Programs like MTN tough vs hiking with heavy packs

Elite

WKR
I am generally curious if anyone has real world experience with programs like MTN tough and some CrossFit training. I hunt sheep every year in the mountains and hike hard for elk. I have always just put 50 pounds in my pack and hiked around town/hills/foot ball bleachers and jogged lots months before the hunting season started. So essentially I have never went sheep hurting with out some training and never feel like I am terribly out of shape while in the hills. Usually hunt solo so nothing to compare to other people. Wouldn't mind getting to the next level of fitness though. So has anyone seen a huge increase of performance from programs like these vs hiking with weight? I started the free trial of MTN tough recently and my legs are sore the following days so maybe there is a lot of strength to be gained...

InDeep

WKR
I use MTN tough and have a CrossFit past . I ca say without a doubt MTN tough is worth it . But hiking is also important. If you follow the preseason WO. They will have you hiking on and after week 3

pcassada

Lil-Rokslider
I have a similar background to InDeep. Love MTN Tough. Challenging workouts, but also think the mental toughness aspect that they build on is key too.

Echo

FNG
The 45-70 program is great for progressive strength using a weighted back and incorporates a lot of hiking an rucking.

nesqymatt

FNG
I was out of commission for awhile but started the MTN TOUGH On Ramp program to get my fitness back. Before I got hurt, I was doing one of the programs through them that had you do a ruck for the 5th day workout of the week.

Having that mix of training and rucking was perfect for keeping me in shape. And, it helped with my initial recovery after I got hurt.

YouTube, poor nutrition and an otherwise sedentary recovery put me way back. Now im on my way back, albeit slowly with the On Ramp and light rucking on the weekends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joelski

FNG
+1 to MTNTOUGH being legit, I've done several of their programs throughout the past couple of years and haven't found anything as comprehensive and effective, especially for no gear/low gear workouts. Lot's of emphasis on rucking and functional movements, can't recommend them enough.

Churro

FNG
Can’t simulate altitude where I live so just rucking in my boots with a full pack has been fine for me so far.

Whichever one will motivate you to actually get out there is the right answer though

tntrker

WKR
I'm doing the mtntough now and just came from 10 months of Crossfit. Crossfit was good but very little time in spot training a muscle group, then it tries to kill you in a 20 mins with a mix of fast movements. Mtntough is tough, I like.. also hit the trail with a pack on weekends. Nothing prepairs you for a pack and a hike like a pack and a hike..

WDO

FNG
I've done multiple programs. MTN Tough(30-30 and 45-70), Soflete, Mtn Tactical, etc.

I would say yes the MTN tough is a solid program, and covers a lot of what is needed. Leg strength, base cardio, movements that assist in building strength and assist in injury prevention.

That said, I would add more rucking/hiking as the season nears. Not a crazy amount to where over use injuries come into play, but no gym work I've ever done(including hiking on a treadmill or stairmaster with a pack) has ever replicated the constant leg tension, foot muscle movement under various terrain, and mid-to-high zone 2 level cardio as actually hiking on rough trail or cross country at a moderate grade and pace.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
I'm gonna throw a little different angle at you. I have been working out consistently for over 4 years now. I did a lot of high intensity workouts and seemed to have good results the first couple years. The last two years I just seemed like I was constantly getting annoying little injuries and my energy was way off.

I found the Mind Pump podcast earlier this year and switched to their workouts plus going on rucks with light weight on my off days. I feel much better, have more energy, and when I step on my smart scale my muscle mass is trending up again and bodyfat is trending down. They talk a lot about overtraining and overuse injuries, which I am convinced was happening to me. I enjoy my workouts more, I look forward to going on my ruck days. And most important I feel great when I play sports with my kids instead of just being wore out.

I'll ramp up my intensity a few weeks before hunting trips and I should be good to go.

I’d rather just carry a pack with the items I planned to carry on a hunt than do a bunch of movements that I wasn’t actually going to do in the backcountry and risk getting hurt. I am more into simplicity than anything else.