Weatherby vanguard s2 stock

Has anyone upgraded their vanguard s2 stocks? What stocks would you recommend? I pretty much only know of stockys or Boyd’s.

Or have you glass bedded in the factory griptonite stock. I have read conflicting things about glass bedding and free floating the barrels of these rifles. Is it worth attempting?

Shooter Mike

Lil-Rokslider
I switched out mine for an Oryx chassis. I thought about a wood stock, because I like the look better, but I didn’t want to hassle with bedding. The chassis just seemed like an easier option to accomplish the same end result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bugger

FNG
I put a B&C Monte Carlo on mine when they first came out probably 10 years ago, I’d trade it for a VG2 in a heartbeat though.

sndmn11

WKR
Did you just drop the action in and roll with it? Or did you also bed it? Just curious

I shot both rifles ~150-200 times in the Stockys without bedding. I was bedding another rifle and had the compound and time, so I bedded both in the stockys. No change in group size.

The v block configuration they have is perfect for the Vanguard/Howa wedge recoil lug.

One of the rifles was a Wilderness and had a factory Bell and Carlson stock. I just remembered that my dad has a BC stock on his vanguard and the results are equally "fine".

The bravo chassis is not bedded, I am unsure if that's possible, but, !surprise! it also shoots fine.

I feel much more comfortable with the stockys flat comb and vertical grip. I think recoil is controlled better than the typical Weatherby style. @KickinNDishin likes that chassis a lot and has it adjusted to her which she couldn't accomplish with the stockys.

I have the VG2 versionhttps://stockysstocks.com/nextgen-ultralite-carbon-fiber-vg2-howa-1500-weatherby-vanguard-stocks/

But would probably have preferred the VG. The difference is that the VG has a rounder forearm that is shorter and has one swivel stud. It also has a thinner limbsaver pad. We have a Tikka VG, and I like the rounder foreend.

Peak44 has stocks that are interesting but I don't know anything about them in regards to bedding necessity or how that tapered recoil lug is locked. The product video on that page seems to show a typical r700 inlet.

After reading the Tikka thread I recently put a VG hunter from Stockys on my Vanguard and have nothing but good things to say about it over the factory stock after the first 200 or so rounds with it. Not completely sure if the stock improved accuracy or if the fit makes me shoot the rifle better but I did notice some improvement in my groups. I agree with sndmn about the vertical grip and comb, had not owned one prior but like how I can see the target in recoil.

WW2 Buff

FNG
Rokstok, McMillan, Peak 44, Bell & Carlson sporter and HS Precision. Stay away from the Bell & Carlson Weatherby style as it has horrible ergos.

OP
Bcoonce117
I shot both rifles ~150-200 times in the Stockys without bedding. I was bedding another rifle and had the compound and time, so I bedded both in the stockys. No change in group size.

The v block configuration they have is perfect for the Vanguard/Howa wedge recoil lug.

One of the rifles was a Wilderness and had a factory Bell and Carlson stock. I just remembered that my dad has a BC stock on his vanguard and the results are equally "fine".

The bravo chassis is not bedded, I am unsure if that's possible, but, !surprise! it also shoots fine.

I feel much more comfortable with the stockys flat comb and vertical grip. I think recoil is controlled better than the typical Weatherby style. @KickinNDishin likes that chassis a lot and has it adjusted to her which she couldn't accomplish with the stockys.

I have the VG2 versionhttps://stockysstocks.com/nextgen-ultralite-carbon-fiber-vg2-howa-1500-weatherby-vanguard-stocks/

But would probably have preferred the VG. The difference is that the VG has a rounder forearm that is shorter and has one swivel stud. It also has a thinner limbsaver pad. We have a Tikka VG, and I like the rounder foreend.

Peak44 has stocks that are interesting but I don't know anything about them in regards to bedding necessity or how that tapered recoil lug is locked. The product video on that page seems to show a typical r700 inlet.
This exactly the information I was looking for so I appreciate your post.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
For a long time, even the factory weatherby rifles that had added features had bell and Carlson stocks.

I had a mark 5 ultra lightweight and it had a crappy bell and Carlson stock on it.

RogerNH

FNG
I put a Bell & Carlson stock on my Vanguard S2 .30-06

Much better than the factory Weatherby stock. I ground down the tabs in the barrel channel and opened the channel more to free float the barrel. It's a tack driver. It wasn't an expensive rifle so I didn't want to put an expensive stock on it. It's basically a backup/loaner/boat paddle.

OP
Bcoonce117
So my vanguard is a 7mm rem mag and it’s basically a one holer for about 3 shots. Once barrel heats up it starts to open up. It’s my favorite gun to hunt with so I figure I should treat myself annd swap the stock to something better. Also don’t want to increase the weight any more. These Howa/ weatherby actions are on the heavier side.

I’m leaning towards a stockys vg2 but would like to get one on sale. I paid 499 for the gun. So $600 for a stock is just hard for me lol. The bell and carlson have about 50% of people calling them junk and the other 50% saying they are great. They are probably my second option because cheaper than the stockys. Stockys just seems extremely comfortable. Also there seems to be less options for long action stocks than there are short action stocks

sndmn11

WKR
I’m leaning towards a stockys vg2 but would like to get one on sale.comfortable. Also there seems to be less options for long action stocks than there are short action stocks
Call Kim @Stockys and see if there are any blems available. That is how I have ordered all of ours.

Do you believe that the rifle will shoot better for 5+ shot groups in a new stock?

OP
Bcoonce117
Absolutely not. I have a thin barrel. I’m just looking for repeatability when I disassemble. I know your poi can change if you remove stock and put it back on being that my action isn’t bedded. And the other thing is I’m looking for something really comfortable. The weatherby stock isn’t bad but it’s not the best

sndmn11

WKR
Absolutely not. I have a thin barrel. I’m just looking for repeatability when I disassemble. I know your poi can change if you remove stock and put it back on being that my action isn’t bedded. And the other thing is I’m looking for something really comfortable. The weatherby stock isn’t bad but it’s not the best
There's a good chance that the foreend pressure point is causing the groups to open up. If you want to test that, sand down that pressure point.

I don't think that you can expect to retain zero if you pop the action out of the stock and then bolt it back in. It should be very close though.

I've considered many times putting an aftermarket stock on my Vanguard High country but damn their so expensive! I just don't see it being worth it for me.

Sent from my SM-S921U using Tapatalk

OP
Bcoonce117
There's a good chance that the foreend pressure point is causing the groups to open up. If you want to test that, sand down that pressure point.

I don't think that you can expect to retain zero if you pop the action out of the stock and then bolt it back in. It should be very close though.
Which is weird considering weatherby says the barrel is supposed to have pressure.