Weapons Soap Box Thread

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Ok Roksliders,

Let's keep it civil.

Quite often here, and much worse elsewhere, people will post comments about their weapon of choice, and how it is a more rightous way to hunt game. This is the thread to give your opinion.

I will start:

I enjoy using all types of weapons, and have respect for trappers and fisherman of all types too. I like setting up and shooting my bow. I enjoy handloading and working on marksmanship with my rifles. I appreciate the complexities and dedication to both. I enjoy stalks that end close, and those that end further away.

I think it is counterproductive to hunting to make comments that belittle the weapons choice of others. This goes for bowhunters that put down rifle hunters for it being "too easy." It also goes for rifle hunters that say bowhunters wound too much game.

I do like seasons that are separated by weapon choice, because it changes the experience, and I like the experiences of them differently.

Hunting at its roots is a personal quest, and if someone is happy with the method they use, and finds other methods too risky or too easy, they should stick with what they like. I don't think they should belittle others about it, or minimize the efforts of others. If you feel superior to others because of your weapon choice, so be it, but leave them to be satisfied with what they use.

Humans are naturally competitive, but I think hunters need to stick together regardless of weapon choice.

What do you think?

dryflyguy

Lil-Rokslider
Ok Roksliders,

I think it is counterproductive to hunting to make comments that belittle the weapons choice of others. This goes for bowhunters that put down rifle hunters for it being "too easy." It also goes for rifle hunters that say bowhunters wound too much game.

I do like seasons that are separated by weapon choice, because it changes the experience, and I like the experiences of them differently.

Hunting at its roots is a personal quest, and if someone is happy with the method they use, and finds other methods too risky or too easy, they should stick with what they like. I don't think they should belittle others about it, or minimize the efforts of others. If you feel superior to others because of your weapon choice, so be it, but leave them to be satisfied with what they use.

Humans are naturally competitive, but I think hunters need to stick together regardless of weapon choice.

What do you think?

I think like you do.

littlebuf

Banned
ill hunt with what ever I can get a tag for. and im proficient with all of them. ive killed with bow, rifle and muzzle loader. why not? that being said there are certain stereotypes that fit better with certain weapon groups and the more casual and often less respectable hunters tend to hunt rifle seasons. not that all rifle hunters are this way but most hunters that have a bad rep are rifle hunters. that also being said most major poachers (talking serial type) ive found do it with a bow. these are just my observations but im ready to be flamed if need be, I have after all committed the sin of expressing my opinion on line just now. there's lots of reasons guys get on there sop boxes, but most of them are due to internet forums rather than actual hunting experiences. at least now a days they are. I don't think one weapons any better than the other ,all seasons however are not created equal. that has more to do with my weapon choice than any purest ideology

luke moffat

Super Moderator
100% Matt. Honestly though I only bow hunt for the most part cause it gives me longer seasons and better draw odds and my personal history has shown I'm better at filling the freezer with a rifle than a bow, but thats most likely cause I haul a rifle along more and I'm not the "sneaky". :D

I enjoy handloading and shooting my bow both as well. I would not consider me a long range hunter as 400 yards is where I pass up shots at or even closer depending on conditions. I have much respect for those that take the time to shoot rifles long range 600+ yards or their bow out to 100+ yards, but don't wanna put in the time to become profcient with either. So I stay sub 60 on the bow and sub 400 on the rifle. Again nothing wrong with those that put in the time to become proficient further, just not my focus.

Great thread Matt!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
It's easy on the web to bash a guy's weapon choice as you don't have to face him and that is why we see it so much.

I'm with Matt, and weapon choices are very personal. Good for the guy who goes traditional archery but that doesn't make him a worse or better hunter than the 30-378 guy shooting elk at 600+.

There just aren't enough of us to fight amongst ourselves and maintain a unified voice in the non-hunting world who will ultimately decide the fate of hunting.

Buckman

WKR
I think people evolve as hunters, I know I have. I think many evolve with the weapons they use also. I think I should just shut up and agree with BB. Well said BB.

There just aren't enough of us to fight amongst ourselves and maintain a unified voice in the non-hunting world who will ultimately decide the fate of hunting.

I agree with this 100% and I would add this goes the same toward the guys who trap, bait and run hounds. Really gets me going when I hear a hunter bashing a houndsman.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Never really understood the hunting snobs. Killed my biggest deer and elk with a stick bow. But would of felt just as good about it with my 300 RUM! I would hunt with a toothpick if it extended my HUNTING season. If its legal and fair chase, I'm good with it.

shaun

WKR
I hunt both ways do a lot of hand loading shooting (archery and fire arm) I feel I am more proficient with a bow and my freezer shows that but I am out with a rifle just as much. It chaps my ... When I see hunters bashing other hunters about weapon choice it's not like hunters as a whole don't get bashed enough by non hunters. I feel we are all out there for the same thing and that is what makes it special and something we all need to stick together for wether it's hunting with bow muzzleloader rifle etc. just my $.02

Hardstalk

WKR
Played with all. Muzzleloader is a blast. You get one shot and practice is vital! Killed an elk at 860 yards with a 300 ultra mag. Killed several animals last season with my compound bow. You couldn't have said it better BB. Some have challenges greater and worse than the other. At the end of the day no bias here. As long as blood is shed, adrenaline is pumping and table fare is a plenty I love it! Bring on the civil debates. Key word CIVIL. leave the macho man for the wrestling ring. We can all learn a thing or two from any weapon of choice. When im done playing and learning ill be covered in dirt. Until then my mind is wide open.

Just keep "special" seasons for "special" weapons. Stop trying to water them down with more and more crap thats designed to make it easier and easier.

Keep the anything goes stuff in gun season.

Otherwise I dont give a rats ass what you choose to hunt with. You shoot a big game animal with a gun, youll know you cheated! :D

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just keep "special" seasons for "special" weapons. Stop trying to water them down with more and more crap thats designed to make it easier and easier.

Keep the anything goes stuff in gun season.

Otherwise I dont give a rats ass what you choose to hunt with. You shoot a big game animal with a gun, youll know you cheated! :D

Really?

crumy

WKR
I think no matter what you use we should stick together. I know a guy who uses a crossbow now, used to be a wicked shot but just got to where he couldn't pull back a bow anymore. The man has killed more deer than I have seen. Just because he uses a crossbow doesn't mean his hunting experience is less than mine. Now a little jabbing amongst hunting buddies is cool. As long as they really know them. This online world of chest pounding gets pretty old and why I only visit 2 forums on a regular basis.

Bighorse

WKR
I'll be hunting with both rifle and bow this year. I'm looking forward to each hunt for different reasons. On one hand the rifle hunt will be making meat. Yup, I'll get all warm and fuzzy enjoying AK scenery but it's all about the steaks baby! Then after all the obligations are done and the children and wife have food it's time to play. I'll be hunting my Roosevelt Elk tag with a bow. No back up rifle for this hunt it's a special season permit.
I haven't archery hunted much. The thought of a late evening archery deer, goat, elk, sheep....whatever on a misty rainy mountain in grizzly country doesn't even appeal to me at all. I love a boom flop when there is work to be done. There are no close trail heads and lodges up here. Your out in the boonies and there isn't time for BS. Not to mention having a handy firearm for personal protection is important.
I prefer rifle hunts for their utility. Bow hunts are very pleasurable for the experience.

Jon Boy

WKR
Ive hunted with rifle, muzzleloader and bow and killed with all three. I absolutely love hunting with all three and couldnt pick a favorite at all. The different seasons and different experiences special to me.

dotman

WKR
Actually this is one of the few forums I have seen little bashing on thus front, I must of missed something and if it was deleted then good job because there is no place for it. We all hunt, the end. I bow hunt but I started with a rifle and recently picked one up. It's all good as long as it is done ethically and within the persons limits no matter the tool.