Weekely Training Hikes Started in Fort Collins, CO Area

Ranger04

FNG
We have started a weekly training hike at Horsetooth Mountain Park. We meet at the Soderberg Trailhead on Tuesdays at 4:30pm. We hike the Towers Trail which is 7.44 miles round trip and 1,980' in elevation gain. Open to anyone. This is a great opportunity to get in shape, meet other hunters and try different packs.

Feel free to contact me with any questions. Mark (970)481-4120.

Jaker_cc

WKR
I wish there was something like this down here. I feel like not being able to get out and actually hike at altitude is affecting my ability to hunt at my potential.

OP
Ranger04

Ranger04

FNG
Trails were closed today due to muddy conditions. We will be back on the trail next week.

Boman, hopefully you can join us some week.

When I went to college in Ft. Collins, I always liked the Grey Rock Mt. hike. That would make a good trainer. Starts low and ends kinda high. Good afternoon and back in town for a brew with dinner. For a weekend training hike, get a back country permit for Rocky Mtn NP and start at Pingree Park and hike through Stormy Peaks pass and down to Lost Lake. Camp there and hike back. You will go from 9000ft to 11,000 twice on a round trip.

OP
Ranger04

Ranger04

FNG
Thanks OkieElkhunter. We are fortunate to have great training hikes in a short driving distance. I'll try the Lost Lake this summer. Indian Peaks Wilderness has some good over night hikes and the fishing is great.

This week we will meet at the Soderberg trailhead kiosk at 4:30pm. I picked up my new Timberline 1 with the Hunter Duplex frame on Friday. I'm looking forward to testing it on Tuesday. Anyone who shows up is welcome to try it out.

lcneo2112

FNG
I got a feeling the trails will be shut down. Where did you find their status information?