population peaks and crashes have coupled very closely with this increase and subsequent loss of CRP and shelter belt habitat. I think ND went from over 150,000 tags around 2006 to about 64,000 this year.

Hunter26

Lil-Rokslider
Whitetail populations were very high 10-15 years ago, but they have dramatically decreased. This isn't just my observation, but from many others as well as KDWPT officials who have noted about a 50% decrease in our whitetail herd.
I know I have personally seen a decrease in white-tail numbers in the last handful of years in western KS. Just a personal observation. That said the mule deer numbers seem to be fairly strong where I hunt.

OP
Thess87

Thess87

WKR
I don’t really think giving the option for two buck tags is going to help anything. I’m sure the numbers of lifetime license holders is low but they will triple if people can get 2 buck tags without a doubt tons of people will buy a lifetime license

I also understand that even if all this passes it wouldn’t be as bad as some other states but I don’t really look at stuff like- well it doesn’t suck as bad so it’s ok- I’m more of the if you have something good protect what you have.

Yeah I wouldn’t ever want rifle season to be longer really. But the week before and after thanksgiving around my parts is when the biggest bucks are killed. Let alone if you opened it to rifle at that time.

jbach50

FNG
Total CRP acres in most midwestern states peaked out around 2002-2005. In most of those states, CRP acres have decreased by 2/3. At the same time, most of the trees planted as part of the great plains shelter belt have all died. Most of those shelter belts were pulled over the last decade and not restored - both on CRP and land already in production. It would be a guess, but between CRP and shelter belts removed, I would guess some midwestern states have lost 75% of habitat over the last 15-20 years.

At least in the upper Midwest where cover is necessary, deer population peaks and crashes have coupled very closely with this increase and subsequent loss of CRP and shelter belt habitat. I think ND went from over 150,000 tags around 2006 to about 64,000 this year.
I agree. The early 2000s were banner years in those states for most species, obviously due to good habitat. The amount of cover that I've seen put back into crop production in N.D. is astonishing.

I've hunted Kansas archery and rifle seasons the last 30 years. These changes will hurt the deer herd and certainly the buck quality where I hunt.

Cinchy52

FNG
So as a senior with a Kansas SR Lifetime Combo Hunt/Fish permit will I be able to get 2 buck tags with it?
Personally I don`t see this being any worse that letting hunters use cross bows in regular archery season! Few years ago you had to be handicapped to use a cross bow! I have been shocked at the number of people I know who put down their rifles & took up a crossbow so they could hunt the rut!

Wow!!! I remember putting in for draw with "buddy" just to get a better chance to draw a tag in Ks.
I am probably going to get flamed here, but I always thought it would be a good idea to have out of state hunters draw a "said number" of doe tags before they could draw a guaranteed buck tag here in Kansas just to help with the deer population.

Well if the habitat in Kansas is diminishing, and there is clear cut evidence of populations doing the same, why would legislators want to make it even harder for the species to propogate. Is there a link to rapid spread of CWD when populations start to balloon or something to the likes that could be driving this push?

Does KS usually let the legislature determine seasons and license numbers?
Or is that something that is/should be determined by the biologists or a commission advised by biologists?

As much as I hate the administrative branch making laws, having legislative dig into administrative jobs is at least as stinky.