Weatherby vanguard s2 stock

Has anyone upgraded their vanguard s2 stocks? What stocks would you recommend? I pretty much only know of stockys or Boyd’s.

Or have you glass bedded in the factory griptonite stock. I have read conflicting things about glass bedding and free floating the barrels of these rifles. Is it worth attempting?

Shooter Mike

Lil-Rokslider
I switched out mine for an Oryx chassis. I thought about a wood stock, because I like the look better, but I didn’t want to hassle with bedding. The chassis just seemed like an easier option to accomplish the same end result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bugger

FNG
I put a B&C Monte Carlo on mine when they first came out probably 10 years ago, I’d trade it for a VG2 in a heartbeat though.

sndmn11

WKR
Did you just drop the action in and roll with it? Or did you also bed it? Just curious

I shot both rifles ~150-200 times in the Stockys without bedding. I was bedding another rifle and had the compound and time, so I bedded both in the stockys. No change in group size.

The v block configuration they have is perfect for the Vanguard/Howa wedge recoil lug.

One of the rifles was a Wilderness and had a factory Bell and Carlson stock. I just remembered that my dad has a BC stock on his vanguard and the results are equally "fine".

The bravo chassis is not bedded, I am unsure if that's possible, but, !surprise! it also shoots fine.

I feel much more comfortable with the stockys flat comb and vertical grip. I think recoil is controlled better than the typical Weatherby style. @KickinNDishin likes that chassis a lot and has it adjusted to her which she couldn't accomplish with the stockys.

I have the VG2 versionhttps://stockysstocks.com/nextgen-ultralite-carbon-fiber-vg2-howa-1500-weatherby-vanguard-stocks/

But would probably have preferred the VG. The difference is that the VG has a rounder forearm that is shorter and has one swivel stud. It also has a thinner limbsaver pad. We have a Tikka VG, and I like the rounder foreend.

Peak44 has stocks that are interesting but I don't know anything about them in regards to bedding necessity or how that tapered recoil lug is locked. The product video on that page seems to show a typical r700 inlet.

After reading the Tikka thread I recently put a VG hunter from Stockys on my Vanguard and have nothing but good things to say about it over the factory stock after the first 200 or so rounds with it. Not completely sure if the stock improved accuracy or if the fit makes me shoot the rifle better but I did notice some improvement in my groups. I agree with sndmn about the vertical grip and comb, had not owned one prior but like how I can see the target in recoil.

OP
Bcoonce117
I shot both rifles ~150-200 times in the Stockys without bedding. I was bedding another rifle and had the compound and time, so I bedded both in the stockys. No change in group size.

The v block configuration they have is perfect for the Vanguard/Howa wedge recoil lug.

One of the rifles was a Wilderness and had a factory Bell and Carlson stock. I just remembered that my dad has a BC stock on his vanguard and the results are equally "fine".

The bravo chassis is not bedded, I am unsure if that's possible, but, !surprise! it also shoots fine.

I feel much more comfortable with the stockys flat comb and vertical grip. I think recoil is controlled better than the typical Weatherby style. @KickinNDishin likes that chassis a lot and has it adjusted to her which she couldn't accomplish with the stockys.

I have the VG2 versionhttps://stockysstocks.com/nextgen-ultralite-carbon-fiber-vg2-howa-1500-weatherby-vanguard-stocks/

But would probably have preferred the VG. The difference is that the VG has a rounder forearm that is shorter and has one swivel stud. It also has a thinner limbsaver pad. We have a Tikka VG, and I like the rounder foreend.

Peak44 has stocks that are interesting but I don't know anything about them in regards to bedding necessity or how that tapered recoil lug is locked. The product video on that page seems to show a typical r700 inlet.
This exactly the information I was looking for so I appreciate your post.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
For a long time, even the factory weatherby rifles that had added features had bell and Carlson stocks.

I had a mark 5 ultra lightweight and it had a crappy bell and Carlson stock on it.