Weebie jeebies

The more you do it the less it’ll bother you. The most fool proof way is absolutely smoke yourself during the day so when you lay down at night you sleep like the dead. I’m not in the earplug camp since usually in bear country and had bears wake me up in camp 2-3 times.
Listening to trees snap and fall in the wind bothers me more than anything.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
After falling and breaking my leg and having to have surgery to repair it. My wife ain’t letting me venture out solo for a bit. Considering I’m still healing and only about 3 months out of surgery

Northpark

WKR
I get it. Sleeping outside at night used to bother me. Just did it a lot for work and play and now most of the time I’m fine with it. Once in awhile though something will still bug me. For example in august I went bear hunting one night and intended to hunt this big canyon 45 minutes from the house. I got uneasy as soon as I got into that canyon for no particular reason and the feeling just got stronger. I had fully intended to sleep next to my truck and hunt the next morning but I’ll be honest I got out of there before it got dark. Something just felt very wrong. I’ve slept out I the woods since then but that one night I did not.

hunterjmj

WKR
I sleep like a log anywhere not sure why but noises have never bothered me. I whitetail hunted from a tree stand in Nebraska while going to school and had to walk a couple hundred yards through a corn field in the dark to get to my stand. That really freaks me out. Giant corn spiders, aliens and children of the corn was all I could think of.
I'll hike, sleep or whatever here in Montana and it doesn't bother me but corn freaks me out.

TX_Diver

WKR
Something that I’ve always thought about when sleeping around timber is all of the deadfall everywhere. Statistically, we probably have a better chance of trees falling on us while sleeping than being eaten by rabid wolves, bears, or lions. But I guess when it’s your time, it’s your time.

Had a big tree come down after 12 hours of heavy rain about 100 yards from camp around 4:30AM while we were eating breakfast in the tent a few years back. The 5 seconds of crashing noises and rolling noises coming down the hill after the initial snap scared all of us pretty good.

Had a big tree come down after 12 hours of heavy rain about 100 yards from camp around 4:30AM while we were eating breakfast in the tent a few years back. The 5 seconds of crashing noises and rolling noises coming down the hill after the initial snap scared all of us pretty good.
There have been a few children killed by trees this year near me (SMNP). I’ve been scared a few times hunting in CO and WY wind storms. I usually try hunkering down next to some large rocks or large stumps. I’m not sure what the best option actually is when trees start falling over. I was also at 12k feet in CO this year when lightning hit a tree. It literally blew the tree chunks everywhere. There were chunks up to a 100 yards away. It was as if an artillery round hit the tree.

My kids call them the 'habba jabbas.' I'll never correct them because it's too cute.

I think the best thing you can do it just go more often and the irrational fears will subside.

A few years ago on a hunt in grizzly country I eventually got so tired from not sleeping I told myself I didn't care if I got chewed on anymore and got great sleep.