WDFW Screwed Up Special Hunt Draw

Anyone gain or lose a tag because of this?? Hearing a lot of people had unit/season changes, and one guy may have lost his early archery desert unit muley tag he finally drew after almost 30 years....

You are receiving this message because this email address is associated with an account that applied for a 2024-2025 Washington Special Hunt Permit.

Your special hunt permit application results may have changed. Please read this email carefully for important updates.

Hello Washington hunter,
The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) conducted the special hunt permit draw for the 2024-25 hunting season on June 12. On June 27, WDFW was made aware that the third-party vendor software used to conduct the draw did not correctly allocate hunt choices in many special hunt categories due to a coding error. This error caused the software to incorrectly allocate hunt choices for special permits in some instances.

The software properly ranked drawn hunt applicants but, in some instances, improperly assigned hunt choices. Some hunt applicants were assigned the wrong special hunt permit, some hunt applicants were not assigned a special hunt permit when they should have been drawn (i.e., shown as “not selected”), and some hunt applicants were assigned a special hunt permit (i.e., shown as “selected”) when they should not have been drawn.

We understand the unfortunate impact this error caused and the tremendous amount of time and effort that goes into planning after being selected for a permit. Here’s what we are doing to try and make it right:

WDFW is not re-doing the special hunt permit draw. The original draw on June 12 developed a correctly ranked list of hunt applicants to assign available hunt choices based on tag availability. However, because the allocation of permits was incorrect due to a software error, WDFW is re-allocating special hunt choices to correct the mistake.

Different hunters may be impacted in different ways:
  • The majority of 2024 special hunt permit applications’ draw results did not change after correcting this error.
  • Some applicants may have been assigned one hunt choice at the time of the initial draw and have now been assigned a different hunt choice after we corrected this mistake. In some of these cases, the applicant is awarded a more preferred hunt choice based on what they indicated in their application, and others might have received a less preferred, but correct hunt choice based on the allocation of available permits.
  • There were 723 hunt applicants not initially selected in the June 12 draw that should have been selected. These hunt applicants were issued the special hunt permit that they should have originally been drawn for.
  • There were 738 hunt applicants who were incorrectly selected and told by WDFW that they received a special permit after the June 12 draw. WDFW worked hard to secure hunting opportunities for these individuals by increasing the number of permits, where biologically feasible, to allow those hunt applicants incorrectly awarded a permit with the ability to continue to hunt. However, in these circumstances the hunt choice may have changed.

Hunters should check their licensing profile for updates to their special hunt permit draw results, including changes in your awarded hunt choice. Additional emails and phone calls will be sent to special permit recipients who 1) were not initially selected in the June 12 draw and should have been, and 2) were incorrectly told that they received a special permit in the June 12 draws.

WDFW and the software vendor are sending postcards to all special hunt permit applicants to encourage them to check their licensing profile for updates.

Applicants can find more information, including Frequently Asked Questions and a video explanation of the software error, on WDFW’s website.

As hard as it is to implement these corrections, we know that the hunting community expects and deserves an accurate draw that operates within the stated rules that we’ve indicated. The Department is working diligently with the software vendor to ensure that this never happens again. We have also investigated past years’ data and there is no evidence this error has occurred in the past.

We know this situation is frustrating and confusing, and we’re here to help. For questions not answered through your licensing profile or on our website, please contact the Department’s Licensing division for assistance (360-902-2464, [email protected]).

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I got the same email today but nothing changed in my account. Still 20+ "NOT SELECTED". I was hoping for a miracle.

Clark33

WKR
I cannot stand this state. I have 25pts for quality deer, and all the OIL hunts. A redraw would be nice since it sounds like they royally F’d this year up.

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
Still have my goat tag, just went to the adjacent unit. This State is messed up to say the least.

hikenhunt

WKR
No changes for me, still not selected. I thought I read that their procedures check for this sort of thing. Its one of the reasons the draw results take so long.

Wrench

WKR
My son lost the Silver Dollar bull tag.

I have only drawn one bull tag in my life and it was in 2005ish when wdfw screwed up the draw and I lost that tag.

I'm uber pissed as we've been burning leave and fuel as his tag is/was to open in a couple of weeks. So I pissed away a couple grand for nothing.

wapitibob

WKR
Looks like they fixed it and I don't see much of an issue other than taking way too long to correct it. The vendor not quality checking their software is a really bad look, this should have been caught way before the public draw.

Wrench

WKR
I would sure like to see an audit on this one.

My son has now been awarded a Turnbull cow tag. Wdfw move tag holders to areas that "could absorb pressure".....so I imagine it'll be a complete shi show with 200 kids trying to kill 15 elk with the usfw overseeing everything and complicating it even more.

Wrench

WKR
Looks like they fixed it and I don't see an issue other than taking way too long to correct it. The vendor not quality checking their software is a really bad look, this should have been caught way before the public draw.
It's not the first time they have done this....

Shifted my last choice to my first choice and sounds pretty common from a lot of other tag holders I spoke too. Pretty crummy for those who invested time scouting already

I would sure like to see an audit on this one.

My son has now been awarded a Turnbull cow tag. Wdfw move tag holders to areas that "could absorb pressure".....so I imagine it'll be a complete shi show with 200 kids trying to kill 15 elk with the usfw overseeing everything and complicating it even more.
that herds gotten huge out there. I turkey hunt around it a lot and I couldn’t believe last year and the year before how many elk there were compared to 5 or so years ago.

Wrench

WKR
that herds gotten huge out there. I turkey hunt around it a lot and I couldn’t believe last year and the year before how many elk there were compared to 5 or so years ago.
If you ever hunt elk here, you'll see how fast they move through. They will feed on the irrigated stuff all night and move back to the refuge at 20mph like it's nothing.

Grundy53

WKR
My antlerless moose tag changed from my 1st choice to my 4th choice. I had a couple buddies who drew a really good muley tag get theirs changed to a less desirable one.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

TheM1DoesMyTalking

Lil-Rokslider
I still didn't get selected for any tags, but mostly it's a shame for you guys that got one and then had the rug pulled out from under you.

Taking almost two weeks from when WDFW found out to when they sent the email today isn't a good look for them either. Poorly managed to say the least.