Weight training programs

Hofhunter

Lil-Rokslider
What are some of the training programs you guys have liked?

Looking for one to do at home in my home gym along with heavy pack hiking.

Honestly P90X is still a great program to utilize for hunters. I usually do some sort of bastardized version at the gym to this day

Depends on your goals like Chris said, but "Starting Strength" is pretty much the gold standard for beginning barbell strength training, which is what I assume you have at your home gym.

180ls1

WKR
The best program is the one you can stick to. They all incorporate progressive overload (more weight, sets, reps, frequency) which is what drives progress.

Starting strength is great along with 5/3/1 or even a local crossfit gym to learn movements.

dtrkyman

WKR
I watch Athlean x a bit on youtube, I don't follow his programs but I like how he brakes down particular lifts.

Consistency is key, once I get rolling I have to go every day.

Mtntough has been pretty legit. They’ve got a ton of programs from people just getting started with body weight, to full gym workouts for every season of the year based around hunting in the fall. Have kettlebell and rucking programs as well. The app is awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD Jones

WKR
I’m doing a 6 day power building split for a second time around but I also run to keep my cardiovascular in shape. I’ve scaled back to 10mile weeks due to minor injuries but this combo plus a clean-ish diet keep me in really good shape with plenty of strength come September.

Suggest Jeff Nipard for some education on macros but there’s definitely other resources available that are probably good too

I do a 4 day split push/ pull weight lifting program. It worked great for me in college playing football and I just toned it down a notch for my new NARP (non athletic regular person) life. Also sprinkle in some kettlebell workouts a well. Every once and a while I'll do a month of just kettlebells to break things up. I feel the best I've ever felt in my life. Also font forget to stretch. Especially your hips.

I’m a big fan of the Mountain Tactical programming. Probably an overwhelming amount of options on their website, but if you email Rob with a description of where you are fitness wise and what you’re trying to accomplish he’s pretty good about steering you in the right direction.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Develop your own. Understand the energy systems. The difference between muscle hypertrophy, strength, endurance, and periodization designed to target each.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
In addition to Starting Strength, check out Wendler. Concentration is on deadlifts, squats, bench and overhead press (with some accessory work).

He’s big on starting a little on the light side, concentrating on form. Progresses slowly (but steadily) and includes rest days and deload weeks.

I told a buddy of mine who hadn’t lifted in years to check out Wendler He’s now got three month cycles under his belt and has been really happy with the progress.

Dogone

FNG
I have started carrying a crowbar while cross country hiking. It weighs 16 lbs. Now when I carry a rifle at less than 10 lbs it feels like a feather. There is probably some commercial replacement for the crowbar but probably has a fancy name and sells for $200.00 plus.😀